Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am coming out of the closet finally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am coming out of the closet finally
    Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 22:23

shhhh! keep it quiet!

I love bird watching!!!

My new home in southern Arizona is great for that and I have never seen so many varieties of song birds and their colors are incredible. I do not have to go to the mountains but just sit in my front yard and watch them and every morning they sing to me with incredible variation and tunes. Some have funny names but I love watching them.
I was told we’re on the migration path for many birds.

Anyone else who like to come out of the closet- do you like bird watching???
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 22:50
I'm glad you've finally come out of the closet Eaglecap. Doesn't help anyone when you keep these things inside Wink
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 23:49
Although I am shocked by You being ...  but I admire your courage!
Anfører
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 23:56
Originally posted by Suren

Although I am shocked by You being ...  but I admire your courage!

ya'll make me laugh but no comments about bird watching!! Are there any other fans????

Although, I still love only women and will not change there, just to make that one clear-

We have turkey vultures which are neat to watch but also variety of hawks and golden eagles but I have not see the latter.

I remember learning about the Rufus sided towhee in biology - a very pretty bird (red sided towhee) I don't know why they can't just say red instead of rufus.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:03
Here on the west coast of Sweden we have many birds. Recently a couple of Eurasian Eagle Owls (Bubo bubo) moved into a sports Arena in the middle of the city of Gothenburg. That attracted a lot of birdlovers:

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:05
And yes, it is really fun and interesting to watch birds.

Edited by Carcharodon - 09-Jun-2009 at 00:06
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:11
Originally posted by Carcharodon

Here on the west coast of Sweden we have many birds. Recently a couple of Eurasian Eagle Owls (Bubo bubo) moved into a sports Arena in the middle of the city of Gothenburg. That attracted a lot of birdlovers:

that is one neat looking owl. We have a lot of owls here. When I lived on the east side of Washington State, in Spokane, I had seen bald eagles by the little Spokane River. What a majestic sight!!! I would love to go to Alaska to see the large numbers of bald eagles there.
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:33
It sounds nice with the bald eagles. Here in Sweden we have two indigenous kinds of eaagles the golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) and the sea eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla). The latter one is closely related to the bald headed eagle. It is our largest bird of prey. But the golden eagle is considered more ferocious.

Talking about owl, we have thirteen species here in Sweden, the European eagle owl is largest and the Eurasian pygmy owl (Glaucidium passerinum) is the smallest. I have seen some of our species of owl and heard some more. It´s really fascinating to hear their hooting and other sounds in the night.

Young Eurasian pygmy owls

Edited by Carcharodon - 09-Jun-2009 at 00:35
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:57
Originally posted by Carcharodon

It sounds nice with the bald eagles. Here in Sweden we have two indigenous kinds of eaagles the golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) and the sea eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla). The latter one is closely related to the bald headed eagle. It is our largest bird of prey. But the golden eagle is considered more ferocious.

Talking about owl, we have thirteen species here in Sweden, the European eagle owl is largest and the Eurasian pygmy owl (Glaucidium passerinum) is the smallest. I have seen some of our species of owl and heard some more. It´s really fascinating to hear their hooting and other sounds in the night.

Young Eurasian pygmy owls

wow they look really intereting. I do not know how many species are in the desert southwest but you have a lot. I have been to Europe six times but never to Sweden. The first owl you posted looks like one of our great horn owls. Do you have barn owls? How about eagles in Sweden? We have golden and bald eagles but I am not sure if we have the latter down here since I recently relocated from our Pacific Northwest.
great horn owl

Francesca... flickr.com
spotted owls

dpalmer_md flickr.com

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 01:28
Here in Sweden we have two kind of eagles the golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) and the sea eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla). The latter one is closely related to the bald headed eagle. It is our largest bird of prey. But the golden eagle is considered more ferocious.

Barn owls (Tyto alba) we have in the most southern part of Sweden, the province of Scania.

Your great horn owl (Bubo virginianus) is a very close relative to our European eagle owl. 

Those spotted owls really looks nice. Here in Sweden we have the tawny owl (Strix aluco) who belong to the same genus as the spotted owl.

What´s the red birds name in your post? It´s really beautiful.

Tawny owl

Edited by Carcharodon - 09-Jun-2009 at 01:41
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 01:36
By the way here is Swedens national bird, the common blackbird (Turdus merula), it really sings beautiful:

The common blackbird (Turdus merula)

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 10:32
This is a bird not many of you will be familiar with:

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 11:03
Where did you manage to get a photograph of one of 'those' Parnell?!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 11:22
Meet Pontus.

Arg, picture won't show.
edit: now I now why. The censor filter actually destroys the adress.  Ermm Maybe it's time to remove "sl*g" from the filter? I would never have known that that was a bad word if the filter hadn't stepped...

edit2: found another picture.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 09-Jun-2009 at 11:32
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 11:50
Is that a camera trick of some sort, or simply a photoshopping job?
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 14:36
Originally posted by Knights

Where did you manage to get a photograph of one of 'those' Parnell?!

Flying disease monkeys are quite difficult to get a hold of, you know LOL
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 15:08
Very difficult; let alone getting a hold of them in large groups!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 16:16
Cool, Eaglecap, ever since I was 11, I also have enjoyed birdwatching. One time I saw a grackle and a crow fighting a turf war. Another time, I saw a blue jay completely being a jerk to some other birds.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 21:40
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Cool, Eaglecap, ever since I was 11, I also have enjoyed birdwatching. One time I saw a grackle and a crow fighting a turf war. Another time, I saw a blue jay completely being a jerk to some other birds.

I think we have grackles. They are large birds but not as big as a crow but with a yellow beak and they make funny noises.

The crows in Istanbul looked like our crows but most of their bodies are gray with black wings.

We have numerous species of black birds but recently I saw a flock of them eating something by the dairy cows down the road. They had black bodies but a bright yellow head and looked very strange.

The red bird in the picture above is a- Vibrant Arizona Cardinal

This is a cool pic of an owl taken in Arizona but it does not say what species of owl.

gbrummett flickr.com

Arizona Barn owl

lindaestel flickr.com
I could not get a pic but road runners are a common sight in the Arizona desert along with Turkey vultures.
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 22:21
Eaglecap, the red bird (with a black face) in your post that Carcharodon inquired about is actually a male Northern Cardinal (cardinalis cardinalis), found not only in Arizona but throughout eastern North America. Formerly it was more common in the southern part of North America, when I was growing up in the 1950's and 1960's, we rarely ever saw it in New England. It's now become a little more common up here, though, due to people putting out bird-feeders in the winter. ( I don't think it migrates, and it needs to have a supply of seeds to eat in the winter when the ground is covered with snow.) The male is bright red with a jet-black face. The female is more of a rufous (brownish  red) color and her face is more of a duller black. They're nice birds to have around.
Windemere
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>