Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Civil War-Which side are you on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Civil War-Which side are you on?
    Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 16:48
in the conflict between the Welfs and Waiblings (Staufer) I would of course side with the Staufer, not only due to the fact that they were the legitimate emperors, they were also more open-minded as their rivals and were not influenced by foreign powers. today there's an attempt to put the Welf rulers like Henry the Lion and Otto IV in a better light, but that's apparently got to do with the fact that the House Hanover and Brunswick (Welf) are still around, whereas the Hohenstaufen are not.

Edited by Temujin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:22
My little hamlet was under the rule of the Archbishops of Cologne then and I'm not quite sure on which side I would have fought on.
My heart goes with the Hohenstaufern as well, a great dynasty, and the fact that Heinrich der Loewe was allied with the English makes him even more unappealing.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:35

lol yes indeed.

actually the archbishop of Cologne played the major part in the election of Otto IV as emperor...the fact that his (legitimate) opponent, Philipp was assassinated was of course neglected in the documentary that i saw just yesterday...

Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2005 at 10:09
I am from Virginia in the United states so I would be a confederate. What makes me mad is the bias that victors do when writing history because the victors of war are the history writers.
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 18:40

In the Russian Civil War of 1917-1921 I would have joined the Red Army. The Whites were deffending an archaic order that failed to accomplish anything.

Yes, and 70 years of communism did wonders for the country...

Anyways, I would have supported the North in the American Civil War. It pains me to say so however, because I absolutely understand and agree with the position of the South. The Union was a hypocrit, denying southerners the right to suceede and form a more perfect nation, as they had done in the Revolution, and as the constitution gave them not only the right, but the responsibility to do. As I said though, I would have to fight for the north unless I was a bachelor without property or family there: can't very well fight to destory my own land.

"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

The Golden Phallanx View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 23:24

Greatest oxymoron ever! You stand for freedom yet you support slavery, and this would make a more perfect nation?

Have you ever read 1984? The nonsense line "Freedom is slavery" which is meant to mock the concept of totalitarian governements and structure who claim that while being a slave, one is free? What you jsut said makes as much sense dude....*shakes head*...

I don't know what we would do without you Americans, after a hard day's work it is good to have comic relief!

We are all a result of what we have lived. Culture, attitude, perspective. For everything we do, there is a reason. There is no true evil, only the absence of proper communication.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 15:50

Although I was born and have lived most of my life in Canada, my background is Greek and it's where I spent my childhood.

Canada has had no civil war that I am aware of, so I would have to look to Greek history.  The latest civil war was during the 50's between the Communists and the Nationalists, and I would have to say that I would fight for the Nationalists.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 21:33

During the french revolution, royalists vs republicans. Also religious war catholics against huguenots, the huguenots were massacred. Also, there is that very old medieval war, the occitans (people from southern France) rebellion against France, it was more like a crusade against catharism in the south.

Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 17:08

Originally posted by The Golden Phallanx

I don't know what we would do without you Americans, after a hard day's work it is good to have comic relief!
What would you do? Probably have to find someone else to fawn to, and then sneer at from behind closed doors. Besides, last time I checked, Canada is part of North America as well, so technically, you're American too.

In the American Civil War, I would have fought for the South.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 17:14
Last civil war in Greece was between communists and nationalists. I would join for sure nationalists, not because i have sth with communists beliefs but with what their actions in Greece for decades.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12