Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOxford Dictionaries?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oxford Dictionaries?
    Posted: 10-May-2009 at 16:09
How are the Oxford Dictionaries on subjects like history, politics, sociology, philosophy, psychology, the classics and the like?

I'm just curious as I'm considering buying a a couple?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2009 at 16:12
Oxford editions, from my experience are nearly always the best value. They aren't overly expensive, are easy to get a hold of, and will give you a very good base of knowledge on the chosen subject. Where I get most use from Oxford editions, is the Oxford World Classics series, where they give you the text, a solid introduction, appendices, and an exploration of the themes, all for less then Puffin give you the text on low grade paper. So I recommend, assuredly.

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2009 at 16:21
Originally posted by Dolphin

Oxford editions, from my experience are nearly always the best value. They aren't overly expensive, are easy to get a hold of, and will give you a very good base of knowledge on the chosen subject. Where I get most use from Oxford editions, is the Oxford World Classics series, where they give you the text, a solid introduction, appendices, and an exploration of the themes, all for less then Puffin give you the text on low grade paper. So I recommend, assuredly.

That sounds pretty good then overall from what you are telling me,

Maybe I'll get them then?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2009 at 20:20
Yep, for what you're paying, they are easily the best imo.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 02:53
I have the Oxford Liddell and Scott Greek Lexicon middle and "Great Scott" editions.  It is the primary dictionary for ancient Greek.  Some of the pages are difficult to read because it is a reprint.  Other than that it is excellent.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 15:03
The Oxford history one is all online. Its a great introduction to most historical figures in British and Irish history, kinda like a modern version of 'who's who' of dead people.
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2015 at 21:15
The grammar section of the Oxford dictionary is excellent. There are details about prepositions, nouns, verbs, adjectives, and other parts of speech.
kate_grey View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2016 at 08:53
Originally posted by Dolphin

I totally agree with you! When I have a word that i don`t know, I look at oxford dictionary. I like the freedictionaty, as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply