Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Caucasians with beards in Meso America

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Caucasians with beards in Meso America
    Posted: 19-Sep-2009 at 05:23
Originally posted by Sander

Note that Pachacutec admits he has no evidence for his claims.

For everyone that know just a bit of science and how things are proven, it would be clear that you can't prove "by negation". You can't prove that there aren't dinosaurs on the planet, or that there aren't allien green martians living among us. That doesn't mean they exist! Not al all.

Actually I can't even prove Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Isolationist scholars 'claims and opinion  are of  no importance unless supported by evidence.  
The claim  that a civilization developed in isolation as the Isolationist claim,  is  contrary to what human history shows. Its even more absurd  to claim the Indians  were the only  people in the world who did so!  

False. That's exactly what the History of the Americas show!

Such  is easily linked to politics.  It well known in the world  that claiming the Indians as isolated until discovery is used to maintain sovereignty  over them and the lands.   ( see also Kehoe op.cit. )
Up to now,  no counter evidence is presented  relevant to the topic! 

Well, Diffusionism has ALWAYS been linked with RACISM. Mainly White racism and nazism. But more recently Yellow and Black racism, too. Even the Mormon variant of racism is involved. All of those SUPREMACIST movements promote DIFUSION.

cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 07:33
There are no proofs of contacts, this is the fact. Yet if we consider shipbuilding technology that ended in European discovery of Americas (as some American Indian leader said: What is this big fuss about a white guy that got lost), it was inferior to many technologies that preceded it or existed at the same time. If I wanted sea adventure in that time, I would choose Polynesians anytime. The same holds for Science and in particular Astronomy and Navigation. Europe was not that hot in these fields until XVIII century. Actually, it is amazing that Columbus made it in such a primitive ship. It was certainly less sea worthy than Viking Drakkar.
It is speculation at this time but it is not as outrageous as it may look. The European Diffusionism may be racists, but idea of contacts among various civilizations is not. Maybe we should open another topic about maritime technology, it could well relate to this topic.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 08:37
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

The European Diffusionism may be racists, but idea of contacts among various civilizations is not. Maybe we should open another topic about maritime technology, it could well relate to this topic.
And perhaps we should also re-define "contact". For example. contact can mean
A- Contact that leads to a direct exchange of culture and technology that directly impacts both civilizations
B- Temporary and rare contact by small groups of nearly the same culture / technology that leaves little or no impact on both civilizations.

"B" type contact with the new world is entirely possible. My guess is that "b" type contact was more likely to occur with Polynesians or  indigenous north east Asians. They had much of the same  culture as the Amerindians and would less likely make a big impact.

Even by the time of Columbus, the existance of a large land mass to the west was a well known "unknown" in Europe (among the several thousand deep sea sailors). My guess is that the Polynesians, during their glory days, had the same knowledge from sporadic "B" type contact.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 08:58
Originally posted by Cryptic

[
And perhaps we should also re-define "contact". For example. contact can mean
A- Contact that leads to a direct exchange of culture and technology that directly impacts both civilizations
B- Temporary and rare contact by small groups of nearly the same culture / technology that leaves little or no impact on both civilizations.

"B" type contact with the new world is entirely possible. My guess is that "b" type contact was more likely to occur with Polynesians or  indigenous north east Asians. They had much of the same  culture as the Amerindians and would less likely make a big impact.

Even by the time of Columbus, the existance of a large land mass to the west was a well known "unknown" in Europe (among the several thousand deep sea sailors). My guess is that the Polynesians, during their glory days, had the same knowledge from sporadic "B" type contact.

We agree on many levels. Being rational, I would go for B type contacts. No one would have resources to establish some regular trade routes. Sporadic is the perfect word. Another thing, there was no population pressure, except for Polynesians and early Vikings, to look for major colonies or settlements outside of their own geographic area.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 09:55

Type "B" contacts maybe possible. But rationally who got the chances to make it? From the Old World the few people that HAD the technology to do it were:

(1) The Polynesians with theirs superbs catamarans; not early that the 12th century AD.

(2) The Chinese with theirs imperial fleets. Not earlier than the 15th century AD.

(3) The Arabs, with theirs latin sail ships; not earlier than the 9th century AD.

(4) The Inuits and Amerindians to reach Europe (surprise). They have the skills since 8th century AD. Curiously it is the only of these hipotetical "discoverers" of whom there are some circumstancial written evidence.

Forget about Roman, Greek or Phoenician rowing boats. They wouldn't have reached the Americas at all, but sank on the middle of the Atlantic. Less would do the trick those elephant transport ships romans had.

Now, not of them would have changed or influenced the development of the Civilizations of the Americas that started a lot earlier. Around 1000 BC in Mesoamerica, and about 3000 BC in Peru.
Even more, no matter Norse reached the Americas, there is any evidence they influenced local natives in any way.

Therefore, for all practical purposes, the Americas were an isolated continent.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 11:19
Originally posted by Pachacutec

(4) The Inuits and Amerindians to reach Europe (surprise). They have the skills since 8th century AD. Curiously it is the only of these hipotetical "discoverers" of whom there are some circumstancial written evidence.

I am nor surprised as I think Baidarka was one of the most sea worthy vessels ever built (it is type of kayak). 
 I know of Aleuts (relatives of  Inuits) being able to go more than 1000 miles in 64 days in their kayaks in the Bering Sea.
The similar craft could reach Europe from Greenland easily.

Don't put down rowing type of vessels. They were quite effective at covering long distances and had a square sail to sail downwind. Viking vessels fit in that category too.

Could you expand on your statement about Inuits?

Edited by cavalry4ever - 20-Sep-2009 at 11:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 11:48
The profecy of Seneca (Chorus of Book II, Medea) is the main proof against Romans reaching the Americas.

With respect to Inuits and Amerindians in Europe, it is all explained in this old thread

Also you could find more info in this book of Jack D. Forbes:

Edited by Pachacutec - 20-Sep-2009 at 11:50
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2009 at 15:09

Type "B" contacts maybe possible. But rationally who got the chances to make it? From the Old World the few people that HAD the technology to do it were:
(1) The Polynesians with theirs superbs catamarans; not early that the 12th century AD.

(2) The Chinese with theirs imperial fleets. Not earlier than the 15th century AD.

(3) The Arabs, with theirs latin sail ships; not earlier than the 9th century AD.
I dont think that Arabs and Chinese would have made type "B" contacts. Their vastly different physical appereance (at least with Arabs), material culture, religion would have made a type "A" impact on the Amerindians. In addition, the Arabs were likely to attempt numerous return trips after initial contact.

With Polynesians, however, type "B" contact seems more likely.  The Polynesians had a similar material culture,  physical appreance, spirituality to the amerindians and type "A" contacts are less likely. Furthermore, the Polynesians could gain, lose and regain canoe knowledge, making return trips less likely.     

I can see the following scenario:
Sporadic visits by "glory day" Polynesians occur in Peru and California. The strangers are noted by Amerindians, but the similar culture, appreance, spirituality etc. of the Polynesians does not leave type "A" impacts on the locals. 

Then, stresses occur in Polynesian society. The trips, already dangerous in the best of times, are no longer made. The Polynesians gradually forget about the direct contact and only remember the existance of the New World in general terms.  The archaelogical record of the type "B" contact is scant or non existant.  

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Sep-2009 at 15:26
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 08:24

...You are almost sounding like Pinguin with that sort of stuff. Read this: Some cultural exchanging with the other civilizations on earth does not make the indians inferior or something.  Romans, Arabs,  Turks , Africans , Chinese etc etc. all builded civilizations with some mutual exchanging. 

The problem is very simple. There aren’t contacts to the Americas certified by science; none at all. Not a single case. The Americas were completely isolated from the rest of the world, since 12.000 years ago, with only two exceptions.

(1)   The Inuit reached the New World’s Arctic circa 2.000 years ago.

(2)   The Norse reached New Foundland around 1.000 A.D.

vs.

But not contact has been proved whatsoever, at any time after the Bering Strait closed.

You contradict yourself there. Eskimo's are also contact. They came from the old world, and they went back to the old world, to and fro ( "Eskimo" is a slur, but I don't know what to call them otherwise? It's supposed to be an umbrella term). The open Bering Strait was no hindrance at all.

There's also the evidence that the earliest Proto-Eskimo or Paleo-Eskimo came at an earlier time than the "true" Thule Inuits (they did, it's undebatable). Much earlier than 2K years ago. We know that, because their bodies still exist in Greenland, in a frozen state.

Some evidence suggests that they came island hopping across the Aleutian Islands. Others suggest that their inception was in the Americas, and that they "hopped" the other way! That would mean that they have been there for thousands of years beyond the pre Dorset cultures!  That would kind of mean that "Eskimos" really are first nations peoples just as Amerindians, and that their presence in the Americas may be almost as old as the Dine/Tinglit etc.
Of course, that's speculative, maybe we will have more evidence in the future.

In general about this subject.,

Some Amerindians do have beards. Inuits too. Siberians also.

It's a bit far fetched to base any conclusion on those semi stylised busts and statues, when lots of optional explanations can be considered.

To think that some of you claim that not only did they come from the outside, but you specifically assume that they're Mediterranean, now That’s a far fetched fantasy baseless assumption with very little supportive evidence, except some vaguely presumed resemblance of some statues.

Ps. I can't really be bothered to find any references for the first part.

Edited by Jams - 04-Oct-2009 at 08:43
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 12:27
Originally posted by Jams

...You are almost sounding like Pinguin with that sort of stuff. Read this: Some cultural exchanging with the other civilizations on earth does not make the indians inferior or something.  Romans, Arabs,  Turks , Africans , Chinese etc etc. all builded civilizations with some mutual exchanging. 

The problem is very simple. There aren’t contacts to the Americas certified by science; none at all. Not a single case. The Americas were completely isolated from the rest of the world, since 12.000 years ago, with only two exceptions.

(1)   The Inuit reached the New World’s Arctic circa 2.000 years ago.

(2)   The Norse reached New Foundland around 1.000 A.D.

vs.

But not contact has been proved whatsoever, at any time after the Bering Strait closed.

You contradict yourself there. Eskimo's are also contact. They came from the old world, and they went back to the old world, to and fro ( "Eskimo" is a slur, but I don't know what to call them otherwise? It's supposed to be an umbrella term). The open Bering Strait was no hindrance at all.

There's also the evidence that the earliest Proto-Eskimo or Paleo-Eskimo came at an earlier time than the "true" Thule Inuits (they did, it's undebatable). Much earlier than 2K years ago. We know that, because their bodies still exist in Greenland, in a frozen state.

Some evidence suggests that they came island hopping across the Aleutian Islands. Others suggest that their inception was in the Americas, and that they "hopped" the other way! That would mean that they have been there for thousands of years beyond the pre Dorset cultures!  That would kind of mean that "Eskimos" really are first nations peoples just as Amerindians, and that their presence in the Americas may be almost as old as the Dine/Tinglit etc.
Of course, that's speculative, maybe we will have more evidence in the future.

That might be the case, but the  Inuit issue should  be elaborated  elsewhere.  If  this threads  diverts too much,  postings  will be transported to other  threads .

In general about this subject.,

Some Amerindians do have beards. Inuits too. Siberians also.

It's a bit far fetched to base any conclusion on those semi stylised busts and statues, when lots of optional explanations can be considered.

To think that some of you claim that not only did they come from the outside, but you specifically assume that they're Mediterranean, now That’s a far fetched fantasy baseless assumption with very little supportive evidence, except some vaguely presumed resemblance of some statues.

Ps. I can't really be bothered to find any references for the first part.

Jams disputes, but its solely arguing without presenting any contra-evidence. 

Not one American figure with such facial features and beards  that antedates the Olmecs is shown.  Thus any suggestion that  such beards, features and artstyle were  there before the Olmecs is unsupported.  All antedate in the Med. /Middle East. 

Star

Edited by Sander - 05-Oct-2009 at 04:49
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2009 at 15:25
Pachacutec wrote

Well, Diffusionism has ALWAYS been linked with RACISM. Mainly White racism and nazism. But more recently Yellow and Black racism, too. Even the Mormon variant of racism is involved. All of those SUPREMACIST movements promote DIFUSION.

You have just 24 hours to show sources and support for this asinine statement.  It should be known that I have zero tolerance for racism of any kind, it should also be known that I am  a diffusionist.  So, I have been called a lot of things in my 62 years, but racist isn't one of them.

Our friend is practicing the worst kind of racism, that which hides as a legitimate effort to protect the culture of one group while attacking and invalidating that of another.

24 hours, and I want 3 peer reviewed sources for this pile of ****.

Edited by red clay - 04-Oct-2009 at 15:33
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2009 at 10:18

Jams disputes, but its solely arguing without presenting any contra-evidence.

Not one American figure with such facial features and beards  that antedates the Olmecs is shown.  Thus any suggestion that  such beards, features and artstyle were  there before the Olmecs is unsupported.  All antedate in the Med. /Middle East.

Star

I don't have to present any evidence. It's you that make the assumption. It's an interpretation on your part, not the actual evidence itself. The evidence does not support such a specific interpretation, which is what I said.

I did write that some people of the Americas have beards, which means that other explanations are possible. I can't say that that's what those figures represent, but the fact that they seem to have beards (maybe that's what they are meant to be, maybe not) does not prove that they are Mediterranean peoples, especially considering the relatively stylised nature of the art in general.

That does not mean that I absolutely deny the possibility that they do represent Mediterranean visitors, I just say that the evidence does not support that notion the way you say.

Edited by Jams - 05-Oct-2009 at 10:27
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 04:13

C4E posted on Diffusionism and diffusion ( 2 different concepts)   Its transferred to a new thread where we have all space . I 'll join some what later    Big smile  :

Back to the  beards
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 06:50

A Florida area Native American, 1700s.

Selocta, Creek, 1836-44

Holmes Colbert, a Chickasaw, 1850s.

Ely Parker, an Iroquois of the Seneca tribe, late

AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 06:54
I have no problem with starting new thread, it is interesting topic. Sander - you are wrong about separating diffusion and diffusionism. Diffusionism is based on theory of diffusion and is not a different concept. It is often used interchangeably by Historians. I consider diffusionism as a body of work and contributions around theory of diffusion. Often -ism has a pejorative meaning as any theory may get twisted by its followers.
When I use word theory, this is in a context of Humanities and it does not have the same meaning as a scientific theory. 

Edited by cavalry4ever - 06-Oct-2009 at 07:00
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 07:58
Of course one of the top supporters of diffusionism was the late Thor Hyerdahl. It must be remembered that he was a believer in the natural conveyors of the sea, the Ocean currents!

One has to rememember that all weather sailing is not considered as an ancient invention, that is it seems the eary sailors, at least those who sailed upon mostly inland waters like the Med. the Baltic, and the Black Sea etc., reportedly sailed when wind conditions were favorable. That is sea trade followed the cycle of the winds. At certain times of the year, winds are expected to follow a cyclic pattern, that is in some months the primary wind to be expected would be from the N.W to the S.E., and later in the year the primary winds would reverse, or nearly so. For an example early Portugese sailors, whould sail from the Red Sea area or East Africa to the East (India) when the prevaling winds allowed, and then have to wait in India until the winds were favorable to return, a voyage of many months.

Early sailing vessels have been described by some very smart men like Sir Isaac Newton, described them as "round" in shape. Whether this was a corrrect supposition is left to you, but it certainly would make sailing in a straight line very difficult without some type of keel!

Thus Thor H. figured that merely getting a sea worthy vessel into the conveyor belt called the current, would be a very easy way to travel from the N.W. coast of Africa into Mesoamerica. You might well know that his major theme supporting diffusionism was the apparent use of the African sweet potato in the Americas before the conquest.

And, it seems that Colombo did exactly the same, he relied upon the strong current to help carry his vessels from East to West, with a vessel that probably had very little ability to travel at any great angle into the wind (tacking)! It seems the further development of long and heavy keels, as well as sail design, led to the developement of ships which could sail at a good number of degrees into a wind!

Note these problems were not very great in the Med. area, since strong currents seem to not be either a problem or a help. And regular wind changes made it economical to sail only when the times were right. So, in the Med., as in the Baltic, and Black seas, etc., vessels equipped with oars were used to make all year voyages possible, but this meant sailing close to land in most instances since crews of rowers whould soon become exausted trying to row into a strong wind, and if in deep water no method of anchoring was possible, thus when faced with these problems they would head to the nearest sheltered land or harbor.

So, it was, it seems, a very easy accicental method of travel when one of more of the more ancient sailing vessels became trapped in the deep ocean West of Spain and N. Africa, with counter prevailing winds, to finally give up and travel with both the winds and the currents, or perhaps just to drift. Thus Thor H. suspected that any well constructed reed vessel or wooden log raft might well survive a cross Atlantic voyage, especially since the prevailing winds were to the S. West, in the lower attitudes, and from the Gulf of Mexico, there existed both prevailing currents (the Gulf Stream) and winds, to make a return voyage to N. Europe possible.

To make this post somewhat shorter, I will close by saying that it was only upon the development of sails, and sailing tactics, along with a well designed keel which made the most use of both hydrostatic pressure and wind pressure, that sailing became a venture availabe for most times of the year.

By the way, currents have been measured to travel about three to five miles per hour, thus using four as an average, a floating vessel in becalmed seas, would travel about 100 miles per day with no expenditure of effort, thus 1000 miles in ten days, and 2000 miles in 20 days, etc..

Thus Colombo's fleet needed but a little over 30 days to travel from the Canary islands to the Bahamas! But, do not be confused by straight line measurements, his course took him well S. of the Canaries on more of what is called a Great Circle route. So, without much help from the winds, his ship might well have traveled 2500 to 3000 miles with out much effort. The problems were, of course, fresh water, and foodstuffs.

I should also mention that "deep draft" vessels, could also be a problem in these inland seas, since harbors were sometimes very limited in depth, thus a shallow draft vessel could take advantage of more harbors, and not have to anchor off shore! In later times, large cargo vessels were anchored (in waters with enough depth) and their cargos were lightered into the port docks via smaller boats.

Dear moderator, perhaps the above post should also be posted on the newly created "diffusionism..." site? Ron

Edited by opuslola - 06-Oct-2009 at 08:10
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 08:27
Incidental and lucky travelers. I agree that technology barely facilitated travel.
But this is still Eurocentric. There were better vessels in China, Polynesia, Arabia and  types of kayaks (2 person baidarka could go thousand miles through Bering Sea storms). We talked in one of posts above about existence of better sailors than Europeans. One should not dismiss vessels with oars. Anchor may not be needed. A long rope with something large attached to it, thrown into water and suspended at some depth under vessel will prevent boat from drifting with the wind.
The problem I see is that there is one more factor that is needed to have sustained attempts at colonization. This is demographic pressure. This is why Greeks were spreading all over Mediterranean. The same for Polynesians (overpopulated islands). Vikings - their interest in colonization vanished as Europe was decimated by plague.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 10:56
What is Eurocentric, Sinocentric or Afrocentric is to think Indians couldn't develop theirs civilizations by their own.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2009 at 13:34

Regarding the photos of bearded Indians,

Though I am an isolationist, several of the photos shown may not be good examples of bearded indians.  All of those men are members of Eastern tribes. By the 1840-1850s, these tribes had varying degrees of intermarriage with either Caucasoids or Africans. The full beards shown may well be a result of these intermarriages. The full English names of the Chickasaw and Seneca men (Holmes Colbert and Ely Parker), may also indicate intermarriage.

The sketch of the 1700s Indian from Florida (prior to sustained contact) is a better example.  My own theory is that the Olmec carvings represent a ruling clan of indigenous Australoids that were later absobed by the far more numerous and far less bearded Asiatic Native Americans.

Edited by Cryptic - 06-Oct-2009 at 13:41
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 18:01
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

I have no problem with starting new thread, it is interesting topic. Sander - you are wrong about separating diffusion and diffusionism. Diffusionism is based on theory of diffusion and is not a different concept. It is often used interchangeably by Historians. I consider diffusionism as a body of work and contributions around theory of diffusion. Often -ism has a pejorative meaning as any theory may get twisted by its followers.
When I use word theory, this is in a context of Humanities and it does not have the same meaning as a scientific theory. 

C4E , instead of claiming  me wrong  here, such is better done in the other thread, otherwise we keep going on here.Big smile   
I m not wrong  in making distinctions.  Diffusionism is the complex of principles, laws , theories etc. around the  diffusion of culture traits,  as outlined  early/mid 1900s. Diffusionism can’t  be discussed without  “diffusion”  but  “  diffusion”  is very well discussed without Diffusionism.  The diffusion of the alphabet  is widely called a case of diffusion,  without bringing Diffusionism in the picture.  Anyway,  I ve created  the other thread for such debates, so  lets continue  there : 

Back to  the  beards. Pachacutec showed  some post Columbian Indians.  What he wanted to show with it is unclear.   None is evidence  of pre- Olmec beards.

Edited by Sander - 08-Oct-2009 at 00:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>