Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parthians looked like which modern people?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vispaiti View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vispaiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parthians looked like which modern people?
    Posted: 14-Aug-2014 at 07:25
Originally posted by Shield-of-Dardania

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Head of a Parthian soldier, one of the earliest Parthian one, in Nisa, the first capital of Parthian empire in modern Turkmenistan:

They look like classical Patrician Romans, to me.

he looks for me typical for a Scythian and we must remember that Parthians were originally an nomadic eastern Iranian tribe
Vispaiti View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Vispaiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2014 at 07:23
Originally posted by Karlaswagnaz

I think they looks like North Mediterranean people, I think the Goths, Alans, Vandals and Sueves come from the same people as the Parthians.

Parthians had nothing to do with Germanic people of Europe.They orginated in modern Turkmenistan and spoke originally an eastern Iranian language but later they adopted Persian language and culture.It is very likely that modern turkmens look like the ancient Parthians.Most of them are turkized Iranian people
Karlaswagnaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Karlaswagnaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2014 at 01:41
I think they looks like North Mediterranean people, I think the Goths, Alans, Vandals and Sueves come from the same people as the Parthians.
Stars die and reborn...
Attis of Anatolia View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Attis of Anatolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2014 at 07:16
LOL

Phrygians and Trojan are Anatolian!!! ionian civilization originated Anatolia too i heard they are descend of luwians :D

Attis of Anatolia View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Attis of Anatolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2014 at 07:12
Parthians are iranian i think they have lot infulence of greeks :D
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Deathless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 08:10

Phrygia and Troy were just place names. My view, based on literature surveys, is that the people who inhabited them were basically Thracians, although Greeks would prefer to believe that Phyrygians and Trojans were Ionian Greeks.

If we consider that Ashkanians a.k.a Ashkuzai a.k.a. were Scythians, and that Scythians were in turn descended from Thracians before them, then it makes sense that an Ashkanian battalion would have fought on the side of the Trojans.

Really.. so Trojans were not genetically or culturally related to Greeks?

I don't want to be disrespectful my friend but you need to dig a bit more regarding Thracians.

-----

New in town.
Props for the site and a hi to all the nerdy addicted to history peeps LOL
Xorto View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Xorto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2010 at 22:23

Parthian Prince

The greatest kurdish commander of all time.

Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2010 at 03:36
Persian soldiers from Achaemenid times through the eyes of the ancient Greeks

The original image of Darius The Great from antique Greek vase. He had red hair and beard.

Not like this reproduction:

kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2010 at 04:04
if partian looked like the guy on this picture, then sure they look like many kurdish people in southern kurdestan . kermanshah and surrounding!

Edited by kalhur - 09-Apr-2010 at 04:12
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 21:50
Maybe it is an age situation? I am old by most accounts, and I have traveled throughout a lot of this planet! Or, perhaps some of us can see things as well as hear things tht others do not, or cannot?

But, I do seem to have an "ear" for languages and accents!

But, perhaps that is just an "old man" speaking? laugh!

Edited by opuslola - 05-Apr-2010 at 21:51
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 21:28
You sure? I can tell too, but only when they start speaking.LOL

Seriously though, Opus. I lived in England for seven years, and I never could tell between Anglo-Saxon, Dutch, Dane or German. Especially if they're all of similar coloured hair.

Finns I could begin to suspect a bit, their head and face shape tending, very slightly, toward Asiatic, I think. Whereas some dark haired, Mediterraneanish Frenchman(woman) also I could hazard a guess.
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 20:55
Since most all "White" people here in the South, where I was born and raised, can or did call England or Scotland, etc., as their home-country, I can tell, it seems, a difference between Danes and Germans, and even French, on a general basis, as well as Finnlanders, Swedes, etc.

Interestingly, Spain gives me more of a problem?, especially in Madrid! Catalonia is different entirely!
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 20:12
Originally posted by opuslola

I would go as far to say that one could well place Ali Larijan, Mohammad-Ali Ramia, and Muhammed-Bager Qualibaf, upon any street corner in Denmark, and they would be indistinguishable from any other Dane!

But, I could have mentioned most any street corner in the West! But, to me at least, they most resemble Danes!

Regards,
You could have also said Dutch, German or Anglo-Saxon, and I still wouldn't have disagreed with you. Only Qalibaf's eyes, to me, have that distinct Mediterraneanish, or perhaps, Indo-Europeanish, look.

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 05-Apr-2010 at 20:14
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 20:02

Head of a Parthian soldier, one of the earliest Parthian one, in Nisa, the first capital of Parthian empire in modern Turkmenistan:

They look like classical Patrician Romans, to me.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2010 at 14:18
I would go as far to say that one could well place Ali Larijan, Mohammad-Ali Ramia, and Muhammed-Bager Qualibaf, upon any street corner in Denmark, and they would be indistinguishable from any other Dane!

But, I could have mentioned most any street corner in the West! But, to me at least, they most resemble Danes!

Regards,
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2010 at 02:58

There are some interesting connections between Phrygians and Parthians (Ashkanian in Persian, Ashkuz in Assyrian, Ashkenaz in Hebrew [the Hebrew word is also used for "Germany"]), as you read in The Iliad, By Homer, the ancient Greek poet says "Godlike Ascanius and Phorcys brought the Phrygians from remote Ascania;"

The kingdom was created by Indo-Europeans who began to infiltrate into Bithynia in western Anatolia from the Balkans after about 1450 BC. Moving south and east, they settled the region a little way inland from the north-western corner of Anatolia, with Mysia and the Troad to their north-west. Linguistically, they bore some relationship with the Armenians who later occupied the mountains in the north of Mesopotamia in the kingdoms of Nairi and Urartu.

fl c.1180s BC

Ascanius

His dau, Hecuba, m Priam of Troy.

c.1193 - 1183 BC

Prince Ascanius and Phorcys lead the Phrygian contingent from remote Ascania to the Trojan War on the side of Troy.

Phrygia and Troy were just place names. My view, based on literature surveys, is that the people who inhabited them were basically Thracians, although Greeks would prefer to believe that Phyrygians and Trojans were Ionian Greeks.

If we consider that Ashkanians a.k.a Ashkuzai a.k.a. were Scythians, and that Scythians were in turn descended from Thracians before them, then it makes sense that an Ashkanian battalion would have fought on the side of the Trojans.
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2010 at 02:41

Cyr,

Cambodia the modern country is located in South East Asia, sandwiched between Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.

Kamboja the ancient Indo-Iranian tribe inhabited the Western Himalayas, the Pamir-Badakshan region and the Hindu Kush.

The people of Cambodia (Kambu-ja), i.e. the Khmers, believe their country's name means, in Sanskrit, 'sons of Kambu', this Kambu being an ancient South Indian brahmin of royal blood, who may or may not have had Indo-Iranian ancestry, who is claimed to have founded the earliest ancient Cambodian kingdom.

As for Kamboja the ancient Indo-Iranian tribe of the Western Himalayas, some people believe that the Tajiks, natives of Tajikistan, are their modern descendants. They are a goodlooking people, as historical documents are usually fond of saying about the Indo-Iranian Kamboja. I also happened to have met a Tajik girl before, she was ... well ... quite well blessed in tke looks department ... I would say. Tall (about 5 ft. 10, very fair skinned, long dark hair, light brown eyes. Classical Indo-Aryan beauty, I thought.

The Indo-Iranian Kamboja warrior king, Kambujiya, is mentioned in ancient legend as having fought an ancient North Indian king named Kuvalasahava, of the kingdom of Kosala, bordering Magadha. Kambujiya defeated Kuvalashava and wrested a sword called 'Daivi Khadga', which meant 'Divine Sword' in Sanskrit. The sword was also said to later, centuries later, have been carried by several ancient Indian kings, among them the legendary Hindu archer-warrior Arjuna mentioned in the Mahabrata.

Arjuna in fact fought against a descendant of Kambujiya named Sudakhshina in the Battle of Kurukshetra, where the Kamboja tribe was a reluctant participant forced to join in on the request of a friendly ally, the kaurava tribe. Sudakhshina whupped Arjuna into a swoon, but Arjuna recovered and slew Sudakhshina with his arrow.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2010 at 02:01

I'd like to know if anyone here has come across anything saying that the early Achaemenid kings, including Cyrus the Great, claim descent from one Kambujiya, eponymous ancestor of the Kamboja tribe that supposedly inhabited the western Himalayas.

My own research has also led to me finding that the Kamboja were like the Asiatic i.e. Himalayan, branch of the Cymmerians.
The names of Cambyses (Modern Persian Kambiz) and Cambodia could be certainly related, but there could be no relation between Cambyses and Cambodians, as I have found the second part of the word is "Bujia" which means "Beige", Greek "Byssus", a fine woolen fabric, and the first part of the word is "Kam" which means "robe, cloak". Babylonian "Kambuzi" is said to be the title of kings of Babylon who wore a woolen robe each New Year.

Similar words can be found in other langauages:

Chemise is a French term (which today simply means shirt). This is a cognate of the Italian word camicia, and the Spanish / Portuguese word camisa (subsequently borrowed as kameez by Hindi / Urdu / Hindustani), all deriving ultimately from the Latin camisia, itself coming from Celtic (The Romans avidly imported cloth and clothes from the Celts).[1] The English called the same shirt a smock and the Irish called it a léine (pronounced /ˈleɪnjə/). For an alternative etymology from Persian via Arabic and ultimately Greek, rather than Latin roots, refer entry under Kameez.

The shirt, kameez or qamiz, takes its name from the Arabic qamis. There are two main hypotheses regarding the origin of the Arabic word, namely:

1. that Arabic qamis is derived from the Latin camisia (shirt), which in its turn comes from the Proto-Indo-European kem (‘cloak’).[4]
  2. that Mediaeval Latin camisia is a borrowing through Hellenistic Greek kamision from the Central Semitic root “qmṣ”, represented by Ugaritic qmṣ (‘garment’) and Arabic qamīṣ (‘shirt’). Both of these are related to the Hebrew verb קמץ qmṣ (‘grip’, ‘enclose with one’s hand’).[5]
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2010 at 18:40
@Kanas Krumesis,
I read somewhere that early Bolgars were a Western Turkic people, related to the Oghuz, the Slavicisation occurring some time later.

Any possible truth in that?
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2010 at 18:29

I think that, Opuslola, Indo-European is just a bigger cluster than European. I've heard guys say that European, as well as Arab, budded off as relatively younger offshoots of Indo-European.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>