Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Us Victory in Vietnam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Us Victory in Vietnam?
    Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 19:59
You all are falling in a big mistake: the Tet offensive was the end of the Viet Cong offensives but not the end of the North Vietnam Army offensives, just the opposite, the NVA took the first role in the vietnamise side and not only resisted and counterattacked the invasions of Laos and Cambodia, but launched a poweful conventional attack in 1972 during the Easter Offensive, including heavy equipment like tanks. In fact, the conventional war win positions in front of the guerilla tactics after the Tet offensive so i think the original hypothesis of our friend rockgod214 is wrong in this sense.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 21:03

Originally posted by rockgod214

My arguement will be that we defeated the North Vietnamese militarily but we defeated ourselves

The US won many battles, but they lost the war. They had logistics difficulties, morale problems, and difficulty committing to a war of that much intensity for that long of a duration when they had pressing concerns elsewhere. It's like saying that the Soviets won in Afghanistan. Clearly, they did not. 

Even at the strictly military level, it is false. The Tet Offensive only marked the maturation of North Vietnamese forces into a conventional army and was hardly the last offensive they would conduct. The Easter Offensive came later, a conventional military offensive, came after - so one cannot conclude that the Tet broke the North Vietnamese, their offensives actually became more sophisticated and conventional in its aftermath.

As students in military studies are taught, war is the continuation of diplomacy by other means. It is a political activity and its objectives are political. Failure to achieve an objective is defeat, and the US certainly failed to realize its political objectives in Vietnam. It was such an overwhelming failure, that more people died in the American intervention than did in the Cambodian massacres under Pol Pot (not to mention that American intervention, and particularly its attacks on border villages, helped to propel Pol Pot to power - who was eventually toppled by none other than the North Vietnamese). The Easter Offensive was certainly costly, but it was a marginal victory for the NVA: they had gained new territory in the south (about 10% of the country was taken), and the US could not dislodge them. They began to regroup for the next offensive, and the US wisely withdrew.

The situation was completely unstable and the American position untenable. It was a decisive victory for state communism, and not just in Vietnam: the war weakened American support at the global level and state communism exploited it relentlessly in key areas such as central and south america and the middle east.

Americans like to console themselves with this myth of a "domestic" defeat (as if the home front can somehow be unrelated to the war) and it is, in essence, an American Dolchstoßlegende, almost identical to the German Dolchstoßlegende that was born (and eventually culminated in the Nazi seizure of power) when the November Revolution brought in the Weimar Republic and signed Versailles in the face of an untenable war. The theories were pretty much the same; "we've been stabbed in the back by politicians and leftists, we could have won if not for the traitors in our midst" except that the American version mostly didn't feature Jews, at least, not by the 80s (in the 70s it certainly did, eg John Birch Society etc).

No doubt, a new Dolchstoßlegende will be created in the wake of Iraq ...

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 22:57
Oh boy, here is where our views really differ.

Originally posted by edgewaters

Even at the strictly military level, it is false. The Tet Offensive only marked the maturation of North Vietnamese forces into a conventional army and was hardly the last offensive they would conduct. The Easter Offensive came later, a conventional military offensive, came after - so one cannot conclude that the Tet broke the North Vietnamese, their offensives actually became more sophisticated and conventional in its aftermath.

Tet broke the VC, leaving the NVA too carry on the fight for a couple of years til the VC could be put back together somewhat. There is still some left over hostility to the northerners for bleeding the Southern VC white.

It was such an overwhelming failure, that more people died in the American intervention than did in the Cambodian massacres under Pol Pot (not to mention that American intervention, and particularly its attacks on border villages, helped to propel Pol Pot to power - who was eventually toppled by none other than the North Vietnamese).

I am not arguing that Vietnam was not a failure of American policy, which it was. But overwhelming for who? Also, why would US forces intervene next door if they had no reason too? I mean, it's not like the VC and NVA were illegally in a neutral country using their borders (Which is international by the way...) to conduct attacks on the South ***sarcasm off***. By all accounts, the US and it's allies were perfectly within their legal bounds too pursue them across the border and destroy their Base of operations. However, the operation also required the US not too stay, while the VC and NVA felt no such compunction in setting up shop again and violating that country's neutrality again, once the US pull back was complete! Free pass!

The Easter Offensive was certainly costly, but it was a marginal victory for the NVA: they had gained new territory in the south (about 10% of the country was taken), and the US could not dislodge them. They began to regroup for the next offensive, and the US wisely withdrew.

Could not, would not or should have dislodge them. If i recall correctly, by that time the US was already pulling out and did not have enough sufficent forces to do so, as per the treaty they had signed, much less then half Were still there, IIRC, but they did still have their airpower which counted for alot! Somebody was living up to their words and promises, and it sure wasn't the communists! Another free pass!

The situation was completely unstable and the American position untenable. It was a decisive victory for state communism, and not just in Vietnam: the war weakened American support at the global level and state communism exploited it relentlessly in key areas such as central and south america and the middle east.

I agree, it appears to have been unstable and untenable when it all started in the first place. As valuable as the American viewpoints are to the recorded history of the war, it is only a part of the recollection of that tragic war. We have heard very little from the South Vietnamese perspective, and what ever we have heard has either been discounted as being stooges to American imperialism or thousands of others who had disappeared into re-education camps too either come out with different perspectives or too simply never come out of them at all! As far as the Northern viewpoint ais concerned, they won their objectives, so they are right too gloat til their hearts are content! American aggressive imperialism was defeated you know... So they can write their version of the history for their public's consumption, with Westerner's having very little idea of their views so far, other than what we have assumed so far. Also, what about the allies who fought alongside their US counterparts. Like Canada, Australia, South Korea and a few others? It effected them as well, albeit in different ways. It's not quite so surprising that that war is still so confusing to this day!

Americans like to console themselves with this myth of a "domestic" defeat (as if the home front can somehow be unrelated to the war) and it is, in essence, an American Dolchstoßlegende, almost identical to the German Dolchstoßlegende that was born (and eventually culminated in the Nazi seizure of power) when the November Revolution brought in the Weimar Republic and signed Versailles in the face of an untenable war. The theories were pretty much the same; "we've been stabbed in the back by politicians and leftists, we could have won if not for the traitors in our midst" except that the American version mostly didn't feature Jews, at least, not by the 80s (in the 70s it certainly did, eg John Birch Society etc).

I guess that explains why everyone with a voice is running around calling the very different  views from theirs, in regards to that war, as evil fascists? Terrific! 

No doubt, a new Dolchstoßlegende will be created in the wake of Iraq ...

That remains to be seen? Personally, i really don't want too see Iraqis suffer anymore than they already have. I am really hoping they succeed in ruling themselves!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 01:02
Originally posted by Panther

Personally, i really don't want too see Iraqis suffer anymore than they already have. I am really hoping they succeed in ruling themselves!

What you probably mean is, you are hoping a US-friendly regime takes power in Iraq - which is seriously unlikely. The current regime is unstable precisely because it is too amenable to American interests. What will you say when an anti-American regime takes power in Iraq and restores order?

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 02:10
Originally posted by edgewaters

Personally, i really don't want too see Iraqis suffer anymore than they already have. I am really hoping they succeed in ruling themselves!

What you probably mean is, you are hoping a US-friendly regime takes power in Iraq - which is seriously unlikely.

No, i meant it exactly as i said it. Besides, aren't we dismissing their intelligence in governing themselves a little bit too early?

The current regime is unstable precisely because it is too amenable to American interests.

Give it time. Pretty soon, while we are there, they are going too start dictating too us on what will and what won't be allowed to go within their borders, as it should be to any guest in any country. That ought to sound very familiar too others here?

What will you say when an anti-American regime takes power in Iraq and restores order?

Que Sera, Sera. If that happens, then in the very least, it can't be said that they did not have their chance, only too have lost it.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 10:35
Claiming the US won in Vietnam is like claiming Hannibal won in Italy, Germany won at Jutland and the British won in Afghanistan in the 19th century.

You don't win wars by totting up points scored.

As to why the US lost, 
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 19:10
From the product description:

"This landmark work, based on Frances FitzGerald's own research and travels, takes us inside Vietnam-into the traditional, ancestor-worshiping villages and the corrupt crowded cities, into the conflicts between Communists and anti-Communists, Catholics and Buddhists, generals and monks -and reveals the country as seen through Vietnamese eyes. With a clarity and authority unrivaled by any book before it or since, Fire in the Lake shows how America utterly and tragically misinterpreted the realities of Vietnam."

Sounds like one of those excellent, rare books on Vietnam. Thanks for the link gcle.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 19:22
Vietnam won!
No matter for each American, 40 Vietnamese died. And was a great victory for that people, considered they were fighting against the richest and more powerful country on the planet.
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 21:22
Us lost. But hollywood didn't miss the thing, they created rambo xD
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 00:32
Originally posted by MythTR

Us lost. But hollywood didn't miss the thing, they created rambo xD
I hope that's a joke.  If it's not you should watch Rambo (real name First Blood) again because that movie is not about Vietnam, it's about the treatment of vets when they come back from Vietnam.  Better Hollywood representations of Vietnam would be Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, and Platoon.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 04:55
No offense intended towards you King John, but i absolutely hate Apocalypse Now and Platoon. Both of them are half conspiracy theory and half vehicles for their stars ego's. Though i am partial to Full Metal Jacket. R. Lee Emery's role is arguably the best part of the movie. Other than FMJ being enjoyable too watch, for a more accurate representation of war movies of 50-60's era (Korea or Vietnam), as far as i am concerned, Hamburger Hill is hard too beat. I've also heard very, very good reviews for "We Were Soldiers". Pity i have not had the chance too see that one yet!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 05:16
While those movies are good, I mentioned Apocalypse Now, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket because all three came out with in 5 years of First Blood not because I think they are great movies (and I do).  I also chose them because they are actually about Vietnam and not some vet going bananas in some small town in Colorado.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 05:50

And most importantly, Ho may have been a communist, but he was first and foremost a Nationalist with a capital N. He and his country only merely tolerated communist help, but he had no love for his two giant neighbors to the north.

That's true. Ho Chi Min only became communist to enlist the support of China & Russia after he found himself fighting the new 'capitalists' (France). The world aligned around Ho while he was fighting a nationalist fight. A communist by accident.

In 1945 he declared Vietnam communist, then after a negotiations with the Nationalist Chinese, dissolved the communist party and made his state Democratic. Chiang Kai-Shek then turned Chinese influence over to France, and Stalin recognised Vietnam, so he became Communist again.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 21:19
Originally posted by King John

While those movies are good, I mentioned Apocalypse Now, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket because all three came out with in 5 years of First Blood not because I think they are great movies (and I do).  I also chose them because they are actually about Vietnam and not some vet going bananas in some small town in Colorado.

The point of the Rambo series (A vehicle for it's star also, i might add.), wasn't just to point out a SF vet going nuts in some US town. It was a reaction to the perceived treatment of vets from Vietnam by the general public. It served too highlight a problem and not meant to be seen as a problematic feature of the participants from the war. Missing in actions series was kind of used in the same way, too highlight any possible POW's left behind! Platoon and Apocalypse Now were the polar opposites of the other two mentioned above, highlighting US soldiers behaving badly in a time of war.

Most movies like those mentioned above are meant to convey a message while "trying to be" entertaining. Regretfully in time and aside from one or two movies here and there, i found myself getting more enjoyment and entertainment out of the "Terminator" series, then any Hollywood historical/war movie that has been put out in the last forty years!
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 21:38
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

And most importantly, Ho may have been a communist, but he was first and foremost a Nationalist with a capital N. He and his country only merely tolerated communist help, but he had no love for his two giant neighbors to the north.

That's true. Ho Chi Min only became communist to enlist the support of China & Russia after he found himself fighting the new 'capitalists' (France). The world aligned around Ho while he was fighting a nationalist fight. A communist by accident.

In 1945 he declared Vietnam communist, then after a negotiations with the Nationalist Chinese, dissolved the communist party and made his state Democratic. Chiang Kai-Shek then turned Chinese influence over to France, and Stalin recognised Vietnam, so he became Communist again.

It seems Ho also tried to get President Wilson's support back in the closing days of the Great War/WW 1, to no avail. I guess by the end of the SE Asian/Pacific War he came across as pathetically desperate by the world powers, to get any recognition from anyone, for them too have not taken his Nationalism seriously until it was to late too avert disaster from the 50's through til the mid 70's? By that time, i think he knew he was just a mere tool for the communist until his death. I guess in his mind, his country was going to finally be united, if not under his rule, then atleast under his belief's.

Edited by Panther - 21-Mar-2009 at 21:45
truth of the matter View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote truth of the matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2009 at 21:07
the question of who won or at least came out ahead has been a long one. i think it's important to understand first and foremost the fact that vietnam was a proxy war in a much bigger war,...communism. america had the c.i.a. and different covert ops in vietnam before the war began. the fact that it in some words was never to be really one only sustained. what a better question might be is what were casualties on each side, who spent more on defense and who was hurt the most in the end. the u.s. spents big budgets on this war and many americans died as well as vietnamese. the viet cong style of guerilla warfare was brutal on american forces. more heed should of been seen on what had happen with the french who were governing occupants in the vietnam territory. when you look at all this and the negative image of this war i would say it hurt the u.s. more than vietnam, considering we had many more wars to fight before the end of the cold war{thanks gorbichev!haha}the truth is like kennedy said it could have been avoided jfk and lbj both think i knew soon enough that the war could be a bigger fiasco than predicted.
m.d.h.m.
Singidunum View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Singidunum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2009 at 13:49
I think that everybody who participate in this discussion should watch this movie. It's called Hearts and Minds and it won Academy award in 1974 for best documentary.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8502739857306070849
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2009 at 16:46
Call it a draw.

The Vietnam War wasn't really about holding territory for the Americans, it was about demonstrating to the Soviets Americas' willingness to defend itself. During the Cuban missile crisis a few years before the two super-powers came very close to all out warfare and under the MAD doctrine that would have meant near total destruction. Nuclear armed Soviet subs would have fired on US naval vessels manning the Quarantine if they had been attacked while trying to escort merchant vessels carrying Soviet military equipment which almost occured.

The tensions between the two powers persisted after the showdown and had to have some outlet and the Vietnamese conflict presented itself to both sides. Men like Curtis Lemay on the US side and his contemporaries in the Soviet military didn't get to launch their massive attacks, just millions of Vietnamese and thousands of US and allied troops died. The Vietnamese did eventually get their country back and WW III didn't happen.

A draw.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2009 at 16:59

Vietnam war was just an injust war americans shouldn't have intervined in the first place. Americans should have left French to be defeated alone. Americans lost the war, but the cost was cheap: 50.000 dead soldiers. In comparison, Vietnamese lost 2 million people, and there are still kids born deformed there thanks to the orange agent.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2009 at 17:07
Hindsight is 20/20, at the time people didn't know that the world wouldn't be going up in flames in the near future, and the survival imperative is pretty strong for most people.  Having Soviet IRBMs based 80 miles and 5 minutes flight time from Washington by a Soviet Empire that never did demobilize after WW II and showed every sign of willingness to confront western interests globally tended to radicalize a nation that had a long history of isolationism.

Go ahead and lay all the blame on one side, but you're missing out on the real story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>