Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thorfinn Karlsefni...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thorfinn Karlsefni...
    Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 02:01
(Old norse) Þorfinnr Karlsefni, (Icelandic) Þorfinnur Karlsefni

I'm a little curious to know anyone's thoughts about him? The little i know is that he was an Icelandic explorer who led an attempt to establish a settlement in Vinland. Also, that his wife gave birth to Snorri Thorfinnsson , the first European North American born in a  Vinland settlement & that many Icelanders can trace their roots back to.

That's about it! And yes i've googled it, but prefer too hear the expressed opinions from others here.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 03:14

I know some about his expedition, such as the fact they were attacked by a (presumably Dorset) whaling party and driven off, after some sort of excitement about the bull they had with them. They were terribly afraid of the float-bladders attached to the whaling harpoons (at least, that's what they are interpreted as being, the Norse didn't seem to know what they were). Freydis does something startling to save the day ...

He's mentioned in Erik's Saga, there is a translation here:

http://www.sagadb.org/eiriks_saga_rauda.en

Go to Chapter 12 for an amusing bit from Karlsefni's expedition.

The expedition also seems to be recounted in the Greenland Saga, but the story is somewhat different. The incident with the ox is recounted, but the Norse send the Skraelings packing (rather than the other way around) and Freydis is a grasping schemer, who plots against Karlsefni's men on the expedition, falsely accuses them of molesting her, has her men capture them while they sleep, and then murders all of them with an axe. 

Translation of that saga here:

http://www.northvegr.org/lore/flatey/001.php

There may have been two expeditions under Karlsefni, ie they wintered in Greenland and then returned in the spring.

Edited by edgewaters - 06-Mar-2009 at 03:17
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 22:10
Thorfin is really a historical person? I am reading a manga called "Vinland Saga" that contains real characters like Kanute and Thorkel the Tall but I always thought that the young protagonist named Thorfin was fictional....he just got the byname Karlsefni in the last chapter, lol...thnx for the info!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 07:05
Originally posted by Vorian

Thorfin is really a historical person? I am reading a manga called "Vinland Saga" that contains real characters like Kanute and Thorkel the Tall but I always thought that the young protagonist named Thorfin was fictional....he just got the byname Karlsefni in the last chapter, lol...thnx for the info!

Thorkell the Tall is a person in the Jomsvikinga saga, but nothing much is written on him Smile
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 12:10
Yeah, I read that on wiki.....I am using that manga now to lure my little cousin in history, he is 10 and thinks it sucks, but Vikings and battles should do the trick for his age. As a history lover, can't stop myself from trying to turn him overTongue
Singidunum View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Singidunum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 03:16
You are certenly not gona lure him by saying that historians are famus rich peaple that drive fancy cars and have crazy parties with beautiful women!Wink
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 04:28
Originally posted by Vorian

Yeah, I read that on wiki.....I am using that manga now to lure my little cousin in history, he is 10 and thinks it sucks, but Vikings and battles should do the trick for his age. As a history lover, can't stop myself from trying to turn him overTongue
It actually does the trick for my age as well.  What does that say about me?  Good ol' blood and guts that's what got me into what I study - Medieval England and the North Sea Crime and Society and Political Culture.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 23:47
By the way, Thank you for the links edgewaters. I already read the chapters you mentioned and i thought #12 was particularly amusing as well. I am slowly making my way through the rest. Thanks once again!

Panther
 Post Reply Post Reply