Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The body/remains of Cyrus the Great

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nickmard View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nickmard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The body/remains of Cyrus the Great
    Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 16:36

Hi,

Does anybody have any information on what ever happened to the body/remains of the Cyrus the great?.

Was his body hidden/moved before the macedonians arrived in Pasargadae?, or did the macedonians loot his tomb?.

I have allways wondered , any information would be appreciated?

Nickmard

Conservative View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 18:37
In Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander he says that the tomb of Cyrus the Great was looted after Alexander's conquest of Persia, but not by the Greeks-Macedonians.
ایران‌ زمین
tullyccro View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote tullyccro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 05:14
Originally posted by Conservative

In Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander he says that the tomb of Cyrus the Great was looted after Alexander's conquest of Persia, but not by the Greeks-Macedonians.

Alexander was an admirer of Cyrus. I can't remember the quote but it goes something like this: he was asked if he wished to view a satrap's tomb and he said something like, "I would rather see the tomb of a real king" in reference to Cyrus. Haven't gotten all the way through Arrian but I don't imagine old King Alex was happy about the looting. He was genuinely reverent of Persian history, specifically Cyrus, I think, and not simply for the sake of political expediency.

Remember that Aristotle would have also had access to Xenophon's writings as well, specifically the Cyraeopedia, detailing Cyrus' ascent to power. Xenophone being a colleague of Plato and a follower of Socrates. In a lot of ways, if there was ever a primer on the intermingling of Hellenic and Persian culture and government, it is surely contained in Xenophon's work. Xenophon himself having to lead a band of Greeks through hostile Persian territories, Cyrus attempting to incorporate his rule by expanding the franchise and authority amongst his generals and lieutenants. Good stuff, Xenophon. Alexander surely knew it.

Edited by tullyccro - 11-Mar-2009 at 05:18
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 11:26
I can't remember the quote but it goes something like this: he was asked if he wished to view a satrap's tomb and he said something like, "I would rather see the tomb of a real king" in reference to Cyrus.

That sounds suspiciously like Augustus' bon mot when, after entering Alexandria, he was paying homage to Alexander's body. Asked if he wanted to see the bodies of Ptolemy (or of the Ptolemies), he replied "I want to see a king, not a bunch of corpses".

per idem tempus conditorium et corpus Magni Alexandri, cum prolatum e penetrali subiecisset oculis, corona aurea imposita ac floribus aspersis ueneratus est consultusque, num et Ptolemaeum inspicere uellet, regem se uoluisse ait uidere, non mortuos. (Suetonius, Vita Augusti, 18.1)

Edited by khshayathiya - 11-Mar-2009 at 11:27
 Post Reply Post Reply