Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Roman Military Docrines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brainsucker View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brainsucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Roman Military Docrines
    Posted: 09-Apr-2009 at 13:11

I'm from Asia, and I'm chinese, but I fond to the world historical military warfare. One of my most favorite one is the Roman Empire, and I have research their warfare and tactic by reading the internet.

But I think, the information that I have obtained hasn't sastified my thirst, yet. So I need to ask the people here, how the Roman used their troop in the era of Republic.

What I mean here is what was their military docrine, strategy, tradition, and tactic, and how they overpower their neighbor and conquer the world in the ancient time.
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2009 at 14:41
That's quite a lot, really. The subject is really meant for books rather than for a few replies in a forum. Would you be interested in a few bibliographical recommendations?

What I can address very briefly is the matter of "military doctrine", because this they mostly lacked. Doctrine, at least to my understanding, is a term that can only be applied after the introduction of the officer academies and the beginning of "scientific warfare".

What the Romans knew about war, they leaned not so much from the military treatises - which tended to be the work of scholars compiling the works of other scholars - but from the hard apprenticeship of war. Aristocrats were expected to do military service and start relatively low before they could run for a political office and be entrusted with leading an army.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2009 at 07:22
Brainsucker View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Brainsucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2009 at 02:24
Oh thanks, this site surely help
Galahadlrrp View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Galahadlrrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2009 at 16:58
--The Roman philosophy of war--doctrine, if you will--was a simple one. If you made war against Rome, Rome fought you until you stopped making war--and stopped on Rome's terms. With a very few exceptions--notably Parthia, Caledonia and Germania--the result was total domination.
--As for the means of enforcing the doctrine, take a look at this site--which same is most excellent: http://www.roman-empire.net/
--It covers Rome, from beginning to end, Kingdom,Republic and Empire. Click the button titled "Army" and you'll find a lot about the Roman Army, from earliest days down to the end of the Empire.

Edited by Galahadlrrp - 13-Apr-2009 at 16:59
 Post Reply Post Reply