Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The largest stone carving in the world!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The largest stone carving in the world!
    Posted: 05-Apr-2009 at 08:30
Farhadtarash, a stone carving dating from the 7th century BC on Behistun, a UNESCO world heritage monument, it is 180-m long and 33-m high, the original height was about 70 meters.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2009 at 19:30
what do you mean by large & carving. do you know all those artificial caves in India?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 04:34
I said carving, not digging, those artificial caves in India are certainly not as large as 40 km long, 300 m deep ancient qanats of Iran.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 19:13
what do you mean by digging, they're carved out of massive rock, not some earthen stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_rock-cut_architecture
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 13:27

Which one do you mean? They seem to be even smaller than Achaemenid rock-cut tombs at Naqsh-i-Rustam.

Do you mean Arjuna's Penance in India?

http://travel.mapsofindia.com/travel-mahabalipuram/tourist-attractions.html : Mahabalipuram is renowned for its sculpted reliefs, rathas and the magnificent Shore Temple. Among the reliefs, Arjuna's Penance is fascinating. It is a colossal art form, 27 meters long and 9 meters high and is perhaps the world's largest sculpted bas-relief.

It means it's height is 2 meters less than the height of a gate of an Achaemenid rock-cut tomb:

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 14:00
The Achaemenid tombs look impressive, but I can't even tell what the carvings on the first picture are supposed to be. I see something is cut into the rock.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 20:02
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Which one do you mean? They seem to be even smaller than Achaemenid rock-cut tombs at Naqsh-i-Rustam.

Ajanta and Ellora in the first place, particularly Ellora...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellora_Caves
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2009 at 20:03
Temujin, those are just some cave temples, of course some of them like Kailash Temple are really large, you can compare them with those Achaemenid rock-cut tombs or rock-cut tombs of Petra in Jordan, but not Farhadtarash, I think you can't imagine how large it is.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 08:00
Some other pics of this huge ancient carving:

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 16:28
I would suggest that this is nothing more than a giant
quarry. One can see the support holds above the upper
horizontal line for the quarry workers to make their
incisions and create a reason for parts of this stone
to collapse below. Now, for the reason for them to quarry
this stone is the real question.

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply