Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mayan History Book Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlexInBoston View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlexInBoston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayan History Book Recommendations?
    Posted: 05-Jun-2009 at 16:33
Hey all, apologies if this has been asked before; I didn't see it on a search.

I'm looking for an introduction to Mayan history.  So far it looks like I have three finalists:

- A Forest Of Kings by Freidel and Schele, widely loved but published in '92, which could make some of it out-of-date;

- The Ancient Maya: New Perspectives by McKillop, which looks like it could be a bit dry, and whose in-text citations seem distracting;

- Ancient Maya: The Rise and Fall of a Rainforest Civilization by Demarest, which looks like it could also be dry.

(It's not like I'm intolerant to the more scholarly books, but hey, exciting is good too.  I loved the hell out of Kim MacQuarrie's "Last Days of the Incas," if that helps put my taste in perspective.)

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Alex
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2009 at 22:21
Some years old now but maybe this one:

-Daily Life in Maya Civilization, Robert J. Sharer (1996). 

More Maya books by Robert J. Sharer:

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AlexInBoston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 19:35
I had the brainstorm of looking in the "Further Reading" area for the Mayan chapter of Jared Diamond's "Collapse."  (Apropos, since everyone's debating Diamond right now anyway...)  He recommended Michael Coe's "The Maya," so I went with that.  I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 20:20
If I am not wrong, Coe is a very famous Mayan archeologist.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AlexInBoston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 15:52
Pinguin - yeah, he's considered one of the foremost.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2009 at 06:00

Edited by Gargoyle - 21-Jul-2009 at 11:19
 Post Reply Post Reply