Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Programming?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer Programming?
    Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 21:52
After highschool i plan on going to college for computer engineering. I love the hardware aspect and i excel in it but i completly hate programming and i am bad at it. Does computer engineering involve alot of programming?
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 22:57
Depends on the speciality you choose. If you hate programming you certainly should avoid Computer science or Computer engineering. In Electronical engineering there are specialities. If you go for computer design, digital control, data communications and digital electronics, you will certainly find some forms of programming once again.
If you want to be a pure electrical or electronic engineer you can choose power production and transmission, and also analog electronics. There you won't find any programming, but you will use software for calculations anyways, I am afraid.

In short, you won't scape programming. However, you will go more into hardware if you go into electronics rather than computer engineering.

Edited by pinguin - 14-Mar-2009 at 23:00
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 00:29
I'm in my final year of a similar degree.

Basically, anywhere you find a computer you find programming. I think rather than avoiding it you should learn to at least be competent in it, its a huge asset. Even in digital electronics now you have to program after a fashion (write VHDL & Verilog for FPGAs)

If you really want to avoid programming, then your options are Power Electronics or Electronic Materials. You can go through Telecommunications without any serious programming, just with serious maths. But really in all Engineering fields you'll use simulation & mathematics programs like Spice, MATLAB, and Maple, which are often basically the same as programming anyway.

So I agree with Penguin: You can't escape programming. But once you can program your computer becomes a million times more useful than it was before you could. Even in Excel nowadays I just write a Macro to avoid doing repetitive work.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 15-Mar-2009 at 00:29
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 00:46
That's true. All specialities use some programming. However, computing focus on programming!

If he goes for computer science or computer engineering, he won't only have to learn programming, but also compilers, software engineering, algorithms, operating systems, logic (many kinds), artificial intelligence, data structures, data base architecture, OOP, computer science theory and even mathematics of computability! I bet that would make him crazy!

Edited by pinguin - 15-Mar-2009 at 00:48
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 04:06
The future looks grim. Godam i just wanted to be one of those computer repair technicians but with all this programming involved i might take a double glance at what i am aiming at. Math>Programming for me anyday and i hate math lol.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 04:11
I think maybe i hate programming so much because of the ridiculous difficulty the problem sets are that my teacher is giving out. The course is called intro to Programming yet the only people not doing as bad as me or doing well in the class have done a programming class before. So it seems as though its geared towards people who have done this stuff before. We are programming in Visual Basic by the way. this is what i am doing so far http://doyle.wcdsb.ca/ICS3MI/problemSets/repetition.htm the dice roll question kicked my ass it was only with heavy help with the teacher i maniged to finish it on my own.

Edited by Husaria - 15-Mar-2009 at 04:12
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 10:55
If you dont like programming... do not take computer engineering or computer science.. as what pinguin said.
I took computer science during my Diploma and for my Bachelor degree I decided to step away from tht course as i was not a fan of Obj Oriented Prog nor computer network and so on..
My major was Business Computing. I still had to learn some of the programming subs but not in depth. It was more interesting as we can learn on implementing computer technology for business purpose.
Anyway.. if you are so interested on computer hardware.. no other choice..  Tongue  get yourself use to prog lang..

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 12:25
Computer hardware is an interesting field, for that we must study Electronic Engineering, but we must be aware that ELECTRONICS is mainly two topics in one. The first topic is analog electronics, the second it is digital electronics.

Analog electronics is classical, and in there you will study circuits' calculus and analysis, Fourier analysis to study the response of circuits, and things like how to calculate the power of an amplifier and the frequency on a circuit. That's a beautiful field of study that complements advanced mathematics with technology.

However, right besides it you have digital electronics, that basically is building circuits with black boxes and finite automatons. There you will learn how to build a CPU and a computer memory, and on it you will have to understand some programming, and programming like things. For instance, a CPU has an internal low level program in very low language that coordinate the actions. With data communications it is the same, there communications protocols and the internal functions of devices like switches and routers, are controlled by programming.

Edited by pinguin - 15-Mar-2009 at 12:27
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 10:20
The future looks grim. Godam i just wanted to be one of those computer repair technicians but with all this programming involved i might take a double glance at what i am aiming at. Math>Programming for me anyday and i hate math lol.

Do you mean a technician or Engineer? You can easily be a technician without programming, you don't need a University degree for it either. But you'll get paid alot less than an Engineer, and the work isn't half as interesting.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 11:53

When ever you hear the word 'Computer' you shall get it straight that it's to do with computing and computing for sure is to do with maths, so the first think that you will require the most (if you want to get to the computers field) is to have a good grip on maths as with out maths it's impossible to deal with computers.

And if you want to be a technician, as Omar told you that you don't require any programming or advance maths, all you require is to know exactly about the parts that are used to make a computer work. I know a lot of people who even haven't yet finished their 12 grades of school and are doing magic with computers (as a technician).

On the other hand I would like to advice you to step in forward and face the difficulty of programming for a month or so and once you get the basics then it won't be anything but a piece of cake as all of them will just look to you as a simple english language, at least that's what happened to me.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 14:50
Hello Husaria

Studying Computing without programing is like learning how to fly without actually taking off.

Several years ago before simulators became graphically based (because computers weak processing abilities compared with new ones) students had to learn programming even in majors that has no relation whatsoever with computers. Mechanical engineers had to learn programming so that they can use simulators like MATLAB and AUTOCAD. So there is no escape from programming.

You can try computer networking. They involve some programming but not as complex as computer engineering plus there is only one company that actually is the standard in computer networks (Cisco systems) and learning about their networks is enough to get you a good job anywhere you want.

Al-Jassas
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 15:53
I think you hate programming because you cann't program well. It needs much effort to become a skilled programmer but once you reach the needed level you find real satisfaction in your work (this is from programmers' confessions). It's a psychological barrier when learning computer softs or programming languages and even you have the best teachers and learning sources, without effort you cann't reach to become a relaxed professional.

And take in consideration that the market is more and more crowded, there are more and more programmers, designers etc so you should orient yourself toward something that gives you advantages being a narrow niche.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 16:00
Cisco??? Oh my god... terrible... Apart from programming.. my worst nightmare is computer networking subject... LOL .. The OSI model on the 7 layers and network protocols .Dead.. I am glad I took business computing as my major.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Do you mean a technician or Engineer? You can easily be a technician without programming, you don't need a University degree for it either. But you'll get paid alot less than an Engineer, and the work isn't half as interesting.

I meant technician, the confusion probably came from the fact that i said college, in Canada there is college for trades people. Yeah i realize i will be getting paid alot less but i am not one of those people who is suited for university. I wouldn't be able to stand it or afford it.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 19:14
Kind of off topic but, i think someone is messing with my computer, there are no programs running at all(this is start up of computer) and some random English soccer commentators are talking through my speakers and it stops when i unplug my internet connection. WTF?
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 01:59
Apparently i picked up a radio am signal somehow. Any clues to how that happened?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 02:54
Ask an electronic engineer. I bet you are getting an accopled signal and using your computer as a radio tunner.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 06:54
Speaking of strange events, a friend of mine (who is an Engineer) was using a Sunbeam electric frying pan a couple of weeks ago, shortly after turning it on it arced from where it was sitting on one side of the kitchen, to the telephone on the other - a distance of about 3-5 metres.

Theoretically, that's impossible. We calculated it'd need at least 100kV of potential, and it bypassed the electric earth, the cold water tap, and half a dozen other metal objects that were much closer to hit the phone
 Post Reply Post Reply