Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer generated reconstructions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer generated reconstructions
    Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 19:19

With the help of modern computer technique one can make nice reconstructions of ancient buildings, monuments, landscapes and even movements of peoples and armies. I wonder if someone have some good examples to show?

Here is for example the site "The Learning Sites" with pictures of among others Nubian Tempels at Gebel Barkal:

Gebel Barkal, Temple B300 (model by Learning Sites, Inc.)
   The Temple of Mut

Edited by Carcharodon - 15-Jun-2009 at 19:20
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2009 at 20:29
Here is a nice reconstruction of the ceremonial center in Tenochtitlan the capital of the Aztecs.

Tenochtitlan ceremonial center with, among other buildings, the impressive Templo Mayor.

Pic from:

Pkharmat View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pkharmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 02:37

3D reconstruction of random early medieval Vainakh Settlement. (to Vainakhs belong Chechens, Ingush, Bats and Kist people.) Vainakhs living in North and South Caucasus.

Edited by Pkharmat - 03-May-2010 at 02:46
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 10:40
In recent years archeologists and other researchers have come to realize that the Amazon in South America has not always been a scarcely populated wilderness. New findings have revealed that parts of it was the home of rather dense populations of Amerindian agriculturalists in precolumbian time. One of the areas where you find traces of urban or semiurban centers is the upper Xingu area in todays Brazil. Here is a reconstruction of a village or small town from the time before the Europeans arrived. This village was just one in a whole system of similar settlements in the area.

Kuhikugu town/village, Upper Xingu, Brazil

Edited by Carcharodon - 11-Oct-2010 at 10:42
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 11:10
A video reconstruction of the citadel of the city of Kavala (ancient Naples in Thrace,  medieval Hristopolis or Morunets.

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2011 at 13:58
Nice work. This kinda stuff is fascinating for me as I remain a basic computer guy. And would probably find i have the talent of a beetle for doing stuff like that.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2011 at 18:25
Yes, the imagination is a wonderful thing! It was from a morass of broken bricks that the city of Babylon was identified, and later the rebuilding of this imagination began.

Just wonderful! But, is any of it real, or is most of it, mere imagination?

Regards,

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 14:05
How exactly do they know if they have the architecture right, and also what kind of program do they use. It seems like their using a crappy block system instead of a full build system.

Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 16:07
Welcome back Hunter! I like your new screen name!

Regards,
Ron
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2011 at 12:50
Yeah, something happened to my old account so I made this new one.

Though I do kind of prefer my new name to the old one.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Van_Möck View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Van_Möck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2011 at 06:03
Over the last time I have tried to reconstruct some early medievel cities myself for a computer game. Its nothing professional or anything, but I think using some programs I could get results similar to what is shown in some of these posts.
If some of you are interested in trying to get a grip of working on 3d projections you could try a program called google sketchup. There is a free version which is quite easy to use and would allow all the more basic constructions.

What opuslola wrote about the imagination is actually true. I noticed myself that in many cases there are just no sources on the buildings. This is especially difficult with wooden buildings if there are only few leftovers. So in many cases it is necessary to.... take inspiration from similar better researched sites of the same culture and period or just scamp around a lot Embarrassed

It could be compared to the face-reconstructions they create for crime investigations, you never know exactly what it looked like and have to try to get it into the right shape by studying your sources and making up what is necessary.
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2011 at 14:28
Often do not have full information about the objects. Reconstruction and prepare for a Roman tower. There are basics, but not how he looked up. So I prepared a few versions.

And so it seems anyway today.

The tower is near Burgas in Bulgaria. Town name derives from this Roman burg.
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 14:53
Documentary on ancient Roman tower near Burgas, Bulgaria.
The tower was built in the second century in the reign of Emperor Antoninus Pius for the Protection of the Roman colony Deultum.
Language - Bulgarian.

PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 10:21
Great thread folks. Keep em coming.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 18:42
Keep what coming? Play toy figures?

Reality seems to have become forgotten.

Regards,
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 15:35
Reconstruction of the old Bulgarian capital Veliko Tarnovo.
Star
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 15:37
Reconstruction of the old Bulgarian capital Veliko Tarnovo.

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 02:38
Seuthopolis,  capital of the Thracian Odrysian Kingdom, founded by the Thracian king Seuthes III, in 325-315 BC   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seuthopolis :
Seuthopolis

sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2011 at 14:06
Castle "Gunpowder-hane" in Varna, Bulgaria. The castle was destroyed in 1908.

Seuthopolis is currently at the bottom of the lake. This is a project for future exposure.
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 12:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>