Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Discovered Assyrian Bas-relief in Ilam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Discovered Assyrian Bas-relief in Ilam
    Posted: 07-Sep-2009 at 10:01
http://eng.chtn.ir/newsShow.aspx?ID=6637

CHTN- '' The bas-relief was found at the end of Mishakhes River, 2 km from Heidarabad, which is believed to be belonging to a king,'' said head of Ilam CHTO Masood Eskandari.

The bas-relief carved as a person standing with beard and hat shaped like cone, he added.

The bas-relief has a stick in hand and a sword on his waist along with star, moon and sun patterns, he noted.

According to experts studies the bas-relief probably belong to Ashurbanipal the son of Esarhaddon, was the last great king of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. He established the first systematically organized library in the ancient Middle East, the Library of Ashurbanipal, which survives in part today at Nineveh.

I found some pics:

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2009 at 14:24
Sorry, but it may as well be the great face on Mars! I see nothing I would consider manmade, but then I an not there, and I am not an expert in rock carving!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Hammurabi Disciple View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hammurabi Disciple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2010 at 19:28
An amazing find! Very similar to Esarhaddon and his mother Na'qia walking in procession, while hold a small unexplained object to their noses. I believe there is a rack carving at Malta in northern Iraq that has his father, Sennacherib doing the same. Please feel free to comment.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 08:16
I think you mean this one:

You are right, these are similar, it seems they are smelling something, of course it can be a stylus which can be seen in some other Assyrian bas-reliefs.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 08:53
OK, now I see it! Perhaps they are using their cell phones?

But, I also seem to see another carving above the "Conical" hat! Especially in the third close up! It seems to be a man (beard) wearing a circular hat, and in a running position going in the opposite direction, with his left arm extending along side of the ellipitical outline, and his other (right) arm extended forward!

Do any of you also see this?

In the second relief, maybe they are kissing a religious symbol, like an ankh? or cross?

Also, we may well be seeing the taller figure also carry the "sceptre" in the left hand, and the smaller or lower figure might well be carrying an "Orb?", either that or a lollypop?

What do ya'll think?

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 21-Apr-2010 at 08:59
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply