Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can we know only what we are prepared to know?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
coberst View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can we know only what we are prepared to know?
    Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 13:37

Can we know only what we are prepared to  know?

If an individual has never learned to add and subtract that individual cannot learn how to divide and multiply. 

Our American educational system, K-12, attempts to teach minimum fundamentals that prepare an individual to function within our high tech society.  Our colleges and universities generally augment these fundamentals with some form of specialized knowledge that will make it possible for graduates to obtain good jobs. 

Few graduates from our American educational system are prepared to comprehend the very complex type of problems our society encounters.  In a democracy such as ours the citizens can choose the politicians to act as their representatives in government.  In a democracy such as ours the citizen can veto any public policy that they do not comprehend even though it might be necessary for the survival of the American culture and perhaps even of the survival of the human species.

Under such circumstances is a democratic form of government adequate? 

If not what form of government is adequate? 

Is it possible for us to educate citizens to the higher level of sophistication that is required to manage a sophisticated high tech society such as ours?

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2009 at 10:49
I've been having some very similar thoughts.
To run a good government, you need professionals from all disciplines. I don't just mean academic ones either, I also mean career teachers, farmers, and tradesmen. It is impossible for one person to have sufficient knowledge, so you must have a team.

In this regard, I think the American system of appointing ministers is superior to our [Australian] system of selecting them only from elected members with heavy intra-party politics involved. Our parliament is catastrophically devoid of technical minds for example, and over-endowed with economists, lawyers and social activists.

Under such circumstances is a democratic form of government adequate?

Adequate, yes. In fact in previous decades I think it did much better than now. However I think we could modify the system to be better. Treat running the country as a project management situation. Building teams rather than personalities.

Is it possible for us to educate citizens to the higher level of sophistication that is required to manage a sophisticated high tech society such as ours?

I don't think so. We probably have to work around it.

coberst View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote coberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2009 at 10:51

I am convinced that we cannot "see" that which we are not prepared to "see"; metaphor ‘know is see’.

It is like walking in a forest such that we are unable to see very far because the trees restrict our view.  We can use the analogy of walking in the forest, which to see beyond the surrounding trees we must have the means to climb a tall tree to see a bit further.

Perhaps we might extend the analogy to say that we must have some means to raise our self above the surrounding clutter before we can see a bit further.  Only when we find a hill with tall trees and climb one of those trees can we see the mountain ahead, which we might climb and see a mountain range in the distance, which we might travel too so that we can see even further.  But as long as we do not climb some trees we cannot see beyond the mundane appearances of our little world of trees that surround us.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 19:33
Sir coberst, you wrote; "If an individual has never learned to add and subtract that individual cannot learn how to divide and multiply."

I would argue that it is indeed possible for the above to occur, and it is already proven on this planet, via our history!

Learning to add and subtract is not an educational problem, but an obvious one! Thus, it is not "learned" in the sense of schooling, but in the eye of any beholder! And, cerainly related at the hip is division and multiplication! Split the spoils or fight for them, multiply the spoils and your share is greater, divide the meat, or multiply it! Erode consideration of one, and you might multiply the consideration you might receive?

A lot more simple examples might well be made?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply