Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VASIMR: The project of Chang-Diaz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VASIMR: The project of Chang-Diaz
    Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 14:07
Franklin Chang-Diaz dream:

Franklin Chang-Diaz is a very special person, who syntetized in himself the history of the Western Hemisphere. He also is the inventor of the VASIMR rocket, which is the future of rockets in space.

Chang-Diaz is a Latin American who also had the American nationality. More precisely, he is an Costa Rican of East Asian and Hispanic ancestry, from where the "Chang" and the "Diaz" come from.  He is of Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Amerindian background, but identifies with his beloved Costa Rica, his land.

He is a national heroe in Costa Rica, and probably the most outstanding figure in science and engineering that has produced the region in the last years.

Mr. Chang-Diaz is an astronaut, who hold the record of travels to space with seven trips, but also he is a researcher of plasma rockets; a new kind of rockets that could one day sent people to Mars in a couple of months, instead of years.

He is developing the plasma rocket called VASIMR, which is going to be tested in the following years. For that he has his own company working on the topic in his native Coasta Rica.

I wish you get interested in the topic so we could develop more about his work. For now, videos and pictures.

on VASIMR rockets:

On Franklin Chang-Diaz

File:Chang-Diaz.jpg

Ad Astra Costa Rica (Chang-Diaz's company)

Chang-Diaz, Costa Rican president and reporters:

Videos:

feiying View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote feiying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 07:42
Nice.

I really envy the Chinese who immigrated to Latin America.  They mix and assimilate real fast, usually by the 2nd generation.  Mexico, Cuba, Peru, Costa Rica, Panama, etc. I cannot find a pure Chinese no more.

In the USA, you sometimes find Chinese-Americans and Japanese-Americans who are still pure in the 4th generation.  The racism does not allow them to mix and assimilate in USA.  Although they are now allowing the Asian women to mix, the Asian men are still withheld this opportunity.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 00:10
You made me think all day long why Latin Americans have received Chinese, Japanese and other East Asians with the open arms, and integrate them to local culture.
I believe the reasons are simple to see.
The first reason is that Latin American males find East Asian women attractive, so intermarriage has been common. However, unlike in the U.S., Latin American women also find Asian males interesting because they are perceive as responsable and good parents.
But there is a third reason that may sound strange for such different cultures and it is the following: Both Latin American and Chinese culture have put the family in the certer of life.
And finally, Latinos are a curious people that feel attracted to Chinese culture, and if so, they are willing to integrate East Asians to theirs social circles.
That's why, I believe, assimilation has been easy.

feiying View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote feiying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 07:12
Some of it is media influence and social conditioning too.  At my workplace last week, we had a weekend softball game.  One of the Vietnamese male coworker hit a homerun over the fences and some of the Mexican girls clap and cheer for him, but the American white women did not even look at him.  I realized immediately that some cultures have stronger prejudice than some.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 07:17
Originally posted by feiying

I realized immediately that some cultures have stronger prejudice than some.

It prevails often than not,racism now comes in " subtle " forms in America.

feiying View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote feiying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 07:25
^True.  In some regions, such as the Pacific west coast (esp. CA) it is even more subtle compared to the east coast.

By far the worst racism is one from within, such as the Asian women hating on Asian men.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 08:14
What you say could be true, but I give you two some sound advice: try not to live with a chip on the shoulder towards anyone; because it would only make things worse.

I had a childhood friend who was "mulatto" (half-black half white). He was very inteligent, very sporty, and was extremely popular at school. Nevertheless, the only problem he had was not his skin colour, but his inferiority complex towards it.
He probably had a lot more success with girls than many white guys, and also greater success in job interviews; but if anyone ever turned him down; his first reaction was "It's because of my skin colour...." when in reality it could have been anything.
He ended up developing a very bitter attitude, and that actually made people reject him even more; but his argument was always: "I've done everything to assimilate, but society always sees me as a foreigner...."
He even got as far as despising his own father for having given him African blood!

The truth is; everyone faces some degree of rejection: for being fat, for being skinny, being short, being bald, too hairy or having too less hair; stammering, limping, having blond hair in a country whose majority are dark, and the other way around....

Yet if you see yourself as belonging to a disadvantaged group; YOU WILL BE DISADVANTAGED.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 12:02
Well, to  be honest, in Hispanic America at least, people accept well East Asians, Arabs and Amerindians, but Black people (either Africans or from India) could suffer as much discrimination here as in the United States.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 16:30
Originally posted by calvo

I had a childhood friend who was "mulatto" (half-black half white). He was very inteligent, very sporty, and was extremely popular at school. Nevertheless, the only problem he had was not his skin colour, but his inferiority complex towards it.
He probably had a lot more success with girls than many white guys, and also greater success in job interviews; but if anyone ever turned him down; his first reaction was "It's because of my skin colour...." when in reality it could have been anything.
He ended up developing a very bitter attitude, and that actually made people reject him even more; but his argument was always: "I've done everything to assimilate, but society always sees me as a foreigner...."
He even got as far as despising his own father for having given him African blood!

They call that, "external locus of control"

feiying View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote feiying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 07:04
What I am saying is true.

A Chinese man talking a socializing with a Mexican woman in Mexico is seen as something out of the ordinary but still acceptable.  A Chinese man talking and chatting with a white woman in public in certain parts of the USA is sometimes still seen as something taboo or as if he committed a crime.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 07:48

A Chinese man talking and chatting with a white woman in public in certain parts of the USA is sometimes still seen as something taboo or as if he committed a crime.

I don't know where you presently reside in the USA,but what you wrote in this post is over-stretched.There are some small towns ( even in California ! ) populated by " rednecks " basically don't like people not their kind.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 07:50

What I am saying is true.

A Chinese man talking a socializing with a Mexican woman in Mexico is seen as something out of the ordinary but still acceptable.  A Chinese man talking and chatting with a white woman in public in certain parts of the USA is sometimes still seen as something taboo or as if he committed a crime.

I'm not American to be making any comments, but I think you are exagerating a little.
I've known many Americans in Madrid and in London, and I've come across several couples of Asian male, white female; and they never commented anything about it not being accepted by society. When I visited California I also saw many examples as such on the streets and most people treated it as "normal".
The general feeling I have is that White-Asian couples are far more socially accepted than Black-White.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the feeling I get is that the social situations of Asians and Hispanics in the USA is very similar to that experienced by the Italians, Irish, and Jews at the first half of the 20th century.
Back then all these 3 groups had a very high endogamic rate and many contemporary novels commented on how difficult it was for Italian and Jewish men to date "white" girls (Italians weren't considered white at the time) because they were considered as "inferior" to nordics.
Many of the Italian and Jewish gangsters of the 1930s surrounded themselves with blonde WASP molls as a demonstration of rebellion against social norms.

Today Italian-Americans and Jewish-Americans are accepted into "white society". Nevertheless, it has taken them up to 4 or 5 generations. The same would probably apply for Asians and Hispanics.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 08:01
Originally posted by calvo

The general feeling I have is that White-Asian couples are far more socially accepted than Black-White.

Maybe I'm wrong,but the feeling I get is that the social situations of Asians and Hispanics in the USA is very similar to that experienced by the Italians, Irish, and Jews at the first half of the 20th century.

You do have an accurate assessment of the situation in America.My neighbors across the street,very manly American-born Japanese and his beautiful blonde wife.

Even within the White race,there was a class system.Decades ago,Irish girls paired with Italian men considered " married down " Shocked.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 10:14

In the USA, you sometimes find Chinese-Americans and Japanese-Americans who are still pure in the 4th generation.  The racism does not allow them to mix and assimilate in USA.  Although they are now allowing the Asian women to mix, the Asian men are still withheld this opportunity.

I think you are exagerating too much.
Asian American men have never struck me as been marginalized in U.S. society; at least no more than Hispanic-Americans and considerably less than Afro-Americans.
The only place where I see your point is in Hollywood films where most Asian-American characters tend to be female. But again, Hollywood films cannot be taken seriously and often reflect the fantasy world of the directors.

But this does not exclude that Asian-American men have made their share of media through other means, such as rock music. I can already think of several examples:

- Linkin Park (the rapper and the DJ)
- Deftones (the singer and the bassist)
- Metallica (lead guitarrist Kirk Hammet, who is partly filipino)
- Dark Angel (80s thrash metal band where the singer are guitarrist are filipino-american)
- Dream Theatre (the bassist)
- Smashing Pumpkins (the guitarrist)

just to name the most well-known examples...
and I've never heard anyone speak badly about these groups, or even make a fuss about them just because they have Asian members.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 11:51
Well, this thread was about Franklin Chang-Diaz who is grandson of an Asian man.
I intented to discuss the contribution of a typical Hispanic to science, because typical Hispanics are mixed. Anyways, the topics is interesting.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 04:43
I like to talk about science more and in this way to give respect to inventor!Smile
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 10:29

Some of it is media influence and social conditioning too.  At my workplace last week, we had a weekend softball game.  One of the Vietnamese male coworker hit a homerun over the fences and some of the Mexican girls clap and cheer for him, but the American white women did not even look at him.  I realized immediately that some cultures have stronger prejudice than some.

Or they were there to root for the other team.

Calling people racist based on zero evidence is racist itself.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2014 at 17:40
an old thread by guest's who are generally PRC hackers and techno thieves seeking a backdoor. that's why their banned.

As for regional discrimination in the PRC? well known. so it's a anti American slap is all. from years back.

ntl cudos to Dr.Chang-Diaz.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/chang.html
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply