Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indian Books gone wrong......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indian Books gone wrong......
    Posted: 05-May-2009 at 19:35
Originally posted by gcle2003

I thought someone quoted the Declaration of Independence. That would be the 18th century one wouldn't it?

Yes, it was me. Now let's take a closer look and try to understand the implications of the word 'Savage' and the meaning we gather from it. Starting with the sentence from the Decalration of Independence.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In this sentence we have key words that describe the intent of the author, which by themselves define the tone and meaning of the term. In a sense the sentence defines the term as if were a dictionary.

Key words to describe Indians:

- merciless
- they operate with undistinguished destruction
- destruction that even targets all ages, sexes and conditions

This is how the term 'Savage' was used in the Declaration..

Now with what we currently know of savagery, how the term was used in the sentence above and how it is described in dictionaries of (the past and) present we can get a good idea in what it is supposed to mean:

Savage - Not civilized; barbaric: a savage people.
               Vicious or merciless; brutal: a savage attack on a political rival.
            Lacking the restraints normal to civilized human beings.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 20:15
Of course it is. You are interpreting it with a preconcieved notion that different is not necessarily lesser. Most individuals wheter directly or indirectly saw their civlization as higher, thus the "savages" as lesser. They may admire some features, but again admire in the sense of an adult admiring steps a child may take.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by Seko

I thought someone quoted the Declaration of Independence. That would be the 18th century one wouldn't it?

Yes, it was me. Now let's take a closer look and try to understand the implications of the word 'Savage' and the meaning we gather from it. Starting with the sentence from the Decalration of Independence.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In this sentence we have key words that describe the intent of the author, which by themselves define the tone and meaning of the term. In a sense the sentence defines the term as if were a dictionary.
Actually it doesn't. It says the Indians were at that time savages, that they were merciless, and that they destroyed enemies without distinction of sex or age. It doesn't say they were merciless, etc because they were savages. They would have called the Hopi, or the Kwakiutl, or the Washoe savages too, but I doubt they would have called them merciless or destroyers, since afaik they never fought anyone.

- merciless

With reference to a specific group of 'savages' with whom they had been at war. Whether the accusations were justified or not is a matter of fact: but they would still have been seen as 'savages' no matter how peaceful. The invading Spanish certanly saw the Caribs as 'savages' and they were pretty harmless.

Now with what we currently know of savagery, how the term was used in the sentence above and how it is described in dictionaries of (the past and) present we can get a good idea in what it is supposed to mean:

Savage is obviously the opposite to civilised, as I've been pointing out - it meeans essentially 'wild' or 'living in the wild'. But 'civilised is not necessarily a laudatory epithet. (Think what 'city boy' means in the rural South.) Both terms just refer to a certain way of organising society.

'Lacking the restraints normal to civilised human beings' is two-edged, since it implies freedom rather than regimentation. It also follows that the savage lacks many of the sins typical of civilised societies. Savages don't in general go in for genocide or crusades. They don't have much in the way of organised crime either. Only civilised people have that. 

However I'm not arguing that 'savage' isn't frequently, or even mostly nowadays, seen as derogatory. It evidently is. My point was that it is unwise to assume that everyone means the same by it, or that it hasn't developed historically.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 20:19

Were the Indians (or some of them) hunter-gatherers? If so they weren't civilized.

I don't think that when people use the term "savage" for Native Americans, they are not making a technical distinction on how they make a living, but rather they are comparing them to animals. Another point: people often use "savage" to strip away the humanity of others. So the savages end up being less human than those who are civilized.

If we have perfectly nice terms that are not loaded to describe different culture, why not use them?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 20:32
Originally posted by hugoestr

Were the Indians (or some of them) hunter-gatherers? If so they weren't civilized.

I don't think that when people use the term "savage" for Native Americans, they are not making a technical distinction on how they make a living, but rather they are comparing them to animals. Another point: people often use "savage" to strip away the humanity of others. So the savages end up being less human than those who are civilized.

If we have perfectly nice terms that are not loaded to describe different culture, why not use them?

Partly because they'll very soon be just as loaded all over again (just as they weren't so loaded to begin with). If people look down on 'savages' they will look down on them whatever they are called.

And, again, to restate an earlier point, you can't change historical terms. Therefore you have to consider what the word meant in the period in which it was used, in the milieu it was used, and and considering the people of which it was used.

That remains a necessary task even if everyone agrees never to use the word about anyone at all ever in the future. Tongue
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 20:55
Fortunately, the term "savage" passed away after World War II. At that time, after the hollocaust, carpet bombing and 50 millions death, humans finally realized the most savage people on human history appeared in civilized Europe.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 21:24
I would suggest maybe writing something that contrasts the myths and stories of your tribe with maybe mythology around the world or to a specific culture. "Pueblo gods and Myths" is a good example of this. The author contrasts the Hopi/Pueblo myths with Greek mythology. I have only read part of the first chapter but so far I do not see bias. The author is not Hopi/Pueblo or even Native American but I think he is very respectful of their culture. From what I have read so far the Hopi/Pueblo are exclusive in some of their ceremonies; even to other tribes. I really suggest reading this book and maybe it could provide with a direction. I would also talk to any tribal Elders and maybe work under their guidance and wisdom. It is always good to get the advice from someone who might know what aspects of your culture, myth and customs can be written and what areas of tradition or only for oral tradition. I realize that some stories, customs, ceremonies are sacred and cannot be repeated but this is not true about all tribes. Maybe you could contrast your culture with other tribes in Canada, Mexico or the USA.

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 21:44

Actually it doesn't. It says the Indians were at that time savages, that they were merciless, and that they destroyed enemies without distinction of sex or age. It doesn't say they were merciless, etc because they were savages. They would have called the Hopi, or the Kwakiutl, or the Washoe savages too, but I doubt they would have called them merciless or destroyers, since afaik they never fought anyone.

- merciless

With reference to a specific group of 'savages' with whom they had been at war. Whether the accusations were justified or not is a matter of fact: but they would still have been seen as 'savages' no matter how peaceful. The invading Spanish certanly saw the Caribs as 'savages' and they were pretty harmless.

Savage is obviously the opposite to civilised, as I've been pointing out - it meeans essentially 'wild' or 'living in the wild'. But 'civilised is not necessarily a laudatory epithet. (Think what 'city boy' means in the rural South.) Both terms just refer to a certain way of organising society.

'Lacking the restraints normal to civilised human beings' is two-edged, since it implies freedom rather than regimentation. It also follows that the savage lacks many of the sins typical of civilised societies. Savages don't in general go in for genocide or crusades. They don't have much in the way of organised crime either. Only civilised people have that. 

However I'm not arguing that 'savage' isn't frequently, or even mostly nowadays, seen as derogatory. It evidently is. My point was that it is unwise to assume that everyone means the same by it, or that it hasn't developed historically.

Given that acts of war by the Indian Savages were of the unidistinguished destructive variety, there leaves liitle doubt as to what kind of people they were in battle according to those who described them as such. We also know that Indians have been called merciless by the very same rivals.

After this little diddy we can make some conclusions. For starters, the word Savage was used in history to describe the Indians. In context that answers the question, "Who are the Savages?". Next we also know that Savages were not civilized, hence the polar opposite in the antonym. We can also deduce that Savages acted in a merciless fashion. Whether by the founding fathers or through historical context, the 'White man' has used this term to define an Indian.

Whether there still is doubt as to its meaning this is best left to the eye of the beholder given the circumstances evident in the usage of 'savage'. No more need to skin this cat multiple times over. I can agree with your statement, However I'm not arguing that 'savage' isn't frequently, or even mostly nowadays, seen as derogatory. It evidently is.

Don't know if your next point is relevant or not though, My point was that it is unwise to assume that everyone means the same by it, or that it hasn't developed historically. Within the framework given its hard to think of a Savage as anything but uncivilized, merciless and brutal, etc. Mind you, we can also call civilized people Savages as well. They all performed acts of savagery.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 22:17
Seko,

"Actually it doesn't. It says the Indians were at that time savages, that they were merciless, and that they destroyed enemies without distinction of sex or age."

Me:  Absolutely true for the period and enemies described. You surely agree that the Northeast and Plains Indians viewed war as the great sport, valued the ability to inflict and receive torture as the measure of a man, and employed scalping, flaying, and other means to terrorize their enemies, Red and White. In short, it was a savaage culture, and within the confines of that culture, its members viewed themselves as decent and law abiding warriors. After all, they didin't do anything to anyone that they didn't expect to be done to themselves.

"They would have called the Hopi, or the Kwakiutl, or the Washoe savages too, but I doubt they would have called them merciless or destroyers, since afaik they never fought anyone."

Me; And you know this how? You've "channeled" the authors of the Declaration? Oh, and the Kwakiutl used to sacrifice slaves during their "potlucks". Human sacrifice for entertainment, hmmmm.

"The invading Spanish certainly saw the Caribs as 'savages' and they were pretty harmless. "

Me: The Caribes "harmless". The Taino certainly would not have agreed. Let's see, a warrior male oriented society forever raiding for women, who were kept as long as they had male offspring, then sacrificed and eaten. Oh, and the losers of their battles were also eaten. Where did you study Caribbean history? Mine degree was taken at the Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico.

Your arguments are the heighth of political correctness. Talk about counting the angels on the head of pin. Feel free to ban me at any time.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 22:28
Now why would I ban you lirelou? For rebuttals? That's not a grave offense.

If we look back at my posts I never qualified guilt or associated emotional content while sharing my evidence. Though I could see that some may assume I chose a side and stuck with it. The side I chose was prevalent in literature though. And afterall, that is what I aimed to prove just in case there had been any doubt as to the sterotyping of Indians.

Please, continue posting without unduly harm.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 23:16
History of the Coeur d’ Alene Indians is another book that discusses the history and some customs of that NW Salish Tribe. I have a copy but sadly it is out of print.

History of the Paiutes is another book I recommend by Sarah Winnemucca. The book talks about a legend where this tribe came in contact with some white people and harmoniously lived alongside them but then the whites got greedy; which led discord and to a falling away. I get the impression this legend goes way back and could be pre-Columbian or they could have been Spaniards- who knows. We can only speculate to the cows come back.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 00:42
I also think the term civil would be inappropriate to describe the Natives of the USA. If my Latin is not failing me, we get the word (and civilisation) from the Latin civitas, which means city. Plainly it would be wrong to apply such a word to hunter-gatherer societies.

On the other hand, I would have no qualms about applying such a term to such peoples as the Aztecs and Inca.

The traditional people of the USA would largely fit into the mould of cultures rather than civilisations.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 01:23
Civil applies, too, to Ancient Kahokians and to the Pueblo natives.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 01:23

Partly because they'll very soon be just as loaded all over again (just as they weren't so loaded to begin with). If people look down on 'savages' they will look down on them whatever they are called.

That is the case with words that are euphemisms for things that are intrinsically negative or to which there are very strongly negative associations in a society. So "working class" will probably become a negative term because there is nothing that can avoid the negative realities of poverty.

However, when talking about ethnic groups, the change in terms does work. There really isn't anything intrinsically wrong about being a hunter-gatherer; and using the word hunter-gatherer is descriptive of their way of life.

Saying that they are savages, on the other hand, does cast a strongly negative connotation.

And, again, to restate an earlier point, you can't change historical terms. Therefore you have to consider what the word meant in the period in which it was used, in the milieu it was used, and and considering the people of which it was used.

That remains a necessary task even if everyone agrees never to use the word about anyone at all ever in the future. Tongue

Yes, I do agree with this point, to a certain extent. The video that I showed from Mexican television highlights how racist Mexican and Latin American societies were that no one thought that the skit was inappropriate. Should we give people slack? Sure, a bit. However, considering that we have documented cases in Latin American of people speaking against this kind of discrimination since the XV century, maybe it shouldn't be too much slack.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 01:26
“Actually it doesn't. It says the Indians were at that time savages, that they were merciless, and that they destroyed enemies without distinction of sex or age."

I agree with you here and in “War of Thousand Deserts” it talks about the various raids by Indians against each other. One story in this book talked about, I think, an Arapaho raid on a Comanche village. They waited till the Comanche went to war leaving the village of mostly older people, children and women with only a few warriors to guard it. While they were off on this raid the Arapaho and another tribe raided the village and not only slaughtered many of the villagers but took many of the women and children into slavery. It sounded like a Native American version of Wounded Knee.   I would have to reread it sometime but I think it was this raid where they piled the decapitated heads of their victims into barrels or something like that. Most of Northern Mexico was devastated by Indian raid and a constant cycle of revenge based on a warrior ethos. This book really goes into detail about this and I suggest it if you love Mexican and Native American history. This book fails to discuss the Comanche’s views on mythology and religion that would help explain their beliefs about war and revenge.

Constantine XI not all tribes were hunters and gatherers. Tribes like the Hopi or Pueblo were Chacolilthic or Copper Age and had a very advanced system of agriculture. Although I agree with you about the Aztec etc !
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 05:45
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I also think the term civil would be inappropriate to describe the Natives of the USA. If my Latin is not failing me, we get the word (and civilisation) from the Latin civitas, which means city. Plainly it would be wrong to apply such a word to hunter-gatherer societies.

On the other hand, I would have no qualms about applying such a term to such peoples as the Aztecs and Inca.

The traditional people of the USA would largely fit into the mould of cultures rather than civilisations.

As pinguin points out, there were indeed urbanized groups in the US. Along the Mississipi River, from the mouth to as far north as Ohio, the Hopewell culture built numerous large walled settlements around platform temples. In the Southwest, there are a number of large, fortress-like settlements built of masonry, featuring dwellings, workshops, temples/shrines, granaries and large plazas or amphitheatres, such as the one at Chaco Canyon. Not to mention the "Aztec Ruins" and Salmon Ruins in New Mexico - not actually built by Aztecs, but by ancestors of one of the Pueblo groups. Both of these were planned, stonebuilt settlements constructed in a grid.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 08:29
Yes, that is why I said the natives would largely be classed as cultures rather than civilisations, there are certainly exceptions.

Another indicator of civilisation is widespread practice of agriculture. Like the construction of permanent settlements, this also varied from one people to the next.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 12:21

[

Given that acts of war by the Indian Savages were of the unidistinguished destructive variety, there leaves liitle doubt as to what kind of people they were in battle according to those who described them as such. We also know that Indians have been called merciless by the very same rivals.

After this little diddy we can make some conclusions. For starters, the word Savage was used in history to describe the Indians. In context that answers the question, "Who are the Savages?". 
It shows the Indians were classed as savages. It doesn't show that 'savage' means 'Indian'. The Indians referred to were classed as savages because they lived outside the pattern called 'civilised' - i.e. focussed around towns. They were referred to as merciless becaus it was alleged (rightly or wrongly) that they behaved without mercy. But the 'merciless' doesn't follow from the 'savage' or vice versa: they are independent judgements. The Polynesians of Tonga were also called savages - at the same time that their country was called the 'Friendly Islands'.  (They might have been less friendly later, but the point is that savages could be seen as friendly by the same people at the same time. In the 18th century by the by.)
Next we also know that Savages were not civilized, hence the polar opposite in the antonym.
True. The words quite obvously have opposed roots - 'civilised' from 'civilis' and 'savage' from 'silva'. Civilised people live in cities (by extension towns and townships), savages live in the forest (by extension in wild country). Those are quite objective criteria.
We can also deduce that Savages acted in a merciless fashion.
Some savages. You can't deduce a universal from a particular.
Whether by the founding fathers or through historical context, the 'White man' has used this term to define an Indian.

Whether there still is doubt as to its meaning this is best left to the eye of the beholder given the circumstances evident in the usage of 'savage'. No more need to skin this cat multiple times over. I can agree with your statement, However I'm not arguing that 'savage' isn't frequently, or even mostly nowadays, seen as derogatory. It evidently is.

Don't know if your next point is relevant or not though, My point was that it is unwise to assume that everyone means the same by it, or that it hasn't developed historically. Within the framework given its hard to think of a Savage as anything but uncivilized, merciless and brutal, etc.
If that's the way you use it yourself, then you are going to find it a hard job. That's why I warn against assuming other people necessarily mean it the same way.
 Mind you, we can also call civilized people Savages as well. They all performed acts of savagery.
That you can call civilised people 'savages' shows immediately that you are using 'savage' in a different way: otherwise it's a contradiction in terms.

Incidentally, science fiction has explored the concept of technological development leading to a return to living outside civilised environments. Azimov deals with it in Caves of Steel and particularly The Naked Sun. In them it is the Spacers - who live outside cities - who look down on the humans left living in the cities of Earth.

Equally incidentally, London's Savage Club is so-called because the members take pride in their history of 'drunken merriment', not because they pride themselves on their ferocity or mercilessness.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 14:11
Originally posted by hugoestr

...The video that I showed from Mexican television highlights how racist Mexican and Latin American societies were that no one thought that the skit was inappropriate. Should we give people slack? Sure, a bit. However, considering that we have documented cases in Latin American of people speaking against this kind of discrimination since the XV century, maybe it shouldn't be too much slack.

I thought I have shown you that you are ABSOLUTELY wrong in analysing that video. And I believed you understood that was a perfect example of MISUNDERSTANDING of cultures, when seen from the outside, which is your case with that video.

You didn't reply my arguments there, and now you came back with the idea you have a "proof".

I don't get it. Do I write so badly in english you couldn't get it? Or you just preffered to ignore the oppinion of a "savage" (insider) LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 15:03
Originally posted by pinguin

I thought I have shown you that you are ABSOLUTELY wrong in analysing that video. And I believed you understood that was a perfect example of MISUNDERSTANDING of cultures, when seen from the outside, which is your case with that video.

Pinguin is right, Hugo. I know it's difficult for you since you are so Anglosaxon, but couldn't you at least try to look at it like a Mexican would?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>