Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jumong, Korean Hero of Iran!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jumong, Korean Hero of Iran!!
    Posted: 08-Sep-2009 at 05:09

Gojoseon has fallen to the Han Empire of China. All that is left are separate city-states that have no choice but to appease the Han Empire. In the series, the Han are portrayed as cruel, taking refugees prisoner and demonstrating their new iron weapons on them.

Hae Mosu, a legendary soldier, joins forces with Geumwa, the crown prince of Buyeo, in order to counter Han savagery, creating the Damulgun, (Damul army) a band of soldiers who defend Gojoseon refugees. Hae Mosu is injured after a skirmish against Han soldiers, and floats down a river, half alive. The princess of the Haebaek tribe (Lady Yuhwa) finds him and nurses him back to health. However, the Han are looking for Hae Mosu, and discovering that the man the princess was sheltering looked like (and was) Hae Mosu, they raze the tribe to the ground. Hae Mosu escapes just in time and travels until he meets a caravan from the tribe of Gyeh-Ru. ...

Yesterday Ayatullah Ali Khamenei, Iran's Supreme Leader, talked about Korean historical drama "Jumong", as you can read here in Persian, he said I know that is really an acrative TV serial and a large number of Iranians watch this Korean drama but we ourselves can make better movies by using Iranian historical sources like Shahnameh (Iran's national epic) and we should do it.

If you search for "Jumong" in Google News: http://news.google.com/news/search?um=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=Jumong then you will find some other things about this TV series in Iran, the fact is that this Korean drama has had a strong cultural influence on Iran, as I heard some Iranians have named their sons "Jumong"!

Jumong actor thrills Iranian fans: http://www.tehrantimes.com/news/10668/16_RM29.jpg

TEHRAN -- South Korean actor Song Il-Guk of the TV series “Jumong” is amazingly here in Tehran having been invited by LG Electronics Group, and he attended a press conference on Tuesday.

The actor was enthusiastically greeted by hundreds of reporters and fans and took part in a conference held at the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) International Conference Hall.

He first expressed his gratitude to the LG Group for their invitation and for providing the facilities for him to travel to Iran and said, “I thank the people of Iran a hundred times for their warm welcome here and at the airport”.

“Iran was a strange country for me before I made the trip and I only knew a bit about it from historical books. I was not aware that the TV series was so popular in Iran. I had heard that I have a lot of fans here in Iran and I am thankful for that. I hope I can also introduce the culture of Korea well.”

There are some other interesting stories about Soseono, Jumong's love, in Iran:

An Iranian teen has tried to commit suicide because he was not allowed to go to S.Korea to meet the love of his life, the star actress of the series Han Hye-Jin. Han Hye-Jin plays Soseono, Jumong's love interest and later Queen. The parents of the teen bemoaned that they could have sold all their sheep that they possess, and they still wouldn't have had enough for their son to marry the Korean actress, let alone have enough to buy their son's airfare to Korea. His parents opposed the marriage. The Iranian youth steeped in sadness, took poison. Luckily he was discovered in time and was rushed to hospital where he was in stable condition. Iran is swept up in this 2006 drama series as it has a 60% viewer rating, but the drama is causing some social problems like suicide. I imagine being a Muslim country, this is unheard of. There you have it, Korean drama not only turns you dumber, it can also kill you.

Korean language report here about the suicide attempt:
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...p;newssetid=487 
SNK_1408 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SNK_1408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 20:24
I have never knew 'Jumong' TV series was so popular in Iran. I've heard Jumong was also very popular in Uzbekistan.
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 21:05
JuMong is very popular in Iran, I remember when some friends of mine told me they heard Ahmedinejad joking about more people showing up to see JuMong than they ever would to see him. How dare he compare himself to JuMong LOL LOL
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 06:26
Selective memory.  Chinese invaded and colonized a portion of northern Korea for over 400 years.  It was from this colony that Chinese culture, religion, etiquette spread to the rest of Koreans and Japan.  It was like the "Cordoba or Alhambra" in Spain when the Moors ruled there.  Exchanges, friendly mixing, occured too.  Koreans only remembered the bad parts.  Chinese were always like 'big brothers' to them.  If not, they would be savaged and nomadic like the Manchus and Mongols too.
 Post Reply Post Reply