Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman Army?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman Army?
    Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 01:39
I was wondering, what was the size of the Ottoman Army in the medieval ages?

Or in general, throughout the history.

I am referring to the numeral strength.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 03:01
Moved to questions and answers
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 13:04

Let us give some examples.

During the 15th century

- Jannisaries 4-5000
- Kapıkulu sipahis 2-3000
- Tımarlı sipahis 20-30000
- Azap- Akıncıs 10-20000

16th century

- Jannisaries 10-12000(till 1560-70`s) in the last quarter of this century the numbers had raised to 30000
- Kapıkulu sipahis 6-7000
- Tımarlı sipahis 70-80000
-Azaps-akncıs 30-40000

Ottoman millitary system had faced a transformation during the second half of 16th century and this change continued through the 17th century. These changes were;

- The rise of the jannisary numbers
- Hiring of Anatolian and Rumelian peasants as soldiers
- Declinig of the devshirme system
- Falling significance of the tımarlı sipahis

The  gunpowder revolution in Europe and the effective infantry formation with musketeers forced ottomans to adapt a infantry warfare in the late 16th century. The first response was to increase the jannisaries in the ottoman army( musketeers). Because of the rapid hiring the devshirme system started to decay and after the second half of the 17th century it vanished. Another reality was the availibility of fire arms after the first half of the 16th century in the ottoman empire. The demographic crisis in the ottoman empire formed a landless and vagrant peasant population. They bought firearms and started to ravage the countryside. The ottomans first reacted but after they started to hire these semiprofesional musketeers and they formed an important element in the ottoman army.

The jannisary numbers continued to rise during the 17th century and its number reached to 100000`s, however the effective jannisary troops for the ottoman was much more lower than this number. The declinig in the tımarlı sipahis continued nad as I said the musketeer demand was tried to meet by this armed peasant pool 

Edited by Evrenosgazi - 15-Mar-2009 at 13:15
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 15:50
When we consider the field army numbers we can estimate lower numbers. Prominent ottoman historians like rhoads murphy and andrew wheatcroft consider the field numbers in the 16th century between 50-70000 soldiers. These numbers decrease according to the commander of the army. If the sadrazam(primeminister) commands the army these numbers could be estimated by half of the sultans army.  The provincal armies were 5-10000 I think. Ottomans mustered larger armies than their european counterparts because of their advanced and central millitary system. When a sultan give start to a campaign 10-15000 soldier was ready at their capital , after the provincal soldiers assemble and joined to the army according to the target state. Th logistics were better and ottomans were preparing the provision of their campaign before the movement of the army. After the 16th century millitary revolution( maybe a debate could made about the millitary revolutions initial century) the europeans started to muster larger and more profesional  armies than before.

If we consider the elite soldiers we must count the kapıkulu army. In addition the tımarlı sipahis were also trained and fine soldiers at the era.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 15:05
Didn't the Ottomans muster a huge Army of 100,000 during the Siege of Belgrade (15th century)?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 21:43
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Didn't the Ottomans muster a huge Army of 100,000 during the Siege of Belgrade (15th century)?
The number 100000 was impossible for a medieval army. A lot of factor had a role on this fact;

- The infrastructue
- Population
- State efficiency
- Funds
- Logistics

The possible population of the muslim population in 1456 was 3 million( Most of anatolia was occupied by other nations). Ottomans population was not enough for such large armies. First of all ottoman army was not a conscript , national army and a horde. Its millitary traditions  origin is from medieval Islamic states( slave soldiers and tımar-ikta). The occupant of the army was well known.  A man from reaya( common people) could not pass to the askeri so easily. This avoided the common man from being the permanent man in the army until the late 16th century.

The army numbers are pride reasons for all of the nations in the world. I am sure that all  of us listened heroic stories about how their nations had bravely fought against the numerous invader. This army and casualty exxagration is in a peak in ottoman history. The aim is to create a reson for defeat and avenge this defeat by making up casualties. My opinion an army about 30-40000 will be reasonable for Belgrade war(1456). But the advanced millitary structure and a powerful millitary tradition made possible for ottomans to muster larger and more efficient armies than their european counterparts for centuries. The 80000 ottoman soldier for the 1683 Vienna expedition was a record for the classical ottoman history.
tigloon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tigloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 05:30

When we take a look at the war history, we mostly see that better technics and tactics are better than having a lot of soldiers.If well organisation is completed with tech and tactics, that mostly brings victory(Most not forget the effects of national or religious beliefts). When we take a quick look at the Ottoman army, the soldiers gears were not as heavy as med-European soldiers, bombard artillery were the best (15th century) and the sipahis gave a very powerful mobile archer fire with very little looses. As an example and as I know the very best Janissaries were between 30-40, their numbers were less but their job was being soldiers so that they were very powerful.

'Peace at home, Peace in the world' Gazi M. Kemal ATATÜRK
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

The army numbers are pride reasons for all of the nations in the world. I am sure that all  of us listened heroic stories about how their nations had bravely fought against the numerous invader. This army and casualty exxagration is in a peak in ottoman history. The aim is to create a reson for defeat and avenge this defeat by making up casualties. My opinion an army about 30-40000 will be reasonable for Belgrade war(1456). But the advanced millitary structure and a powerful millitary tradition made possible for ottomans to muster larger and more efficient armies than their european counterparts for centuries. The 80000 ottoman soldier for the 1683 Vienna expedition was a record for the classical ottoman history.

I agree, 100k is ridiculous. Nevertheless the wiki article uses that number, while the Hungarian army is said to be 57k including Serbs and crusaders, which is just as ridiculous for a feudal state like Hungary. Ottoman casualties are given at astronomically 75k dead, the Hungarian+allies dead at 10k. If I were to make a rough estimate based on what I know of medieval warfare, I'd say cutting all these numbers in half would bring us closer to the truth.

If you look at other battles of the same period and arena, you find the battle of Vaslui  is also exaggerated beyond belief with an Ottoman army at between 60-80k and a Moldavian force of around 40k. Ottoman casualties are given at 40k, another astronomical figure. The battle of Breadfield seems to have been more honestly recorded and may perhaps be seen as a measuring stick for the other battles, with 12-15k on the Hungarian side and around 20k Ottomans, a few thousand casualties on each side.

All the battles mentioned here were Ottoman defeats. Even so the Hungarian-Ottoman wars were in the end won by the Ottomans, who unlike their opponents could afford to lose battles without losing the war due to the organisation and resources of their military.
tigloon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tigloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 13:20
And also we need to add the facts of the ideas being Gazi 'Ghazi' or Şehit 'Shahid' after the war.In islamic belieft being şehit is the best reputation.
'Peace at home, Peace in the world' Gazi M. Kemal ATATÜRK
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 14:23
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

I agree, 100k is ridiculous. Nevertheless the wiki article uses that number, while the Hungarian army is said to be 57k including Serbs and crusaders, which is just as ridiculous for a feudal state like Hungary. Ottoman casualties are given at astronomically 75k dead, the Hungarian+allies dead at 10k. If I were to make a rough estimate based on what I know of medieval warfare, I'd say cutting all these numbers in half would bring us closer to the truth.

If you look at other battles of the same period and arena, you find the battle of Vaslui  is also exaggerated beyond belief with an Ottoman army at between 60-80k and a Moldavian force of around 40k. Ottoman casualties are given at 40k, another astronomical figure. The battle of Breadfield seems to have been more honestly recorded and may perhaps be seen as a measuring stick for the other battles, with 12-15k on the Hungarian side and around 20k Ottomans, a few thousand casualties on each side.

All the battles mentioned here were Ottoman defeats. Even so the Hungarian-Ottoman wars were in the end won by the Ottomans, who unlike their opponents could afford to lose battles without losing the war due to the organisation and resources of their military.
You are right. The medieval hungarian state can not afford armies even in 30k. The reason is not about the power of the state. The medieval state structure did not permit a kind of large army. Let us think the battle of Nicopolis. The modern estimates of each army was 15k approximately. The battle of Ankara(1402) the timurids and ottomans had 20-25 k soldier. The field of the war was not that large to carry that large armies. I think that in the 14-15th centuries an army with 10k troop was a quite large army. Casualties like 20-30k is impossible. The medieval weapons was not that lethal. A state which lost even 10k soldier in a battlefield can not fight afterwards efficiently even after years(Even the ottomans).
 Post Reply Post Reply