Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Games of the Ancient World

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ancient Games View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ancient Games Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Games of the Ancient World
    Posted: 10-Sep-2009 at 13:05
Usually he just does a lot of research and he's good at inventing games in the first place so he tweaks "guessed rules" to make more sense as he plays them with me and his brother.
My BF (Bennett) is also somewhat of a history buff. He's getting his AA in history right now.
Thanks for the link on the Jiroft board game. I'll be sure to pass it along to him. =)

http://bennettlloyd.webs.com/ - Games of the Ancient World.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2009 at 12:01
Welcome, it can be an interesting thread, did you know about the 5,000 years old Jiroft Game Boards which were discovered some years ago: http://www.goddesschess.com/chessquest/jiroft.html Question Of course I think you yourselves should discover how to play these games, do you have any experience in discovering the rules of ancient games?

60 Men on the Board? The Mysterious Rules of the Burnt City

On December of 2004 the Iranian Cultural Heritage News Agency announced the details of its latest exciting uncovering.  The joint team of Italian and Iranian archeologist had unearthed what might be the original model of the millennia-old backgammon game, from which other versions were copied from and sent out to the rest of the region in later years. 

The game artifacts, found in the Iranian city of Shahr-e Sukhteh (Persian for “burnt city”) exposed a puzzling question for the experts who compared the ancient remains to the modern version of backgammon.  Unlike backgammon remains previously discovered in Mesopotamia that showed a stronger resemblance to the present-day game, the burnt city remains suggested that a civilization 100-200 years older than the former must have had a different set of rules.

The relics of the 5,000-year-old civilization included a rectangular board made of ebony, a material which was probably imported to the region from India.  Where the game pieces differed from the current version is in the board’s 20 slots and not 24 like we know today.  Additionally, 60 pieces made of stone were found nearby that most strongly suggested a different set of rules to the game by this people.  The subject is still debated today and only serves to add to the historical mystique of this most ancient past-time.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 10-Sep-2009 at 12:21
Ancient Games View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ancient Games Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2009 at 08:47
Hello.
   My BF is currently on a business endeavor of making Ancient board games to sell.
I've been looking online to try and help him discover some new ones so that he can expand his stock, but I haven't been very successful.
If any of you are familiar and can suggest some games that might be cool to make I'd really appreciate it.
The website (if you want to see what he already is making) is in my signature.
Thanks in advance.
Katie~
http://bennettlloyd.webs.com/ - Games of the Ancient World.
 Post Reply Post Reply