Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle Tactics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle Tactics
    Posted: 04-May-2009 at 05:19
I've been reading a book called Executive orders (Tom Clancey), pretty good book but anyways in one chapter, the book briefly talks about battle tactics like American and Russian tactics. It sparked my curiosity as I don't really know much about tactics of all the countries of the world (Russia, China, U.S.A). Can anyone describe the tactics used by certain countries (in modern terms) like how do they use tanks, infantry, and or aircraft in battle?

For example when the Germans invaded Poland, they used combined arms warfare in tandem with direct air-support with the Luftwaffe to create a speedy offensive that would be called Blitzkrieg.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 17:51
combined arms IS tanks + air support.
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 21:13
All those things differ from general to general.

But it seems to me more and more that infantry are becoming useless.

Being replaced by high tech planes that can take out hundreds of thousands of soldiers in one go.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 18:04
Originally posted by p,c,ma

But it seems to me more and more that infantry are becoming useless.

Being replaced by high tech planes that can take out hundreds of thousands of soldiers in one go.
It depends entirely on the war.  Infantry is not being replaced in Iraq or Afghanistan.  Hi tech planes can only win wars by themselves when the enemy is poorly trained, poorly motivated and out classed in technology (Gulf War I).

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 20:25
I would give Cryptic an "A-OK" with the above response, if indeed there was really any relationship between the (almost) progressive state of Iraq, and the almost "Iron Age" realm of Afghanistan!

To me, at least, the situation is most different, as well as more troublesome!

We will see just what the current Obama administration will do within the next two years or so?

Edited by opuslola - 30-Nov-2010 at 20:30
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
p,c,ma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote p,c,ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 17:55
Yes, but what are the odds that we are going to keep fighting weak opponents.

Inevitably we will fight a real opponent.

That is when the skill of pilots and superior technology of this nation will be tested.

As to what Cryptic said, i did not mean that we would no longer use infantry. I am merely stating that the will no longer be effective in open field battles.
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 14:20
I want my stars back.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
 Post Reply Post Reply