Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My One Day Trip to Soltaniyeh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My One Day Trip to Soltaniyeh
    Posted: 22-Aug-2009 at 12:04

http://wikimapia.org/13028469/Dome-of-Soltaniyeh

Dome of Soltaniyeh is the Mausoleum of Il-khan Öljeitü also known as Muhammad Khodabandeh. The structure, erected from 1302 until 1312. Its importance in the Muslim world may be compared to that of Brunelleschi's cupola for the Christian architecture. In 2005, UNESCO listed Soltaniyeh as one of the World Heritage Sites.

The dome of Soltaniyeh, a masterpiece of architectural innovation, is the largest brick dome in Iran. Moreover, it ranks among the largest domes ever constructed in the Middle Ages and was the tallest double-shelled dome in the world, at its time. It is one of the outstanding examples of the achievements of Persian architecture and a key monument in the development of its Islamic architecture. The Dome of Soltaniyeh paved the way for more daring Muslim cupola constructions, such as the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasavi and Taj Mahal.

The octagonal building is crowned with a 50m-tall dome covered in turquoise blue faience and surrounded by eight slender minarets. Its remarkable interior decorations is in the form of glazed tiles, brickwork, marquetry, stuccos and frescoes. The decorated surface in the monument was estimated as 9000 square meters, making the dome of Soltaniyeh one of the most decorated monuments in Iran. The dense use of stucco designs in the interior decoration of the mausoleum is also one of the rare examples in Iran of the 14th century.

UNESCO World Heritage: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1188

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 22-Aug-2009 at 12:05
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 07:09
nice to see that there are no more steel rods around dome.
What about inside?? are there those steel web?
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 07:20
& here is my own photos from twice trip to Soltaniyeh in 2008 & 2009.

Dome of Soltaniyeh, Oldest & Greatest one in World
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/e79cb/1aaccc

Dome of Soltaniyeh & Citadel
1st floor & Sardab
Torbat khane
2nd floor
3rd floor
3rd floor, Ceilings

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 07:59

This was my second visit to Soltaniyeh too, of course in my primary aim in the first trip was to visit the Chinese Temple of Dragons in the south of Soltaniyeh: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4575

Nothing has been changed inside the dome, I think they can't remove that steel web maybe because there is no column.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 08:08
yes, I remember your Dashkasan page.

did you visit mola hassan kashi & Xanqah in soltanye?

Cyrus on ur next trip, go to Katalexor cave
Katale Khor Cave 86.07.27
Katale Khor Cave 87.04.26

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 12:41
I didn't visit those ones but went to that wonderful cave!

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 13:59
beautiful building
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
mickeyy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mickeyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 04:34
Soltaniyeh is indeed one of the outstanding examples of the achievements of Persian architecture and a key monument in the development of Islamic architecture.. I love this place :-)
Thanks for sharing these beautiful pics, saving these pics to forward it to my sister.
Regards,
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 15:07
The caves remind me of my visits to both Mammoth Cave in Kentucky, USA, as well as Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, USA!

Both were great experiences!

Thanks,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 12:42
Wonderful perfection of geometry.Main purpose is accomplished.God's presence you feel even here.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2011 at 15:12
Dear "albie", I noted that you live in Cyprus! I have noted over the last 30 or so years, that the division of this Island, has really caused a dearth of archaeological discoveries, since one side will not co-operate with the other, no matter what!

Are attitudes like this still extant there?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2011 at 15:46
A general view of the dome:

A historical painting:

Post Reply Post Reply