Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IRA Attacks In N.Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IRA Attacks In N.Ireland
    Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:04

Then according to your own twisted logic the Palestinians never made a terror attack since every Israeli jew (man or woman) is either a reservist on active duty or will be in active duty or was on active duty. So all are soldiers and thus are legal targets for suicide attacks.

Al-Jassas
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:05
Originally posted by Temujin

]

occupation troops in foreign countries can also be off duty...

the point is there is a clear-cut definition of terrorism, and by using this word you instrumentalize it for your own political agenda if used inaccuartely. some groups instrumentalize the word genocide for their own agendas but what prevents us from calling every war in history as genocide? same goes for terrorism. terrorism can most certainly not applied for each and every case of murder/assassination. as i understand, from the point of view of the perpetrators, the guys in question were occupation troops. furthermore, from what i can see, in both instances the targets were carefully selected and not randomly targeted as would be the case with terrorism.

You deliberately ignored the rest of my post. Two pizza delivery guys were shot with the intention of murder. Over 60 shots were fired, including on those as they lay on the ground. I don't wish to jump on the 'terrorism' bandwagon, far from it, but I merely state that the behaviour of these people was that of a terrorist, what else is it - domestic feud?. Any political agenda I may have is irrelevant.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:09
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Then according to your own twisted logic the Palestinians never made a terror attack since every Israeli jew (man or woman) is either a reservist on active duty or will be in active duty or was on active duty. So all are soldiers and thus are legal targets for suicide attacks.

Al-Jassas

that's not "twisted logic". soldiers being off duty even deep in foreign coutnries is a fact. and opposed to your logic, not everyone who ever served in the military once is a soldier forever. obviously people are not born soldiers. THAT would be "twisted logic"
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:10

Actually I am with Paul on the Irish descent thing. I mean most people who claim to be Irish have English, Welsh or scottish surnames including the famed Mr. Gerry Adams. Ireland has been under direct or indirect control from English and Viking (ie Germanic nations) since the 11th century AD.

AL-Jassas
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:12
SO are Palestinian suicide attacks are legitimate?

This is a yes or no question by the way.

Al-Jassas
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:15
Originally posted by Dolphin

You deliberately ignored the rest of my post. Two pizza delivery guys were shot with the intention of murder. Over 60 shots were fired, including on those as they lay on the ground. I don't wish to jump on the 'terrorism' bandwagon, far from it, but I merely state that the behaviour of these people was that of a terrorist, what else is it - domestic feud?. Any political agenda I may have is irrelevant.

it wasn't deliaberate, i didn't knew there were pizza delivery guys invovled until you brought it up, i only got pissed by Spartakus' thoughtless mention of "terroirsm" which seemed inehrently out of context here. i just wanted to make a point regarding the nomenclature of the word terrorism in general.

yet, combing back to my cheesy argumentation, the Marquis also shot "collaborators" and whetaher they actually were collaborators or not, no court ever judged. such matters are always difficult. and we could stills ay it was collateral damage. one of the major indications for terrorim is, terrorists usually target locations (as opposed to individuals).
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:18
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Actually I am with Paul on the Irish descent thing. I mean most people who claim to be Irish have English, Welsh or scottish surnames including the famed Mr. Gerry Adams. Ireland has been under direct or indirect control from English and Viking (ie Germanic nations) since the 11th century AD.

AL-Jassas

What does it matter anyway? That is the real question. It only becomes an issue if you make it so.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:19
as a moderator, i should mention that we should come back to the topic now perhaps... Embarrassed

but before that,
Originally posted by Paul

Haven't you heard of WWII all you ultranationalists surrender in the end.

that would include you as well... Tongue
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:36
Originally posted by Temujin

Paul's not a moderator unless you refer to me... 

Temujin I've refered to you as many things over the years, but never moderate.LOL
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:45
I don't know which is more depressing, the sad news this thread was meant too highlight, or some of the comments within it?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 19:45
how you dare making fun of Oscar Wilde anyways you savage... Tongue so you're a proponent of Beardsley or not?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:09
Peter? Nope never a toon fan
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:18
Originally posted by Paul

Peter? Nope never a toon fan

English proove again that they have no culture other than football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_Beardsley Wink
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:22
The question of representation rears its head here. If this group has no support, is it terrorist or merely criminal?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:26
out of my belly, i would say it was criminal. you could actually argue that terrorism has at least minority representation, criminality has never popular support.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:31
Originally posted by Panther

I don't know which is more depressing, the sad news this thread was meant too highlight, or some of the comments within it?

Clap

Well said Panther.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:32
Is terrorism in the eyes of the perpetrator or in the eyes of the victim? No doubt they consider themselves terrorists, but should their 'cause' be unrepresentative, it might be more useful to call them criminals, and not value their action with the term 'terrorist', if that be possible.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 20:50
Originally posted by Dolphin

Is terrorism in the eyes of the perpetrator or in the eyes of the victim? No doubt they consider themselves terrorists, but should their 'cause' be unrepresentative, it might be more useful to call them criminals, and not value their action with the term 'terrorist', if that be possible.

both i would say. of course that doesn't always works out perfectly. the problem is much deeper, i mean the Vietcong also had suicide bombers and perhaps they would be considdered a terrorist organization today?
by analyzing the word, what does 'terror' imply? groupings that resort to terror-tactics target civilian groups with it, they also need a certain randomness about it, they want to create the image that it can happen anytime to anyone, this is the very definition of terrorism = people living in constant fear.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 05:11
Locked for 24 hours. I'm sure I don't need to explain why, needless to say we are reviewing this thread in the mods room.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 01:10
Unlocked with a lot of posts hidden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123