Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your current project?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your current project?
    Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 03:30
Hey, how about we talk about what our current projects are?

I am about to start a project with Mixcoatl involving twittering and a historical figure. It is a total rip off of Darwin twittering, but I think that the idea is good enough to copy .

I also have another project, with Mixcoatl, but I got to have more stuff about that ready before I can discuss it.

Okay, how about you?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 05:36
Sounds good, Hugo Smile

At the moment, I am working on a scientific paper about leaf litter biodiversity. Basically, my method has involved sampling from different layers of ground cover (leaf litter, undersoil.etc) from different habitats, to observe the biodiversity of invertebrates. Soon I will begin analysing the data, to produce statistics in regards to species diversity, distribution, abundance and such. Not historical at all, I know, but it is my 'current project'. Smile

I'm interested to see what everyone else is working on at present.

Regards,

- Knights -
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 08:23
At the moment I'm doing a 5K essay on Eoin Mac Neill. I seem to be writing absolute drivel :(
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 12:17
Cool project, Knights! What tools are you using for taking the samples? How are you counting invertebrates? And what tools are you going to use for your statistical analysis?

Parnell,

What is the essay about, specifically? Sometimes talking about it others helps to refocus. If you are lucky, just talking about it will make your essay write itself :)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 12:32
Discourse analysis as a method of qualitative research.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 13:25
The essay is about the Irish historian (And revolutionary) Eoin Mac Neill. I have to analyse his view of 'Celtic Ireland' 'Irish Nationality'etc. Problem is that I'm not terribly interested in Celtic Ireland, and I have to finish it today! Am making some headway, but I think I'd be lucky to get a 2:1 on this, very lucky indeed actually.

Which brings me to another point which grinds my gears: Why is that with examination essays, one nearly always does worse than one does with non-examination essays? I've gotten essays back before with nice clean Firsts, essays I had put work into and were relatively proud of. When it comes to doing exam essays I seem to worry and end up writing drivel, with no intellectual confidence whatsoever and with a load of subtle plea's for mercy!

The good thing is that I'm doing plenty of procrastinating though.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 14:52
Hi, Parnell,

It seems that you are having performance anxiety over the examination. Of course you don't have that much time right now to work through this, so I will give you my easy solution that I use when I am stuck like that: listen to music and force yourself to work for only 15 minute. Use a timer. Take a 5 minute break after that. Use a timer again. Repeat several times.

If it all goes well, at some point you will lose yourself on the task and be able to finish it. The problem tends to be the first hurdle, at least with me.

Dolphin,

Expand more on it. Are you working on a how to use discourse analysis for research, or are you doing discourse analysis on something? :)
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 17:30
Im doing a 15-20 page paper on the history of the Greek Hero Cult, alongside the various aspects of it, from ritual to locations etc. etc.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 17:39
Cool project Theodore Felix. :) Let us know what methodology you are using for your paper. Also comment about the sources, if you could. :)
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 22:52
Even though I'm very busy at the current time once things calm down, I eventually want to write something on ether the Napoleonic Wars, the American Civil War, or ether the Boer War or the American experience  in Vietnam.

I just can't decide yet but I can't wait until I do!Smile

Edited by Kevin - 01-May-2009 at 23:26
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 22:55
I have been working on a couple papers dealing with Eastern and Western Christian interpretations of the will, predestination, and grace in the book of Romans in late antiquity.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 23:34
Kevin,
Well, let us know when you are ready to start one. :)

Nice topic, BE :) What is your main position on your paper at this point?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 00:30
I just finished a paper on Cannibalism in the Old English texts, Beowulf, Andreas, Wonders of the East, and The Saint Christopher cycles.
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 02:19
I just finished a paper on Slavenka Drakulic's How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed as a part of an overall study of feminism post WWII.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 02:46
Hi, King John and Donasin,

Any chance of us at AE getting to read your papers? :)

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 05:42
I was actually thinking about putting it on here.  I want to talk to the Prof. about it first and then we will see.  It is still a little rough in places and might need some polishing.  I normally sit on things because I don't think they are good enough so it might also take some prodding from some people.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 17:58
Please, please PLEASEEEEEE!!!!
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 23:24
I may I'll have to see what my professor thinks about it first and do some more editing.

I have a book report on Ordinary Men Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland that I am pretty proud of as well.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 14:11
Originally posted by hugoestr

Hi, Parnell,

It seems that you are having performance anxiety over the examination. Of course you don't have that much time right now to work through this, so I will give you my easy solution that I use when I am stuck like that: listen to music and force yourself to work for only 15 minute. Use a timer. Take a 5 minute break after that. Use a timer again. Repeat several times.

If it all goes well, at some point you will lose yourself on the task and be able to finish it. The problem tends to be the first hurdle, at least with me.

Not the first time I suffered from performance anxiety! I got in ok, only 4 thousands words though. I've an uncanny knack for making a 4000 word essay look a 5000 word essay.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 18:57
Cool project Theodore Felix. :) Let us know what methodology you are using for your paper. Also comment about the sources, if you could. :)

Working mostly by looking into archeological resources, Antonaccio's An Archeology of Ancestors is extremely useful for this. Outside of purely archeological works Im also using philological works such as Best of the Achaeans by Gregory Nagy, an indispensable work on the Homeric Cycle that has truly redefined our understanding of those works and their relation to the Hero Cult.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>