Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can Monarchy Survive in Brunei Forever?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Monarchy Survive in Brunei Forever?
    Posted: 13-May-2009 at 09:21
Brunei Darussalam is the only country in S.E Asia which is practicing absolute monarchy. In add, it is known to have the longest surviving sultanate in this region. Will this system continue forever?
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 09:58
First Nothing lasts for ever

Second it will last as long as it is viable and people are happy with it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 10:19
Originally posted by Peteratwar

First Nothing lasts for ever

Second it will last as long as it is viable and people are happy with it.

I wonder how people can stand absolute monarchy concept. No right to choose. No freedom in speaking one's mind. How Brunei does that? Other than tax exception.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 10:33

'No rights' and 'No freedom' are not automatic with an absolute monarchy. It all depends how it operates. Wiser rulers know well that it is better to let people speak their mind rather than keep silent.

What exactly do you mean by no choice. Are you speaking in pure governmental terms ?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 10:38
No choice.. as it means.. well like in my country, we do have Sultanate system which is absolutely different from Brunei's. Malaysians have right to choose whom to be the country's leader in every four years through general election. 
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 11:30
OK, so you are talking purely in Government terms. Well fair enough, we go back to the original premise that if people are happy with the system it will continue. If the system becomes oppressive then problems will arise and sooner or later it will fail.

The philosophical debate on types of government has gone on for centuries!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 11:55
Despite of the government terms which u had mentioned.. I did question on how Brunei's Monarchy manages to ensure the system long last which really make me curious. I did not say it should be ended. That is an interesting topic to be discussed. In addition, there's no harm to debate on something which can lead to something good.. people don't agree all the time.. isn't it?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 12:11

I agree people don't agree all the time and that debate and consensus in reaching a way forward is possibly the best way. I say possibly because compromise can sometimes leave you with the worst of both worlds in which case should someone then take charge and force through more optimal changes ?

here we go into philosophy!!!!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 12:30
Peter...

I rather let my topic remain in its scope. If you don't mind.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 14:11
Agreed, one thing about these threads you can end up going in many different directions from the first!

Being an absolute monarch and trying to ensure yopur dynasty continues especially in this age, requires great skill. You have to balance people's aspirations and take into account that people as a whole are pretty lazy about governments. As long as the form of government they have is not too oppressive and lets them have a great degree of personal freedom then unless the individual has pressing political ideas of their own, the status quo will remain. You also need a good publicist!!

Edited by Peteratwar - 13-May-2009 at 14:12
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 14:43
In what I do believe, as Malays are always having high respect on their ruler which is Sultan, this manage to remain popularity of monarchy concept among people in Brunei as it was populated almost 100% by Malay ethnicity.. Furthermore.. the size of the country is small so it can cause the successful of monarchy system due to number of population of the public. It will be complicated to have larger population with different cultures and races.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 15:57
Indeed, where the ruler has the personality to command high respect things usually work well. However I agree the influx of people and other cultures can be bothersome especially if they are disrespectful of other cultures
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2009 at 16:42
Nonetheless, there was an attempt to substitute the Brunei's absolute monarchy system. For an example:
Brunei Revolt - 1962, a rebellious campaign by Yassin Affandi towards Brunei. It was due to Brunei reluctance  to join the Federation of Malaysia.
I wonder what will happen when Brunei can't produce oil anymore in future... Another revolt?

Edited by cahaya - 14-May-2009 at 16:45
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2009 at 10:58
The oil won't last forever. If the Sultans are able to maintain or improve current standard of living and stability, then the Monarchy will probably survive.
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2009 at 07:04

Despite of well manage government and good leadership skill which is shown by the Sultan, some wild gossip and scandal won't help in maintaining popularity of the royal family among the public.

Refer to this last year article:-

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/06/11/Brunei-prince-could-be-British-jailbird/UPI-29671213212593/

But i bet most of the spoil rich princes and princesses all around the globe do involve in scandals.. Tongue

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2009 at 10:32
Yes they do that. However I hope the Sultan has got a good press secretary/spin doctor!!
 Post Reply Post Reply