Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies about Native Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies about Native Americans
    Posted: 27-Oct-2009 at 09:27
Red, wasn't that a Smothers Brothers song? If not, they had one pretty close to it.

Tommy, the people call themselves "Lakota". The Dakotas (North and South) is where many live. As for stealing horses, It was viewed it as a legitimate act of war. War for many North American tribes was the 'great sport'. Raids were carried out to take slaves, women, and horses. The only way a man could earn the livelihood to purchase a bride was to prove himself on raids and other forms of warfare. You might benefit from Pekka Hamalainen's "The Comanche Empire" published by Yale University Press.   

Edited by lirelou - 27-Oct-2009 at 09:35
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2009 at 12:17
Red, wasn't that a Smothers Brothers song? If not, they had one pretty close to it.

Chad Mitchell Trio, ca. 1963-64. With an unnamed 4th person, John Denver.  I don't recall the Smothers doing any thing like it, although they seemed to hit just about everything else
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2009 at 18:27
WE have it seems about run out of pertinent things to say concerning the origin of this series of posts! But, that cannot diminish my posts that supported an entire series of movies which did not diminish the role of the American Indian, but were made to elevate them to a higher plane of existance!

Of course, both sides were wrong!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2009 at 20:09
Early in this thread, the originator was challenged to come up with specific examples of such movies. Needless to say, no really concrete examples were offered. Mel Gibson took some hits for Apocalypto, but even that can be historically defended. It boiled down to a sophomoric exercise in splitting the hairs of misconceptions. Any less than a "noble savage" who was ecologically sound and mysteriously in tune with the spiritual winds of the universe was apparently unwelcome.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2009 at 20:29
Originally posted by lirelou

Early in this thread, the originator was challenged to come up with specific examples of such movies. Needless to say, no really concrete examples were offered. Mel Gibson took some hits for Apocalypto, but even that can be historically defended. It boiled down to a sophomoric exercise in splitting the hairs of misconceptions. Any less than a "noble savage" who was ecologically sound and mysteriously in tune with the spiritual winds of the universe was apparently unwelcome.

And, as a viewer of literally hundreds of movies concerning "Native Americans" since the 1930's, (and considering I am age 63) I can state, with the utmost belief that for the most part (being oblivious to a number of grade b or c movies that I missed) made the Native American into something resembling a "hero!", VS the "Evil White Man!"

If you think you know your movies,then let me know just what movies you use as examples?
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2009 at 07:22
I am not quite sure why you are trying to take issue with me. You are not the originator of this thread. Perhaps you need to re-read my post a few more times? LOL
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2009 at 15:00
I am sorry, but I was not speaking against you! I was, in maybe a weird way, agreeing with you!

Maybe I need to be more specific when I respond?
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2010 at 10:13

Well many films with John Wayne is rather prejudiced and show Native Americans as not so much more than savages. Especially I remember a scene in one of them when John (or some other white American), when confronted with some white children that had lived with the Comanches for a while, exclaimed that they could not speak anymore, they could just grunch in Comanche. If that is not prejudice then one can wonder what is.

Edited by Carcharodon - 03-Jul-2010 at 10:18
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2010 at 10:48
Carch, the movie is called 'The Searchers', and you obviously missed the point of the movie, where a man's prejudice and hatred end up making him no better than his enemies. How about John Wayne in 'Stagecoach', or 'Hondo'? How are the Indians portrayed in those movies?

ps, the Comanches actually were a pretty savage bunch, though the mother of Quanah Parker came to view them differently.
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 05:27

Carch, the movie is called 'The Searchers', and you obviously missed the point of the movie, where a man's prejudice and hatred end up making him no better than his enemies. How about John Wayne in 'Stagecoach', or 'Hondo'? How are the Indians portrayed in those movies?

Still these kind of movies end up in the ordinary shoot em up with the Native Americans at the receiving end. And the portraits of the Amerindians is stereotypical  and shallow.

ps, the Comanches actually were a pretty savage bunch, though the mother of Quanah Parker came to view them differently.

Well they did not do anything that the whites did not do. Cynthia Ann Parker was for example saved by her light hair, otherwhise the whites would have blown her head off as they mostly did with Amerindian women and children. 
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2010 at 21:21
Well, Carch, the Comanche certainly didn't do anything that yojur Viking ancestors didn't do, and for pretty much the same reasons. Because they could. We went through all thar stereotype rubbish before. The only thing you proved was that your knowledge of movies was locked in stereotypes. (As if 'Dances with Wolves' wasn't itselfr a stereotype, albeit a more politically correct one.)
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 10:57
Noone says that the Comanches were totally peaceful, but as with many Amerindian peoples the pressure from the Euro Americans increased the level of violence in their lives.

As for movies I can only judge those movies I have seen, and even if I live in Sweden I have seen rather many since western movies and TV series have been very popular here and have been shown on TV in rather great quantities. And most of those from the thirties, fourties, fifties and also sixties that includes Amerindians I have seen are rather biased against the Amerindians. From around 1970 and forwards this changes.

But still today many films are rather stereotyped, in one or another direction.

Edited by Carcharodon - 11-Oct-2010 at 11:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567