Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Agia Sophia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Agia Sophia
    Posted: 19-Aug-2009 at 15:49
Here is a photo a Turkish friend took while he showed me around Istanbul. The great Agia Sophia- Church of the Holy Wisdom which later became a Mosque and then a museum. I prefer it stay a museum and not revert to a Mosque or church but I love the way they are uncovering the religious paintings. I went to see the church eight times while I was there and would usually stay inside for 2-3 hours just walking around in utter amazement. It is not just the structure but the fact that it was part of my ancestral heritage and all the great people, including my ancestors, who had entered this great church. It was like some force would not allow me to leave the sanctuary. I would love to spend a night there- creepy!! So many people were part of this great feat of architecture. Despite being crowded with tourists the church is so huge that you can still feel alone in places.

by Bulent
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 06:41
Many do want it to become a church  or mosque again.  If Turkey wants a publicity stunt to overcome some resistance  in EU nations against  possible EU membership, making it a church again will score a lot of points ( esp.  in Greece, Cyprus etc. ). But that's politics . 

The structure is marvelous. More pics :

Hagia/Aya Sophia By Night

The exit

Edited by Sander - 20-Aug-2009 at 07:40
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2009 at 10:18
Originally posted by Sander

Many do want it to become a church  or mosque again.  If Turkey wants a publicity stunt to overcome some resistance  in EU nations against  possible EU membership, making it a church again will score a lot of points ( esp.  in Greece, Cyprus etc. ). But that's politics . 

The exit

It is an amazing building and even when I was outside I would sit in the beautiful park with the water fountain and just stare at it for hours, and enjoy the pretty Turkish gals walking by.
This is something I usually do when I am out in the wilderness to enjoy its beauty. If it become a Mosque again then all the painting that they have uncovered would once again be plastered over. I am glad the Turks had some respect for them and simply covered them up vs. destroying them like the Statues of buda.

Thanks for adding those pice- it brought back memories.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2009 at 10:27
Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by Sander

The exit

It is an amazing building and even when I was outside I would sit in the beautiful park with the water fountain and just stare at it for hours, and enjoy the pretty Turkish gals walking by.
This is something I usually do when I am out in the wilderness to enjoy its beauty. If it become a Mosque again then all the painting that they have uncovered would once again be plastered over. I am glad the Turks had some respect for them and simply covered them up vs. destroying them like the Statues of buda.

Thanks for adding those pice- it brought back memories.

My Turkish friend who took the photo, upon my request, tried to reduce the amount of minarets in the photo. Later, some friend at home took it to photo shop and erased the one minaret and then add a cross on top but it turned out to be the wrong type of cross, not an Orthodox one.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2010 at 09:35
It might be noted, since I have also been there, that the photo was taken with the famous Blue Mosque being at the back of the photographer! The pool is also regularly enlightened by a beautiful fountain display!

I think that eventhough the structure of the place is wonderful, it was the quality of the slabs of beautiful marble that impressed me the most!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 05:48
Lamp PART

I hope, it stays a museum forever and Spain, Vatican and EU can also remind to turn Cathedral-Mosque of Cordoba as a musuem

Angry PART

Nuke In todays Hagia Sophia photoes, removing its minarets and put a cross on its top or trying especially to take a photo of Hagia Sophia without minarets are selfish, thoughtless and fascist ideas.  Like putting minarets near the historical Hagia Sofia church figures or today's Parthenon photoes. They are barbaric, vandal acts.

fascist photo sample

Of cource you can use the historical figures/photoes of converted building about its pre-convertion period and you have to do it to explain building history

Parthenon example for historical figure(its mosque period)

Or in created images which try to explain history(examples; a image which shows historical Ottoman Athens and a image which shows Byzantine period of Istanbul)

You can't remove minarets in up image or you can't add minarets below Hagia Sofia because it shows the Hagia Sophia figure and city's map which is before Ottoman Conquest.

if you change today's photoesa according to your political, ethic or religion perspective, I can't find more thing to tell you with my narrow english vacobulary.

--------------------------------------------------------
 Big smile PART

Golden Horn and Hagia Sofia

inside

maybe you don't know
this angel figure(back wall) is one of the new things. after 160 years, people can see it again

tunnels under the Hagia Sofia

Computer İmages

The image
from Turkish guy, shows Hagia Sofia as a church because it is showing year 1453

Civilization (computer game)

Star PART
When you visit Hagia Sophia, don't forget respect its all history; İslamic, Christian and of course Pagan. It was built on Apollon temple so remember god Apollon too.
Star
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 01:15
my photoes

Entrence

Main Hole

Mosaics

Latin Commander                                                  Ottoman Glazes

Last pictures

Edited by Ollios - 07-Mar-2012 at 01:39
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
myzel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote myzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 08:17
Purty. The blue mosque is also gorgeous but the hagia sophia is so much more impressive when you're standing under its dome. It is just an amazing architectural feat; one the Ottomans apparently could not replicate since the dome of the blue mosque is held up by two massive pillars.
Dritasam View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Dritasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 17:53
so many amazing pictures in this post! 
drita
 Post Reply Post Reply