Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Science of Morality, Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
coberst View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Science of Morality, Anyone?
    Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 17:39

Science of Morality, Anyone?

Where, in American culture, is the domain of knowledge that we would identify as morality studied and taught?

I suspect that if we do not quickly develop a science of morality that will make it possible for us to live together on this planet in a more harmonious manner our technology will help us to destroy the species and perhaps the planet soon.

It seems to me that we have given the subject matter of morality primarily over to religion.  It also seems to me that if we ask the question ‘why do humans treat one another so terribly?’ we will find the answer in this moral aspect of human culture.

The ‘man of maxims’ “is the popular representative of the minds that are guided in their moral judgment solely by general rules, thinking that these will lead them to justice by a ready-made patent method, without the trouble of exerting patience, discrimination, impartiality—without any care to assure themselves whether they have the insight that comes from a hardly-earned estimate of temptation, or from a life vivid and intense enough to have created a wide fellow-feeling with all that is human.” George Eliot The Mill on the Floss

I agree to the point of saying that we have moral instincts, i.e. we have moral emotions.  Without these moral emotions we could not function as social creatures.  These moral emotions are an act of evolution.  I would ague that the instinct for grooming that we see in monkeys is one example of this moral emotion.

We can no longer leave this important matter in the hands of the Sunday-school. Morality must become a top priority for scientific study.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 20:11
Morality has been to some extent the subject of 'scientific' (anthropological) investigation - i.e. objective observation. However the only valid conclusion seems to be that there is no universally constant or objective morality.

In any case science depends on more than objective observation; it also require testing of hypotheses in a replicable manner, something which there has only been a little of, and that at rather low levels of detail and usually restricted to local groups of culturally related people (e.g. among students at a university).

The really important thing that needs to be done is to eliminate morality as a basis for law-making and the substitution for it of concepts based on harm, especially physical harm. We have come a little way down this road of distinguishing legality from morality, but there are still far too many people around who think that things should be illegal because they are 'wrong'.  

coberst View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote coberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 21:11

Why is grooming, as displayed by monkeys, an indication of moral emotions? 

Emotions are instincts; they are something that is part of our genes.  They are part of our genetic makeup because they were necessary for the survival of the social species.  Some species are loners but some are naturally social.  The social species needed emotions that facilitated social unity.  Mutual grooming is one means for bonding between individuals and the group.

Would morals count as knowledge?  Do emotions count as knowledge?  Directly I must say that the emotion of fear is not knowledge.  The emotion leads to a feeling and the consciousness of the feeling becomes knowledge.  Morality is about relationships, i.e. certain instincts make a social group possible.  

Without social cohesion social groups cannot survive.  Reasoning about facts is a human means for survival and thriving.  The more we know and understand about relationships the better will be our lives.  In fact, because we have developed such powerful technology and thus have placed in the hands of people such power that if we do not do a better job about relationships our species cannot long survive.

Post Reply Post Reply