Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A return to the system of Grand Alliances?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A return to the system of Grand Alliances?
    Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 19:03

I'm curious,

Does anyone else on here harbor the belief that the world is heading back to a Pre-First World War I system of loosely based International Alliances?

For example- Are we seeing another Triple Entente form and are we seeing another Triple Alliance forming although both of these are loosely based?

Any comments on this?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 19:30
We are not seeing another Triple Entente simply because the original is no longer. Along that same vein we (nations) always have, and most always will have treaties, unifications, and partnerships with anyone we please. Alliances are for everyone. My two cents. 
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 20:05
Originally posted by Seko

We are not seeing another Triple Entente simply because the original is no longer. Along that same vein we (nations) always have, and most always will have treaties, unifications, and partnerships with anyone we please. Alliances are for everyone. My two cents. 

I'm not saying an entente exactly like the Pre-WWI/WWI version of it but a new version of the alliance system that is the result of history and modern circumstances in which we have arrived at the same geopolitcal enviroment we had before the First World War.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 21:20
Good clarification Kevin. One that our notable history companions can answer better than I. If I had to add anything doubtful about traditional roles and alliances is that modern practicalities tend to make us evaluate our traditional partnerships. However, I still would add that tradition and age old partnerships still hold important bonds. 
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2009 at 01:56
I would encourage others to appreciate that the multi-polar world of 2009 is not the same as that of 1914.  In 1914, the powers were mostly European; mostly Christian; mostly accustomed at their policy making level to Victorian values and understanding; and even often related at the dynastic level to one anothers's Royal houses.  That did not prevent them savaging one another 1914-18, nor their bourgeois successors doing the same 1939-45. 

Not so today.  The cultural differences of the 2009 galaxy of powers are much greater; the possibility of pressure from public opinion much more complicated, and, frankly, the crucial nature of natural resource dependence far more important.  The fluidity of "allied" connections is liable to be more complex going forward, and the importance of Caucasian, European/American influence much more reduced in future.

The critical nature of strategic arrangements and of ideological solidarity is going to be much more dependant on the availability of natural resources; on access to water, and on who the most important markets are going to be.  As the 21st century economy develops, assuming there is ongoing development, the consumer markets that are mass-dominated by low cost goods will be the more important.  There may be far, far more demand for low cost appliances and for access to electricity and clean water than there will be for BMWs and other expensive consumer products.

Those material market demands may be much more important than ideological concerns about political economy, or about irrelevant religious issues that only benefit fanatical "medicine men."

In short, don't look for a reprise of the world order 1871 to 1914.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 08-Apr-2009 at 02:08
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 09:19
Hatchets are buried never destroyed. The alliances can be reformed if need be, with whom? each knows his prospective ally.
 Post Reply Post Reply