Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your current project?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your current project?
    Posted: 12-May-2009 at 13:05
I'm going to Greece for two weeks with a friend in a few weeks, and I'm going to be working on an essay about the foreign policy of the smaller Diadochi states and if - as many modern historians maintain - they just imitated the policies of the "big three" Hellenistic powers. I'm just collecting the notes for it now, but it seems as if they did, especially the Attalids. I may also do an essay about archaic Delphi - the Siphnian and Sikyonian treasuries are incredibly interesting, and I think that several vase painters in the early classical period must have been heavily inspired by the Pediment on the Siphnian treasury (c.520) which shows Apollo and Herakles fighting over the tripod.

Antonaccio's An Archeology of Ancestors

Is that the Italian Hellenistic and Archaic Greek historian based at Durham university who wrote in the Cambridge companion to the archaic period - if so, I had tea with her at Durham! Amazing essays!
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 06:05
I dont believe it is the same person Aster. She teaches at Duke University and graduated from Princeton. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 12:57
Right now I'm engaged in research and rough drat production for a voluntary thesis on Analysis of New Media as Three-Dimensional Texts. Basically attempting to devise a universal method of analysing interactive media, such as websites and video games, and the techniques used within. Breaking down the texts into the three dimensions of the Narratological elements, Representational elements and Ludic or Spatial elements.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2009 at 05:18
Sounds fanciful Zaitsev!

Sorry about the huge delay in responding here, Hugo - funnily enough, it is this very project which has been occupying most of my time lately.

I apologise to everyone in advance that this isn't history-related in the least - feel free to ignore it Smile For the paper, I am of course investigating leaf litter biodiversity and abundance. The main objectives are twofold;

Null hypothesis 1: There is no difference in invertebrate community composition between deep leaf litter and pine leaf litter
Null hypothesis 2: There is no difference in collection results between a direct count method and the use of a Tulgren funnel (using deep leaf litter as a controlled variable)

I am testing these for falsification, and in doing this, I am looking at three main aspects of the biological assemblages - diversity, species richness and abundance. I am using the Shannon Index (H) to measure diversity, which basically looks at relative proportions of species within an assemblage. For those who care:

proportion = number of individuals of species / number of total individuals in assemblage

diversity index = - sum of {proportion * (natural logarithm * proportion)}

Each of the 3 experimental setups have been repeated 23 times for increased reliability. I'm also using some other statistics to test the hypotheses, like standard deviation.

I'm just writing up the discussion section at the moment, so the paper's almost finished Approve

Regards,

- Knights -
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2009 at 15:24

Wow Knights - you are a Polymath! I've rarely known or been in contact with anyone who can both excell in humanities and sciences! Kudos to you sir, Kudos!

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 05:34
Why thank you, Aster Approve

Now that I've finished that project, it's straight on to another one, for biochemistry! How is you Diadochi essay going, Aster?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 12:32
Object recognition, face perception, sound localisation, sound recognition, visual neural pathways, and attention for an exam in an hour. Can't wait till these exams are finished.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 15:16
All of my projects are shrouded in secrecy. If the dark sorcery I am undertaking was ever brought to light, not only would I be anathematized, but likely burned at the stake as well. Muhahaha!...

...either that, or I'm just being lazy at the moment. You judge which narrative fits my character the best. Wink

-Akolouthos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12