Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

..Bands you Dislike....???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ..Bands you Dislike....???
    Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 20:03

...hello music lovers...or in this case, music haters....

.....Are there bands that you do not like or just do not 'get'??....when i mean bands or musical arists, i mean the well known 'untouchables', the 'sacred cows' of the music business that you fail to see what the attraction is all about???...

..its a bit of fun, so please, all in jest, whether we disagree or not....!!!!Wink

..for me, the top band i cannot stand are The Beatles..no, really, i do not get their music or see what all the fuss is about????Dead....i find it all bland, bland, bland....and yes, even Sgt Pepper, Revolver and the like...all considered 'classic' albums but whenever a Beatles track comes on the radio, i have to change stations to avoid physical damage to my stereo equipment!!!!......

..another pet musical hate is...horror of all horrors..U..bloody..2....blimey, how overrated can a band get....maybe its the 'cool to be Irish' thing that makes them attractive, you know, so 'in fashion' that it would be socially disastrous to admit that you do not like them.....i am dismayed at some peoples reaction when i state that i don't like this band....they treat me as if i have suddenly developed  some form of psychological leprosy..."what do you mean, U2 are crap?..you can't say that"..but i can matey boy...i remember an old TV advert which i think was for the Kit Kat chocolate bar which featured a 'band' auditioning.....the catch line was something like..."you can't sing, you can't play, and you look terrible.....your'll go far"!!!....well, thats U2.....Big smile....

....and don't even get me going on Bruce Springsteen......

..have fun then....vent that musical spleen (in a nice fashion of course!!!)...

...all the best...AoO....
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 20:43
Well, other than the entire modern pop and what passes for rock these days scenes, I would have to say Nirvana.

In my opinion, they have the most amusical, discordant, annoying, grating sound outside of avant garde "noise music" I can think of.  They, along with punk and disco, were the major blow that almost caused the death of hard rock and metal music.  Their influence, in addition to the grunge scenes they spawned, is the reaon why real metal music has been underground for the past twenty years or so.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I would have to say Nirvana. 

..thats exactly the kind of thing i mean....Nirvana....huge, huge band commercially, how the hell did that happen??...actually, i have a  confession....in a weak-willed moment and on the so-called recommendation of a couple of mates, i went out and bought Nevermind...what a mistake and what a pile of poo...so, i contributed to the financial pockets of Cobain and crew...Nevermind, never again...!!!....
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 21:19
Guns and Roses, the band that murdered any respect heavy metal had. It was so good before they came along, and they tried to turn it into pop music.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 22:09

....Guns and Roses eh....a real heavyweight dislike..Ouch.!!!.....seems the damage inflicted on 'real' heavy metal and rock music is a key theme....and on that subject, did i mention that pompous, self-inflated, CensoredCensored, pretentious load of codswallop group called Pearl Jam....yuck...  
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 22:15

Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

..for me, the top band i cannot stand are The Beatles..no, really, i do not get their music or see what all the fuss is about????Dead....i find it all bland, bland, bland....

That's because they invented many musical forms that have since been imitated to death, and have become cliches. You groan when you hear them because they are so old and tired, but at one time they were groundbreaking.

If you want to know why they are considered as important as they are, my best suggestion is to compare what they were doing in about '65 (eg Rubber Soul) to what was playing on the airwaves that year.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 22:30
So the Beatles 65 vs My Generation by The Who.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 22:37

Sure, but the airwaves were still dominated by the crooners.

The Who is (to my ears) a better sound but it was a little too hard for most people at the time, at least in North America. 

This is what they were used to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDcp5xwNFA

Compare to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibX3TejlZE

Edited by edgewaters - 17-Feb-2009 at 22:46
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:11
Led Freaking Zepplin and ACCensoredCensoredCensoredDC

Possibly the suckiest and worst bands in the history of sucking and worst bands

Edited by Count Belisarius - 17-Feb-2009 at 23:13

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:28
I absolutely hate the Jonas Brothers and their pop rock trash. 

Originally posted by Count Belisarius

srry, but i guess you have an ACDC fan here Tongue
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:33
Originally posted by edgewaters

Sure, but the airwaves were still dominated by the crooners.

The Who is (to my ears) a better sound but it was a little too hard for most people at the time, at least in North America. 

This is what they were used to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDcp5xwNFA

Compare to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibX3TejlZE

Now I prefer the comparison

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:34

..for me, the top band i cannot stand are The Beatles..no, really, i do not get their music or see what all the fuss is about????Dead....i find it all bland, bland, bland....

That's because they invented many musical forms that have since been imitated to death, and have become cliches. You groan when you hear them because they are so old and tired, but at one time they were groundbreaking.

If you want to know why they are considered as important as they are, my best suggestion is to compare what they were doing in about '65 (eg Rubber Soul) to what was playing on the airwaves that year.

...no, thats not my reason why, you delve too deeply!!!.....its much simpler than that, i am pretty aware of musical traditions and evolution etc...despite my fondness for all things rockingly heavy and metalified, it belies a passionate interest in all musical forms....it could well be the rebel metalhead in me, and that my dislike is partly based on rebelion against 'popular' sounds.....it maybe an 'anti-fashion' thing....but i think not...Minogue sits comfortably next to Motorhead in my music collection!!!!!Embarrassed  (plus, i am old enough to remember Beatles singles in my brother and sisters record collectionCry)...but for me, The Beatles just don't cut the mustard....i have had countless discussions with Beatle loving friends and i am fully aware of the reasons 'why' they are liked...and it just does not wash with me...i do not get them or their music....i do not think being (arguably) 'groundbreaking' is enough to justify their seemingly god-like popularity either... (imho!!).....

...sorry such opinions do not sit comfortably among the majority, its a risky business not conforming to taste, i recall nearly being lynched in a pub when i voiced my ..er...concerns about Bruce Springsteen not long after he brought out Born in the USA.....OuchOuchOuch....it appeared inconceivable to some of the chaps that somebody could not like the growling one...i had the same problem when talking about Aerosmith with some old American friends..!!!..boy, now that did get a bit tense!!!!

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 17-Feb-2009 at 23:35
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:43
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

...ouch.Ouch.ouch.Ouch..ouch...Ouch..!!!!Led Zeppelin is a fave of mine and was an 'untouchable' for a time, but i can see why they are in the list....Page, a tad sloppy on the guitar, Plant's poncing and over dramatic posturing, the dodgy Valhalla stuff, and god forbid, Bonzo might have been a bit over-rated as a drummer...Shocked....

...its funny, despite my love for metal, AC/DC was  a band i could not get into in the early days, it is only in recent years that i have begun to like them, but only the first few albums up until Back in Black....a friend of mine pummelled away with his AC/DC music at me until i finally caved in and said , yes, 'Let There Be Blood' is a great live album...Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:46
Originally posted by Paul

Now I prefer the comparison

...LOLLOLLOL...John, Paul George Formby and Ringo.....!!!..priceless.....nice one Paul!!Clap
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 00:32

....not to mention around the same decade, Chuck Berry, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, Cream, The Yardbirds, Pink Floyd, Traffic, and Dusty Springfield, Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors (mind you, i never really found the depth in Morrison and co as some would 'discover'), and any number of Motown artists (Marvin Gaye in particular)....and a personal favourite (preparing to be shot down in flames) The Walker Brothers, and later Scott Walker solo releases-what a voice, oodles more talent than John LennonTongue (i can hear the screaming now...Ouch)...

....The Who...one of musics ironies, touted as a 'Mod' band, but probably the most complete rock band ever....stunning group...anybody see Roger and Peter at the Live-8 concert??

....Still, probably not everyones cup of tea...!!!!Shocked

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 01:06

Not to mention Pink Floyd,

You take that back youCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored TongueClown

BTW if anyone says something bad about the Eagles I will personally Texas Chainsaw Masacre yourCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 01:28

...sorry such opinions do not sit comfortably among the majority, its a risky business not conforming to taste, i recall nearly being lynched in a pub when i voiced my ..er...concerns about Bruce Springsteen not long after he brought out Born in the USA.....OuchOuchOuch....it appeared inconceivable to some of the chaps that somebody could not like the growling one...i had the same problem when talking about Aerosmith with some old American friends..!!!..boy, now that did get a bit tense!!!!

Most everything from the 80s blew then and blows now, with the exception of some metal (alot of which blew too, eg Bon Jovi) and a few oddities like Bad Brains.

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 10:16

....not to mention around the same decade, Chuck Berry, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, Cream, The Yardbirds, Pink Floyd, Traffic, and Dusty Springfield, Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors (mind you, i never really found the depth in Morrison and co as some would 'discover'), and any number of Motown artists (Marvin Gaye in particular)....and a personal favourite (preparing to be shot down in flames) The Walker Brothers, and later Scott Walker solo releases-what a voice, oodles more talent than John LennonTongue (i can hear the screaming now...Ouch)...

That's not too hard - even WITHIN The Beatles you can find musicians a lot more talented than Lennon. Smile

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 11:35
Most country and rap groups. White trash and black trash. Pinch
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 12:09

Most everything from the 80s blew then and blows now, with the exception of some metal (alot of which blew too, eg Bon Jovi) and a few oddities like Bad Brains.

...yeah, i tend to agree with you there, being a metal fan in the early 80's was tough, ridicule from most of the other boys who were mostly 'new romantics', or even worse, teasing from girls who thought Bros were the best thing since sliced bread....wearing a scruffy denim jacket displaying band loyalty patches interspersed with a selection of creative stud work did not exactly go down well with the Flock of Seagull's crowd...Cry ...

...Bon Jovi and the rise of 'hair bands' and 'pretty boy pop rock' kind of made metal more 'fashionable' as the decade wore on, but that was exactly the reason why 'true' rivietheads rejected it and gravitated toward the sound of thrash/speed/death metal...which is precisely what i did!!!....anyone for Nuclear Assault or Annihilator!!!...

...Confession time: During the 80's, i kind of enjoyed the odd Pet Shop Boys single release and being a metal nut, could not fathom this out, so i kept quiet believing that i was a traitor to my metal soul, and tried to ignore these unatural musical feelings!!!...i actually do recall that this gave me many problems, my love of rock and metal was so intense (and of course, my lust for rock would be forever and everLOL) i simply could not understand contemplating another musical form....troubled times for a teenager...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>