Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romania changing sides in WW2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romania changing sides in WW2
    Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 18:08
Originally posted by Menumorut

You have to be on the just side, not on the side of invading Germans and turning the back to the ones who supported the making of Great Romania cann't be justified by any strategical interest.

Romania was needlessly dragged into ww1 by Imperialist powers who needed more cannonfodder against the Huns. and it was overrun in the process. it was only coincidence that Romania eventually came out of this with more land than before....
Dacian View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 18:20
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Menumorut

You have to be on the just side, not on the side of invading Germans and turning the back to the ones who supported the making of Great Romania cann't be justified by any strategical interest.

Romania was needlessly dragged into ww1 by Imperialist powers who needed more cannonfodder against the Huns. and it was overrun in the process. it was only coincidence that Romania eventually came out of this with more land than before....

not exactly dragged I would say. It was a matter of choice Romania had to make. The king of german descent wanted to go with the Central Powers, the"parliament" (wasnt called like that then) wanted with the Entante (french cultural influence was still strong in Romania after the 1848 revolutions etc.)
parliament got their way and king accepted to fight against his own kind.

So I wouldn't say dragged....we just had to make a choice....given our position it is impossible to be a Switzerland.

It was the few times in history when we got it right at the world bet. We have a bad history about betting on foreign power clashes starting with Burebista/Boirebista that decided to help Pompei instead of Caesar....and it was only the beggining :D

So yeah WW1 was the few exception when we got it right..."luckily" WW2 came fast and the bet was just as usual

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 18:29
well i don't agree here, Romania was in no way threatened by the Central Powers and it could have stayed very well outside the conflict. it was Romania who aggressively attacked Austria-Hungary in Transsylvania and the Central Powers just had to retaliate. this was no self-defense.
Dacian View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 18:50
no no dont get me wrong I'm not saying we didnt attack first

I'm just saying we had to make a choice. For sure once we made the Entante choice we attacked and it was good enough for the germans to ease the pressure West a bit.

Again we started it but it was done after the dices were thrown. It was part of the agreement with the Entante to start attacking the Central Powers imediately which we did and it went ok until the germans showed up hehehe.

EDIT: to make it clear we were not on self defense
i just say we didnt get "dragged" because dragging implies coersion, force.
we decide and chosen signed on the would be benefits and obligations and acted accordingly....
first obligation we had was to attack Central Powers...the only place for that was Transilvania

Edited by Dacian - 26-Mar-2009 at 19:14
Iankutanku View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Iankutanku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 09:54
Originally posted by Dacian

1. was it betrayal
Considering the situation, with red army in Moldova, and serious revenge treat over civilians, no. Romania, practical, recognised its defeat. Let's not forget the germans attacked romanians first.

2. was it warranted as Hitler betrayed Romania first with Ribbentrop-Molotov pact?
Not only by Ribemtrop-Molotov, but also for the Viena dictate, and Craiova treaty. Yes, practicale germans were never allies, but dictators. Neverthenless, the german army behavior in Romania was excelent.

3. did it save lives (even though plenty more soldierst died on the way to Germany)?
We could say that even soldiers, because in Romania theatre, romanians would played the role the german soldiers played in Germany(die, but no surrender).

4. was it warranted just because national interest have first priority no matter what
Absolutely. What use, for a romanian leadership, if respect allies interests, if break the national supreme interests and necesities

5. was there a better option?
I doubt

6. what would fighting on and (obviously losing completely) would have achieved? (alternate history question I guess)
Nothing good for romanians, and, as we know(Yalta), probably for nobody

7. could the Focsani-Namoloasa-Galati line could have held? (I'd say 99% not but just to get more opinions on it)
I think it was posibly to held, but not more than 2-3 mopnths-then, would followed the russians revenge

Iankutanku View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Iankutanku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 10:07
Originally posted by Temujin

well i don't agree here, Romania was in no way threatened by the Central Powers and it could have stayed very well outside the conflict. it was Romania who aggressively attacked Austria-Hungary in Transsylvania and the Central Powers just had to retaliate. this was no self-defense.
It would been a treason of national interests. Is not only about the Transylvanean teritory, but, even if central powers as allies, there were clear signs that hungarians pursued to desnationalise the majoritar romanians, in the shortest time as posible, using modern and succesful methods. WWI was, practically, the last chance to prevent it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12