Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Discovery of Ancient Persian Army in Egypt!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovery of Ancient Persian Army in Egypt!
    Posted: 09-Nov-2009 at 10:26

I just read an interesting news in discovery website: http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/cambyses-army-remains-sahara.html

Vanished Persian Army Said Found in Desert

Bones, jewelry and weapons found in Egyptian desert may be the remains of Cambyses' army that vanished 2,500 years ago.

By Rossella Lorenzi | Sun Nov 08 2009 10:30 PM ET
cambyses army bones

Hundreds of bleached bones and skulls found in the desolate wilderness of the Sahara desert may be the remains of the long lost Cambyses' army, according to Italian researchers.
Alfredo and Angelo Castiglioni

The remains of a mighty Persian army said to have drowned in the sands of the western Egyptian desert 2,500 years ago might have been finally located, solving one of archaeology's biggest outstanding mysteries, according to Italian archaeologists.

Bronze weapons, a silver bracelet, an earring and hundreds of human bones found in the vast desolate wilderness of the Sahara desert have raised hopes of finally finding the lost army -- 50,000 strong -- of Persian King Cambyses II, buried by a cataclysmic sandstorm in 525 B.C.

WATCH VIDEO: Take a closer look at a valley of bones that researchers think may belong to the fabled lost army of Cambyses II.

VIEW A SLIDE SHOW: See some of the remains found in the Sahara Desert.

"We have found the first archaeological evidence of a story reported by the Greek historian Herodotus," Dario Del Bufalo, a member of the expedition from the University of Lecce, told Discovery News.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 09-Nov-2009 at 10:27
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2009 at 11:51
Those comparisons between discovered objects, like Persian earrings. and bas-reliefs of Persepolis are really interesting.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 09-Nov-2009 at 11:52
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2009 at 17:09
   You have to figure that sooner or later someone will have found these guys.  The question will remain as exactly how many of them perished out there.

What I'd like to see is if someone manages to find the remains of Alexander's men who perished crossing the Makran en route from the Indus valley...
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2009 at 03:56
Lets read what our president says: http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=111639&sectionid=351020105

Ahmadinejad orders search for 'legendary army'

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has tasked Iran's Cultural Heritage Organization (ICHO) to review new findings about an ancient Iranian army which is believed to have been lost in Egypt.
Kamran the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kamran the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2009 at 11:45
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Lets read what our president says: http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=111639&sectionid=351020105

Ahmadinejad orders search for 'legendary army'

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has tasked Iran's Cultural Heritage Organization (ICHO) to review new findings about an ancient Iranian army which is believed to have been lost in Egypt.

This would be the first time in the history of the I.R. that a presdient (or any other official, for that matter) gives two hoots about Persian history. For the past 30 years, ancient Persian history has been treated with contempt ... let's call a spade a spade, it's not the first i hear about the man caring for Persian heritage. When was the last time we heard an Iranian president talk about the nation's rich history with pride? Start bashing me if you so wish, but i say : "good on him" for this!

Edited by Kamran the Great - 19-Nov-2009 at 15:02
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2009 at 23:31
Of course as I read his ful letter in Persian: http://www.asriran.com/fa/pages/?cid=91025 he somehow has condemned the ancient Persian invasion to Egypt but he seems to be really proud of the ancient Persia. Anyway he is not a Mullah and can talk about these things, it is not the first time, I remember that he had also talked about Behistun and Darius the Great and against the movie '300'.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 19-Nov-2009 at 23:40
Kamran the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kamran the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2009 at 13:25

Of course as I read his ful letter in Persian: http://www.asriran.com/fa/pages/?cid=91025 he somehow has condemned the ancient Persian invasion to Egypt but he seems to be really proud of the ancient Persia. Anyway he is not a Mullah and can talk about these things, it is not the first time, I remember that he had also talked about Behistun and Darius the Great and against the movie '300'.
Thanks for the link, Cyrus!
Was there, maybe, a link within the link that i missed? After reading the Persian text, I could not find where you mention the invasion was condemned.

Have a great day.
Kamran
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 02:04
the Egyption civilization is to great but some contries don't appreciate this so i appreciate ur participation about the egyption history thanks for u
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2009 at 05:28
Originally posted by Kamran the Great

Thanks for the link, Cyrus!
Was there, maybe, a link within the link that i missed? After reading the Persian text, I could not find where you mention the invasion was condemned.

Have a great day.
Kamran
You are welcome, maybe I am wrong but I think he implicity condemns this invasion when he talks about Iranian science and moral actions and says history has recorded these things more.
 Post Reply Post Reply