Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

London wants to host American Superbowl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London wants to host American Superbowl
    Posted: 05-May-2009 at 07:05
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/may/03/super-bowl-wembley-stadium-nfl

This is in spirit of another thread topic about "Europeans hating American football", but not really in the same vein. Anyways, i am shocked and nearly speechless... they have got to be joking? I'm mean, WTH....?

A preseason scrimmage game is one thing, BUT... The Superbowl itself! Is there really that much interest for the game in London? Confused
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 10:32
Ugh, it makes me sick to the stomach. British society (And Irish) has become so Americanised in the last ten years that its getting more and more difficult to distinguish the cultures. This is simply a personification of that!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 01:35
Well the people who run grid iron have  been banging their heads for years trying and failing to market the game internationally. They lag way behind baseball and basketball at getting international interest.

On the other hand the Football Association who own wembly stadium want to make money. They hire the venue out to the Rugby League, to rock bands, comedians and if they can get another event on the calender they'll be really happy. The Football association also sell the Premiership worldwide in way US grid iron could dream of, so it may look an attractive offer to them.

As for Londoners, the football world cup was in the US once, americans went to the games, enjoyed the event as a novelty and then forgot about it. In a city with hundreds of sporting events thousands of gigs each week, Londoners like a novelty, but they're very fickle and the superbowl will be forgotten about the 2 days later.

Edited by Paul - 06-May-2009 at 01:40
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 14:09
Hope it does not happen. For once, I would like a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh, or some other American city. I would not mind the NFL opener, but once other countries start having football teams, then we can talk about them having the Super Bowl there.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 14:50

So, finally, by bringing American football to Britain, the British are recognizing they are a cultural colony of the United States.... Bringing that American game to the land of Soccer can only be seen as sacrilegious by soccer fans worldwide. Even more, knowing as much Americans hate soccer!!!Angry

What will happen then to all the world that looks for Britain as the birthplace of Soccer?

Edited by pinguin - 31-May-2009 at 14:50
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 17:03
Little does pinguin know of our American conspiracy to colonize the Europeans as they did to use centuries ago. . First football, next baseball, then complete colonization.Big smile

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 18:15
Of course I suspect the colonization is going on.
I wonder when Britain with apply to become a curious ethnic state of the Union... Wink
By the way, Canada is been for a looong time in the list to become an American state... but no American listen LOL
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 23:31
Originally posted by pinguin

So, finally, by bringing American football to Britain, the British are recognizing they are a cultural colony of the United States.... 

That's kind of funny, seeing that both seem too share both their cultures quite willingly with one another. I don't think i can count how many American shows have been primarily inspired by plenty of British prototypes and vice versa...

Bringing that American game to the land of Soccer can only be seen as sacrilegious by soccer fans worldwide. Even more, knowing as much Americans hate soccer!!!Angry

I haven't quite figured that one out. But, i do not suspect that Americans hate it as what you believe? I suspect that it just lacks that little something to get Americans excited enough to come too soccer events in droves? I believe we recently tried too rectify that and failed most miserably, with the most recently fled British soccer star Mr. Beckham back to a European team! Or something like that?

What will happen then to all the world that looks for Britain as the birthplace of Soccer?

Nothing will happen. In fact, i suspect the world might finally start noticing the many similarities and differences between British Rugby and American style football?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2009 at 17:15
if that means i don't have to stay up all night to watch it i'm all for it. it would be early morning for Americans though.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2009 at 20:16
and the Stanley Cup finals will be hosted in Dubai (UAE) in 2012 ?!

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2009 at 21:37
so sad but too bad Britian - no way in hades!!! or what is that other hot spot?? This is an American icon so back off England!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2009 at 23:00
Originally posted by Panther

This is in spirit of another thread topic about "Europeans hating American football"

We do..........

Originally posted by Panther

but not really in the same vein. Anyways, i am shocked and nearly speechless... they have got to be joking? I'm mean, WTH....?

Reducing it to the most basic - they want money. Money and only money - they don't care about your perverted American "Football" - they care about money.
For money you did what guns could not do.........
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2010 at 15:02
As soon as England stops importing coal and fish, I would be against them hosting the Super Bowl!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
kingbran View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kingbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 01:01
Well, I think it will be a long way until London will host the Super Bowl, I think the US won't give this top event away so easily. The US football history was influenced by Britain, especially in the early years but in the last two centuries it seems like that culture in Britain has been more influenced by the US than vice versa, this is a kind of re-colonization. But it seems like that football has become more popular in Britain in recent years, it's a topic in the sports world now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply