Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do Latin Americans look

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do Latin Americans look
    Posted: 01-May-2009 at 13:30
I opened this thread to discuss seriously if the people shown on Latin American and Hispanic networks TV and movies look or not like average Latin Americans.

I will start with CNN in Spanish and some pictures of theirs respective countries:

Gabriela Frias, Mexico

Mexicans:

Claudia Palacios, Colombian:

Colombians:

Ismael Cala, Cuban
Cubans:

Carolina Escobar, Chilean:

Patricia Janiot, Colombian
More Colombians,

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 18:44
I fail to see how this can be discussed 'seriously'[1]. I don't mind looking at some of the pictures though. Thumbs Up

[1] Unless possibly you're a casting director for a movie studio and trying to predict audience reaction in various places.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 22:31
I have to agree with gcle on this one. Too subjective. I believe Octavio Paz' point in referring to his own race as the "raza cosmica" was to underscore the fact that such a wide variety of racial and racially mixed groups can share the same citizenship and culture.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 00:41
I just wanted to show the the readers of CNN in Spanish, bassed on Atlanta, U.S., are just average people from Latin America.
I remember decades ago when I was an immigrant in Canada I have serious trouble to figure it out if a Chilean was in the street. The only time I could figure it out for sure it was at September 18th, my country's birthday. At that day all chileans in town weared andalucian flat hats, the same kind our cowboys do LOL... The rest of the days, Chileans were invisible among Canadians.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 01:31
An Aztec dance in Mexico these days. As you can see, most dancers have a "white Mexican" look. Well, at least from the oppinions about "race" among Mexicans I have heared in this forum...

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 02:31
The dance is in Taos, New Mexico. And if the dancers are from New Mexico, then chances are that they are Aztec wannabees. I respect their desire to know about their past, but there is very little chance that they are descended from Aztecs. The troops who conquered New Mexico were Tlaxcalan. The great majority of "Nortenos" are descended fron either Tlaxcalans or Tarascans, and yes, I am aware of previous posts on "Tarascans".  You can also find such troupes in the "zocalo". They are a modern phenomen, not unlike the Anglos all dressed up in robes and whatever, claiming to represent pre-Christian Europe. Except for their genes, they are little different from Boy Scout troops who dress up as "native Americans" for Thanksgiving pageants. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 02:49

Indeed. There are some people, in places like Mexico, who wants to recall Aztec customs back to life. However, they are authentic modern Mexicans as much as the Mayas of Chiapas. People also forgets that Indigenous pure groups are a minority in Mexico these days and that most people is mixed.

The point is clear, the people that shows on TV are representative of Mexicans.

Anyways, here there are Nahuatl speaking natives, relatives of the real Aztecs:

As you can see, physically they are not that different from average Mexican. The division is in culture, and specially in the levels of poverty that affect native americans. There there is a big wall that still has to be turned down.

Edited by pinguin - 02-May-2009 at 03:38
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 03:51
Yes, you can find real nahuatl speaking Mexicans right in front of the hotel next to the U.S. Embassy. But they are just one of many ethnicities that makes up Mexico. There is an ethnic division in Mexico that is greater than Chollos versus Indios, and that is Nortenos versus those who are not Norteno. Nortenos see themselves as the powerhouse of Mexico. They produce the goods that bring Mexico foreign exchange. And they pay the taxes that keep the Mexican state afloat. "Chilangos" despise and loath the Nortenos, but the Nortenos don't really care. They live in their own neighborhoods, frequent their own clubs, listen to their own music, and generally prefer a cuisine common to Northern Mexico. They also have a preference for Tecate beer. Many of the Nortenos are, genetically, Indians, but their culture is shared with Mestizos, and even the "Espanolitos" of long established families. They are the powerhouse nof Mexico, and the truth of the matter is that they have a lot more in common with Anglo Texans, than they do the denizens of Mexico City.Of course, the majority of Texans fail to recognize this. They share the same territory, eat the same kinds of food, listen to music whose only real difference is the language in which it is sung, driunk the same beers and tequila, wear the same kind of clothes, hats, and boots, and attend the same kjind of churches on Sunday morning. They even drive the same brand and type of vehicles. Yet the Anglo Texans see themselves as unique, but not Nortenos. The Nortenos see themselves as unique, but not Anglo Tejanos. Yet they both share common, yet disputed, culural aspects.

Just some thoughts for you Pinguino. As you know, I've never been in Chile, yet I suspect that you know some Chileans who are much like these "Texans" and "Tejanos". Thank God the world is a fascinating place. We will never be bored.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 04:10

Well, Norteño music sounds pretty "low class" and bad-taste kind of music in Chile. People that like that kind of music are usually the more ignorant countryside peasants. Our own country music is pretty elegant, and derivates directly from Spanish traditions. A show:

With respect to internal divisions, ours is a very uniform people, with the exception of the Mapuches. And makes sense. The Mapuches were an independent society all the way since 1541 (Spanish invasion) up to 1881, the year when the Chilean army finally invaded the Mapuche territories, and they started to lost theirs lands, that were given to germans, upper class land lords and that now are at the hand of wood companies.
There is not internal divisions according to degree of admixture and cultures, of the kind you see in Mexico, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil, Colombia or Argentina.

Edited by pinguin - 02-May-2009 at 04:15
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:09
Originally posted by pinguin

I remember decades ago when I was an immigrant in Canada I have serious trouble to figure it out if a Chilean was in the street. The rest of the days, Chileans were invisible among Canadians.

Well .... it was back in the 1970's when very few Latinos resided in Canada.The Anglo-Canadians had no reason to seek out " foreign looks " among the general populace in their daily life.

To this day,I haven't met any Anglo or northern European descent couldn't distinguish Mestizos at a glance LOL.

Edited by pebbles - 02-May-2009 at 10:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:15
You haven't been in Canada. If you imagine it is the nordic paradyse, you are wrong.
And I wasn't talking about what WASP people could distinguish...
I was talking about what MYSELF couldn't distinguish.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:20

You haven't been in Canada. If you imagine it is the nordic paradyse, you are wrong.

I visited Vancouver and Ontario provinces several times.Canada is now a multi-racial nation like USA ( lesser extend,though ).

America's Mexican overflows are there Shocked,it's an epidemic.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:23
Originally posted by pebbles

I visited Vancouver and Ontario provinces several times.Canada is now a multi-racial nation like USA ( lesser extend,though ).

America's Mexican overflows are there Shocked,it's an epidemic.

I bet Canada is, by now, a lot less white than the U.S.

With respect to Mexicans in the U.S. you better get accustomed to it, or move to Europe -which is full of Africans and muslims already-. Obama realized that when say Americans should learn Spanish Confused

Edited by pinguin - 02-May-2009 at 07:24
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:32

Ismael Cala, Cuban

Overwhelming majority Cuban-Americans are pure blood Spanish.They're the most highly educated Hispanics in America.

1 notable successful assimilated Cuba-born immigrant was Desi Arnez ( married to America's beloved comedien Lucille Ball ),co-starred and producer of TV hit sit-com of 1950's & 1960's " I Love Lucy " !

Edited by pebbles - 02-May-2009 at 07:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:35
Do you really believe that? I still have to find a Cuban that isn't at least marginally mulatto or even Indigenous. They all have some drops.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:42
America's earliest Cuban immigrants fled communist revolution of Fidel Castro.They were the landowners and wealthy business families of predominately Spaniard ancestry.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 07:44
Moved to Modern Culture.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 08:21
Hey moderator, you will left empty the section about history of the Americas
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 09:29

People also forgets that Indigenous pure groups are a minority in Mexico these days and that most people is mixed.

As you can see, physically they are not that different from average Mexican.

The division is in culture, and specially in the levels of poverty that affect native americans. There there is a big wall that still has to be turned down.

These individuals have physical build & facial features not any different from Mexicans of acculturated-Spanish indigenous people and Mestizos have higher percentage of indigenous bloodline otherwise 50% ( give or take ) of Mexican population look " mixed ".Also,there is 10%-20% have fair-skin and very Spanish appearance.

The division is economic not culture !

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 09:39
Have you ever seen Spaniards? I do. Some of them are darker than the natives of Cuzco.

By the way, don't tell me "white" Americans are pure europeans either. Many have obvious non-european admixtures.

Edited by pinguin - 02-May-2009 at 09:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>