Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I wish .....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wish .....
    Posted: 14-Jul-2009 at 17:22
our mother had tuaght us Greek her native tongue-
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2009 at 01:48
Well my grand mother was also know Greek. She was from Crete. İ wish i had learn some, but i did'nt....
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2009 at 14:12
erkut

Was she Greek or Turkish? I know because of the exchange in the 1920's both Turks and Greeks were relocated. My Greek grandfather's family came from the Turkish part of Thrake and he could speak Turkish. I am fascinated with Turkish and I would love to learn it but I have no one in Arizona to talk with in Turkish. Spanish is probably a more practical language to learn here with the large Mexican population and being close to the Mexican border. I think Turkish is easier than Greek to learn. Do you think English is difficult to learn and why??
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2009 at 05:44
She was Cretean Muslim Greek. But at 1920's religion was more important than nationality.
English was easy to learn... 
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2009 at 10:44
Spanish is easy to learn but I think Turkish is easier but it is a handicap here with very few Turkish people in Arizona. When I flew to California from Tucson International Airport I parked my truck in a paid park place. The man who drive the shuttle bus to where I caught my plane was from Turkiye. I really enjoyed talking to him and as much as I do not like big cities I sort of miss Istanbul, especially the historic district. I wish someone would start of Turkish resturant in Tucson; we have tons of Mexican resturants which I also love. I will focus on Spanish since it is more useful here unless I ever go back to Turkiye.
Efendi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Efendi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2009 at 15:23

Hello Eaglecap,

I know Greek in a beginning level. Greek is very old language, It is highly ruled. But learning verbs sometime difficult.

Easier side of Greek are ruled language, pronounciated as it is writen. Turkish language is ruled and pronounciated as it is writen.

As to English, English include voices i was stranger with, q, w, th, x.  But the most notorious voice was th i hate it. ı hit my tongue many time when i was trying hard to pronounciate it.

Also English has far different gramatic structure than Turkish. It takes time to get used to.

Eaglecap,

Have we met before. you look rather similar to me.

Efendi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Efendi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2009 at 15:28

In the past if you are Christian you are Rum/Greek, if you are muslim you are Turk. It was the way how the nationality described.

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2009 at 04:13
Originally posted by Efendi

In the past if you are Christian you are Rum/Greek, if you are muslim you are Turk. It was the way how the nationality described.

Well...Bulgarians, Serbs, Albanians, Armenians, etc etc were christian orthodox too...they weren't Greeks....Wink...

Greeks made up the majority of the christian people of the byzantine empire that later conquered by Turks, and thats why under the Rum millet Ottoman authorities grouped all the orthodoxs...

In the same way we called almost all the westerners "Fraggoi"-Franks... since the byzantine times...because Franks were the main group that we had conflicts with.... that doesn't mean that Spanish, French, German, Italians etc all felt Franks...

It is true that during the Ottoman yoke anyone who converted to islam was viewed as "Turkos" and the verb that meant "islamize" was "tourkeuo"... in Peloponnesos the majority of the muslims were greek and albanian speakers, but they were the representatives of the ottoman authority... and justifiably they were viewed as Turks...

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Heliocles View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Heliocles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2010 at 06:02
Originally posted by eaglecap

erkut

Was she Greek or Turkish? I know because of the exchange in the 1920's both Turks and Greeks were relocated. My Greek grandfather's family came from the Turkish part of Thrake and he could speak Turkish. I am fascinated with Turkish and I would love to learn it but I have no one in Arizona to talk with in Turkish. Spanish is probably a more practical language to learn here with the large Mexican population and being close to the Mexican border. I think Turkish is easier than Greek to learn. Do you think English is difficult to learn and why??

My mother's family came from eastern Thrace too!  Tongue

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 13:46
Originally posted by Heliocles

Originally posted by eaglecap

erkut

My mother's family came from eastern Thrace too!  Tongue

I have family, on my Papoo's side, who live in Nea Orestiada by the Turkish border. My Yia Yia's side was is from Korinthos. but my Papoo was born in Constantinople/Istanbul. I did not realize that the name did not change to Istanbul till 1930, so when he was born (1895) it was still called Constantinople. Sorry, I took so long to reply and I hope I catch you again.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2010 at 20:00
To keep this site in its humerous side, I might just as well claim that it is alright with me that it is all "Greek" to me!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Rûm View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rûm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2011 at 10:21
hey all

I'm Pontic Greek from Turkey but my Greek isnt good
Vagos View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Vagos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2011 at 13:13
Hello to all :D  what's the point of the discusion ? .. Big smile   Γειά σας σε όλους ! Ποιο είναι το θέμα της συζήτησης ;

Χαιρετίσματα σε όλους τους  Έλληνες αλλά και σε αυτούς που δεν είναι  Έλληνες..

We 're all One ...
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2011 at 16:43
Originally posted by Vagos

Hello to all :D  what's the point of the discusion ? .. Big smile   Γειά σας σε όλους ! Ποιο είναι το θέμα της συζήτησης ; Χαιρετίσματα σε όλους τους  Έλληνες αλλά και σε αυτούς που δεν είναι  Έλληνες..We 're all One ...

Χαιρετίσματα από πίσω μεταφραστή Google από μισή Ελληνίδα
 Post Reply Post Reply