Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gotvandi (Dezfuli), Guti and Gothic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gotvandi (Dezfuli), Guti and Gothic
    Posted: 28-May-2009 at 07:20
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=heal&searchmode=none

heal Look up heal at Dictionary.com
O.E. hælan "make whole, sound and well," from P.Gmc. *khailaz (cf. O.S. helian, O.N. heila, O.Fris. hela, Du. heelen, Ger. heilen), lit. "to make whole," which is also the source of O.E. hal (see health).

This is very interesting to read this book: Hittite Etymological Dictionary: Words beginning with H

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 28-May-2009 at 07:58
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

The fact is that, unlike numerous Eurocentric sources, these are rare non-biased European sources, the authors are themselves European scholars, what can be the reason of their bias? They just can't hide the facts when they find numerous evidences (genetic, archaeological, linguistic, ...), for example when they see hala is "The Kassite goddess of healing": http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/hala.html and compare it with a same Gothic word which means "heal/healing", Old English hal, Old Frisian hela, Old Norse heila, ... and know there are different cognate words in other Indo-European languages, what can be the conclusion of them?
Waddell, Montgomery, et al. are hardly unbiased, Waddell's book came out in 1929 and has yet to be proven correct, I also provided you with a review of his book while others have provided you with reviews and synopsis of his other works.  Montgomery on the other hand needs the Kassites to be the ancestors of Europeans for his argument to work, in forming his argument his mistranslates certain sources to get them to say what he wants, this is hardly unbiased behavior.  His argument is this: the kings and queens of Europe are/were descendants of Jesus Christ a la the Da Vinci Code, he needs the Kassites for his connection of Middle Eastern populations with European populations. 

Hala can also be compared to the Kosher bread Challah, that two are very similar in pronunciation and spelling.  Let's look at the Old English word hal and the Old Norse word heila.  The OE hal as a noun means "a hall" and as an adjective means "whole, hale, well, in good health, sound, safe, without fraud, honest" these definitions hardly mean heal/healing.  The ON word heila means "to make whole" this has nothing to do with healing.  The Old Frisian hela actually means "to conceal" again nothing to do with "heal/healing."  The Gothic word for "to heal" would be gahailnan or gahailjan not really all that similar to the other words.  

The cognates described above and in your quote can be attributed to the development of the European languages from a common Indo-European language with a few exceptions like Finnish and Basque.  This is a much simpler explanation then the one you suggest and I would argue probably more correct.

Know this, I'm not saying your theory is rubbish, I'm saying that I think you are mistaken and have a propensity to form a theory and then find your evidence this is not how one goes about formulating a viable theory.  As I have said before if you provide good, solid evidence I will happily change my mind and buy what you are selling as of right now you haven't made your argument and are using sources without any sort of criticism of them; this does not make for a good, solid, well constructed argument. 

Edited by King John - 28-May-2009 at 07:20
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 20:06

The fact is that, unlike numerous Eurocentric sources, these are rare non-biased European sources, the authors are themselves European scholars, what can be the reason of their bias? They just can't hide the facts when they find numerous evidences (genetic, archaeological, linguistic, ...), for example when they see hala is "The Kassite goddess of healing": http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/hala.html and compare it with a same Gothic word which means "heal/healing", Old English hal, Old Frisian hela, Old Norse heila, ... and know there are different cognate words in other Indo-European languages, what can be the conclusion of them?

I think this is not even worth a proper response. Don't you think it's time to read some linguistics, Cyrus?? Or else, don't read it, but don't use it, comment it, anything.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 19:51
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 19:05
There most certainly are reliable sources, just because I don't think most of your sources are reliable doesn't mean that I don't believe there are reliable sources.  Reliable sources are well documented, don't show a specific bias, and are well argued.  Most of the sources you have provided here are not well sourced/documented, do show a specific bias, and for the most part are not very well argued.

*Edit: Are you going to ever reply to my questions?  You haven't done this yet with any regularity.

Edited by King John - 27-May-2009 at 19:28
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 18:40
King John, is there any reliable source?!! You can see the Kassite migration to the northern Europe (around 1,000 BC) is considered as a very possible hypothesis in the modern books and different sources talk about it, do you think these all are lies?!

About Kassite language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassite_language however this Wiki article say almost nothing about this language but as you see it mentions two Kassite words, of course the meanings of them don't seem to be right, the first word is Buri and the article says it means "ruler", but according to this book, "Buri" actually means "the first-born" and relates to Sanskrit purvia which means the same, the Persian word is "pur" (son), like "Shahpur" (son of the king), Buri/Buriyas was also the weather-god of the Kassites: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/buriyas.html it can be compared with an Old Norse god with exactly the same name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BAri

Búri was the first god in Norse mythology. He was the father of Borr and grandfather of Odin. He was formed by the cow Auðumbla licking the salty ice of Ginnungagap. The only extant source of this myth is Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda.
The meaning of either Búri or Buri is not known. The first could be related to búr meaning "storage room" and the second could be related to burr meaning "son". "Buri" may mean "producer."

The book that I mentioned say some more interesting things about it:

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 15:42

King John, we know almost nothing about Cassi, the similarity between this name and Kassite can be a clue, of course it has been mentioned by those who research about the ancient Britain, for example look at this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=QnDtohOe8-QC

The British Chronicles
By David Hughes
Edition: illustrated
Published by Heritage Books, 2007
ISBN 0788444905, 9780788444906
662 pages

If we just "know Cassi were a people in the Northern Europe and nothing more is known about them, how can this excerpt have any merit?  I'm not saying Hughes is wrong but what I am saying is that his claim that the Cassi are actually the Kassites is merely conjecture.

*Edit: I don't see any sourcing for his claim, how do we know he is not making it up?  Cyrus, this is hardly a reliable source.

Edited by King John - 27-May-2009 at 15:51
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 12:40
King John, we know almost nothing about Cassi, the similarity between this name and Kassite can be a clue, of course it has been mentioned by those who research about the ancient Britain, for example look at this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=QnDtohOe8-QC

The British Chronicles
By David Hughes
Edition: illustrated
Published by Heritage Books, 2007
ISBN 0788444905, 9780788444906
662 pages

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 07:20
Answer the question, Cyrus.  How does it (the Wiki stub) show any connection between Cassi and Kassi?  Also answer the other question with which I finish my above post.  I shall reiterate this question: Are there any historians, archaeologists, or anthropologists that argue for a connection between the Kassi and the Cassi?  Don't dodge the questions I have asked, I know you like doing this but please extend to me the same courtesy I have extended to you.  I have answered your questions when asked and you rarely if ever answer my questions.  

As you read in the wiki we just know Cassi were a people in the Northern Europe and nothing more is known about them, so it is not clear they were Celtic, Germanic or Iranian, please believe it is wrong to say "everyone in the ancient Britain is a Celt!"
Who said this?  I did not ever imply that all the inhabitants of ancient Britain were Celts, I mere stated that the wiki stub you cited has no comment about the relationship between Cassi and Kassi.  
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 05:47
As you read in the wiki we just know Cassi were a people in the Northern Europe and nothing more is known about them, so it is not clear they were Celtic, Germanic or Iranian, please believe it is wrong to say "everyone in the ancient Britain is a Celt!!"
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 20:36

It is good to mention that the actual name of Kassite in the Mesopotamian inscriptions is Kassi and one of the oldest known tribes of northern Europe is Cassi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassi
How does this wiki stub show any connection between Kassi and Cassi?  This is what it says in its entirety:
Originally posted by Wikipedia

Cassi

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Cassi (disambiguation).

The Cassi are one of five tribes encountered by Julius Caesar during his second expedition to Britain in 55 BC when he crossed the Thames at Kew,[1] and who became became his allies after the Trinovantes joined him. The archaeologists Graham Webster and Barry Cunliffe both agree that nothing more is known about them,[2][3] but it has been suggested that between Caesar's second invasion and the invasion of Claudius in AD 43 that the Cassi along with other tribes such as the Ancalites and Bibroci merged to form the Catuvellauni, and thatCassivellaunus may have been a member of the Cassi tribe.[4][5]

[edit]References

Again how does this show any connection?  Are there any historians, archaeologists, or anthropologists that argue for a connection between the Kassi and the Cassi?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 19:27

It is good to mention that the actual name of Kassite in the Mesopotamian inscriptions is Kassi and one of the oldest known tribes of northern Europe is Cassi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassi

Oh please spare us...

CELT            GERMAN

The above two words have one letter in common - when are you going to cease confusing one with another???

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 19:23
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 18:23

King John, you say Waddell's book is just old, however you could never confute his evidences, what about my other sources and evidences? For example what I said in the first page about Kassites, the certain ancestors of Lurs who created the Luristan bronzes in Luristan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassites 
I think you need to reread what I wrote about Waddell's book, I said more than it's just old.  I provided a book review from H.L. Shapiro, that review is anything but flattering.  You can go back to page four to reread the review and entire post regarding Waddell's book.  I have commented on your other sources and evidence, you just haven't read them or responded to them.  About Nerman I have stated on page three that the excerpts from his article that you provided don't discuss migration, they discuss trade; therefore that source does not support your theory as I have read it.  In short before you claim that I never refute any evidence from your sources please read and understand what I actually write.

I'm sorry but I don't see where the Kassites come into this discussion, as far as I can see they have no connection to Goths (even less so than your other "connections").  You bring them up on the first page and then there's nothing really until page 6 in your post quoted above.

Lets read a new book by Hugh Montgomery: http://books.google.com/books?id=ccF81Snih_IC
After many years of research and with the help of scholars from around the world, Professor Hugh Montgomery has released a book that is clearly one of the most scholarly examinations of the heritage of European rulers to date. (Published by Book Tree, 2006)

Look at this page:

The book traces the descendants of Jesus through different royal lines, is this really that reliable.  I'm sure if you analyzed the DNA of many different people from different areas of the world with no ties to one another you would find them to be relatives, since all humans share common ancestors.  Before I comment further on the book give me a day or two to actually read it.

Edited by King John - 26-May-2009 at 18:23
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

Greeks migrated to Persia and were responsible for the emergence of Persian culture.
It seems formal logic is not part of Iranian school system. You haven't proved my statement correct, you have proved the statement Greeks migrated to Persia correct, but not the statement Greeks migrated to Persia and were responsible for the emergence of Persian culture. My statement is a conjunction and a conjunction can be true only if both of its operands are true. If only one (or none) of them is true, the conjunction is false.

What do you mean by "Persian culture"?! It is clear that Persian culture is a mixture of some different cultures and Greek culture has had certainly a very important role, no one can dny that Greek was the dominant culture in Iran for about 500 years (Seleucid, Parthian and early Sassanid periods), this can be one of reasons that as I mentioned in another thread we Persians use some original Greek words that Greeks themsevles don't use them today.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 15:21
Greeks migrated to Persia and were responsible for the emergence of Persian culture.
It seems formal logic is not part of Iranian school system. You haven't proved my statement correct, you have proved the statement Greeks migrated to Persia correct, but not the statement Greeks migrated to Persia and were responsible for the emergence of Persian culture. My statement is a conjunction and a conjunction can be true only if both of its operands are true. If only one (or none) of them is true, the conjunction is false.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 26-May-2009 at 15:28
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 15:10
King John, you say Waddell's book is just old, however you could never confute his evidences, what about my other sources and evidences? For example what I said in the first page about Kassites, the certain ancestors of Lurs who created the Luristan bronzes in Luristan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassites 

Lets read a new book by Hugh Montgomery: http://books.google.com/books?id=ccF81Snih_IC
After many years of research and with the help of scholars from around the world, Professor Hugh Montgomery has released a book that is clearly one of the most scholarly examinations of the heritage of European rulers to date. (Published by Book Tree, 2006)

Look at this page:

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 14:03

And this one, however has been found in Iran, but is certainly a Greek type:

Well, according to you way of thinking, this one would show some connection between Greeks and Persians, right?? So Greeks migrated to Persia and were responsible for the emergence of Persian culture??

Is there any doubt about this fact?!
Yes, there is a lot of doubt.
The above statement is true according to you?? Could you provide any source backing it up??
The source is the modern Persian culture, the influence of Greek culture on Persian can be seen in the inscription of Shapur I about 600 years after the Greek conquest in Naqsh-i-Rajab, north of Persepolis:

And the evidence of the Greek migration to Iran is the inscription of Antiochus III about the Greek people of Laodicea in the north of Luristan:

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2009 at 21:57

Originally posted by King John

Just search for Maps of Lur: http://mapsof.net/Lur/ as you see there are just three places in Iran and two places in Sweden with the exact name of Lur in the world, do you know why?
Because there is a finite combination of letters in the Indo-European languages.
Not all Indo-European languages, but some of them, as I said in the first page of this thread (about Middle Persian Lap "lip"), there was no "L" sound neither in Avestan nor in Old Persian language.
How does this show that there is not a finite combination of letters in the Indo-European Languages?  Lack of a sound doesn't mean that there are infinite combinations of letters.  Are you ever going to reply to my earlier posts like the long one on page 4 where I discuss Waddell as a source?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2009 at 21:24

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Just search for Maps of Lur: http://mapsof.net/Lur/ as you see there are just three places in Iran and two places in Sweden with the exact name of Lur in the world, do you know why?

Coincidence. The Swedish Lur (which is actually originally Norwegian) comes from lúðer, and a Scandinavian 'u' is not the same as a Persian (a Persian 'u' would be 'o' in Swedish).
It doesn't matter how Persians pronounce it, Luri "u" is neither similar to English "u", nor "o", Lurs pronounce it somehow that you think they want to kiss you! Wink

Of course it does. Search for "Lor" and you'll find tons of places, completely obliterating your statement that they exist only in Sweden and Luristan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>