Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Affinity between ancient Iranic peoples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affinity between ancient Iranic peoples
    Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 20:26
I don't know what you mean, "Kaiser" seems to be a loanword from Latin (Caesar), of course the Middle Persian word is the same as the German word, I think Persians were the first nation who called all Roman emperors "Kaiser".
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2009 at 12:01
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

however it is very hard to believe that the desert region of Sistan could be woodland, as described in Shahnameh, so we have to say the origin of these stories was from another land.

It all depends how far back in time these stories go. There was heavy rainfall in Egypt in 4th -3rd millennium.
There is a theory about rain erosion of Sphinx and debate over date it was build. This means that climate few thousand years ago, in that region, was probably different that it is now. Of course a different climate in Egypt does not mean region you mention had a different one too. 
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2009 at 12:15
You are right, the climate could be different in very ancient times but the south of Iran could be near the north pole, as we read in Shahnameh!!

Rostam and Daeva (Demon)

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 12-Jul-2009 at 12:19
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2009 at 13:03
You got a point.
Another thought I have is how far back oral tradition can go. We know many accounts of floods of catastrophic proportions. Now we know that in the Black Sea region that happened about 7,000 years ago. Maybe oral accounts of events can travel through more millennia than we think.
Maybe these stories have origin in the Ice Age. Of course this is just a speculation and guys making up these stories, while smoking some powerful stuff, maybe another one.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2009 at 07:05
Originally posted by calvo

rather than discussing the similarities between German and Iranian, let's keep to the subject on the affinities between different Iranian groups.

One thing that has been fairly well documented for almost all of the groups is their affection for horses.

We see this phrase repeated a few times on the inscriptions in Persepolis

"thâtiy Dârayavaush xshâyathiya iyam dahyâush Pârsa tyâm manâ Auramazdâ frâbara hyâ naibâ uvaspâ umartiyâ" which translates into "King Darius says 'This great country Parsa which Ahuramazda bestowed upon me, possessed of good horses, possessed of good men...'"

And it's also see on a few other places, where it is attributed to older kings (though it is unclear if they were responsible for it themselves).  The following is from a gold tablet found in Hamedan (although it is suspected to be a "forgery").

"thâtiy Ariyâramna xshâyathiya iyam dahyâushi Pârsâ tya adam dârayâ miy hya uvaspâ umartiyâ manâ baga vazraka Auramazdâ frâbara vashnâ Auramazdâha adam xshâyathiya iyam dahyâush amiy" translating into "King Ariaramnes says 'This country Persia which I hold, which is possessed of good horses, of good men, the Great God Ahuramazda bestowed it upon me. By the favor of Ahuramazda I am king in this country.' "

Horses are also featured fairly prominently in scythian art and coins. Sarmatians, Cimmerians and Parthians are all documented to have been equestrian societies (especially in their style of warfare.)
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2009 at 07:38
The affinity to horses is common to all steppe cultures and in itself may not indicate close relationship among them. i think only linguistics can determine how close or distant different tribes are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12