Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE online project : Byzantine translations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE online project : Byzantine translations
    Posted: 07-May-2009 at 13:00
I saw it. The information about it is correct and more extended.
As for the names yes they are Latin. I just wrote them in latin directly from their Greek form.

Btw, I was unable to read clearly Item 3, but i have now found it elsewhere and will translate it soon.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 13:09
Here is item 3: http://epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/oi?ikey=247983&bookid=490&region=8&subregion=29

Item 1 seems to be a Venetian inscription from late 17th century. I will try a translation next week.
Nickmard View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Nickmard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 14:00
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Here is item 3: http://epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/oi?ikey=247983&bookid=490&region=8&subregion=29

Item 1 seems to be a Venetian inscription from late 17th century. I will try a translation next week.

This is very interesting Chilbudios because I found out after that the 7 Towers Fortress was made around the Golden Gate after Constantinople had fallen to the Turks. I wonder what the Venetians were doing there in the 17th century?, did they have good relations with the Ottomans?
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 16:34
Originally posted by Nickmard

I wonder what the Venetians were doing there in the 17th century?, did they have good relations with the Ottomans?

Greece proper was either under Ottoman or Venetian rule. In other words you could say they were neighbours of somekind.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Nickmard View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Nickmard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 16:39
But what I wanted to know was, what were the Venetians doing making Inscriptions in Ottoman millitary bases in 17th Century Istanbul (constantinople).
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 14:31
That Venetian inscription was probably carved by prisoners (in the 4th row I've read CAPTVS). The years I could read on it are 1690 and 1697 which would mean the middle of a Venetian-Ottoman war in Aegean, the so-called "Morean war". I'm still working on the reading.

Item 4 is bilingual in Latin and Greek. The Latin part is relatively easy to read:

THEODOSII IVSSIS GEMINO NEC MENSE PERACTO
CONSTANTINVS OVANS HAEC MOENIA FIRMA LOCAVIT
TAM CITO TAM STABILEM PALLAS VIX CONDERET ARCEM

which in a rough translation says

By Theodosius' orders, Constantine triumphantly placed these strong city walls, which were completed in less than two months. Pallas could have barely built a fortress so fast and so firm.

The Greek part I find harder to read. However to me it seems it starts with + ΗΜΑΣΙΝ ΕΞΗΚΟΝΤΑ , so I guess it says almost the same thing as the Latin part (2 months are 60 days!)
Nickmard View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Nickmard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 14:53
Good work Chilbudios

It seems your translation fits well with the Historical texts. This section of the walls was destroyed during an earthquake in 447 and Theodosius had a prefect called Constantine rebuild it.

Also what you said about the Yedikule Fortress (7 towers) fits too! It was used as a Jail during this period. Whats interesting is that I found a Byzantine marble eagle bust on a large brick inside the tower (must have been taken from somewhere else).

Well done mate!, more to come soon...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 14:57
Meanwhile I traced Item 4 based on my reading. Even though I am not able to follow it on stone as suggested, probably this reading is reliable enough:

Nickmard View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Nickmard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 15:04
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Meanwhile I traced Item 4 based on my reading. Even though I am not able to follow it on stone as suggested, probably this reading is reliable enough:

Great!, what is this site and how do you relate it to actual physical locations?

EDIT : Dont worry, got it. Brilliant site!

Edited by Nickmard - 11-May-2009 at 15:16
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 17:40
Here's the Venetian inscription in my reading so far. Perhaps you can improve it:

STEPHANVS ALBERTI M[-]IO[-]S
IN TRIREMI PETRI ANTO(NII) BEMBO(NIS) [-]V[-]
NAT AC NOBILIS VENETI NAVALI
PVGNA SVBMERSA CAPTVSQVE CVM
SVO NOBILI FRANC(...) VENIER(...) FV[IT]
AN(O) 1697 DIE 6 JVLVA[-]?
JVLIVS ANDREA RASINA C[API]
TANEVS IN CAMPO CORINTHV[-]
ANO 1690 DIE 20 SEP [-]
PACIS 1690 D(IE) [-]T[-]

Stefano Alberti [...]-ed with the noble Venetians on the ship of Pietro Antonio Bembo which was sunk in a naval battle and he was captured together with his noble Franc(esc)o Venier(?) 6 July? 1697

Giulio Andrea Rasina, captain on the Corinthian(?) battlefield [...] 20 September 1690 [...] of the peace [...] October(?) 1690
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2010 at 07:28
It seems that items 3 and 4 must have been salvaged from Ephesus? Please consider this site:

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/elisabeth.trinkl/forum/forum1297/05wass.htm
"Although it had been known that four aqueducts supplied water to Ephesus, the intra-city distribution system and drainage network of this water - the subject of the present investigation - is presently imperfectly known. Three sets of urban reservoirs and fountains houses have been identified in the 1997 field work, as well as numerous segmented ceramic pipelines and large open channels. We have tracked the networks of piping, and located them and the reservoirs on a topographical map of the city. Particularly, we have studied an elaborate hydraulic junction consisting of a 2-4th century CE fountain house (the water tower), with its related piping, adjacent to the upper agora. A highly efficient system is evident: Water pressure to individual water lines appears to be adjustable by varying the hydraulic head in (4) feed pools supplied from a common upper reservoir. Pipe networks appear to spread out from this fountain house, supplying water at different flow rates to baths, fountains, and residences according to the requirements of each. Individual water lines were designed to match water requirements of major structures en route, with residual supplies to second-level users at the terminus of each line."

The major problem with this identification could be the names of the rivers and streams mentioned in the inscription since they seem to have more likely have been the sources of water for another city! Or maybe the use of the word "Ephesus" indicated the region?

Concerning item 4, Constantine mentioned may likely the same as the one who is given credit for building or rebuilding at Ephesus!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 03-Mar-2010 at 07:29
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12