Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10 greatest presidents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AksumVanguard View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AksumVanguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 greatest presidents
    Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 01:03

Originally posted by Parnell

Aksum, Johnson was a democrat. And Bush clearly issued a series of stimulus packages. And both of you need to read a little history, since basic facts and hagiography are thrown into a package, missing the complexity.

Was Bush really intent on making the stimulus packages work. Its seems it was too late before he they came into play.

Originally posted by es_bih

Both of you Aksum and Tran need to calm down a little bit and take Parnell's advice.

Listen I'm sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but how I am I going over board,I did not initiate any political incorrect motivated remarks. Tran,ES Bih Parnell and  I was only trying to convey my point,I would't say Obama sent underlying racial insignia but what we can both agree on Trans is that he pressed buttons.

Edited by AksumVanguard - 06-Mar-2009 at 17:08
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 08:52
Originally posted by Red4tribe

Yikes this went somewhere I didn't intend it to.

Anyway, the survey is over, I managed to get 130 people to make their lists and these are the results.

1. Lincoln
2. Washington
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Teddy R
6. Reagan
7. Truman
8. Jackson
9. Eisenhower
10. Wilson

And if you would like to keep on going

11. Polk
12. JFK
13. Monroe
14. Clinton
15. Madison

Beyond that I can't consider this list accurate since I asked only for the top ten presidents. Thoughts on the results?

Eisenhower was a good president, but hardly top ten material? And it amazes me John Adams isn't on that list and that Jefferson isn't considered the greatest??? The man practically wrote the constitution, doubled the size of the country and kept the flame of liberty alive during Adams Aliens and Sedition act... (I'm not getting dragged into the 'he owned slaves, how can he be a man of liberty' debate)
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 17:02

Anyway, the survey is over, I managed to get 130 people to make their lists and these are the results.

1. Lincoln
2. Washington
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Teddy R
6. Reagan
7. Truman
8. Jackson
9. Eisenhower
10. Wilson

11. Polk
12. JFK
13. Monroe
14. Clinton
15. Madison

Beyond that I can't consider this list accurate since I asked only for the top ten presidents. Thoughts on the results?

Eisenhower was a good president, but hardly top ten material? And it amazes me John Adams isn't on that list and that Jefferson isn't considered the greatest??? The man practically wrote the constitution, doubled the size of the country and kept the flame of liberty alive during Adams Aliens and Sedition act... (I'm not getting dragged into the 'he owned slaves, how can he be a man of liberty' debate)
Actually Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, Madison was the father of the Constitution.
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

AksumVanguard View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AksumVanguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 18:05

Aksum, Johnson was a democrat. And Bush clearly issued a series of stimulus packages. And both of you need to read a little history, since basic facts and hagiography are thrown into a package, missing the complexity.

By the way,how do you figure to give  advice on some smalll technicality doesn't really matter when I am trying to get a point across. I'm focusing  on individulas legacy to national matters not political analysis.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 19:02

1. Lincoln
2. Washington
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Teddy R
6. Reagan
7. Truman
8. Jackson
9. Eisenhower
10. Wilson

11. Polk
12. JFK
13. Monroe
14. Clinton
15. Madison

Actually Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, Madison was the father of the Constitution.

You are of course correct, that was something of a mistype.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 19:13

1. Lincoln
2. Washington
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Teddy R
6. Reagan
7. Truman
8. Jackson
9. Eisenhower
10. Wilson

11. Polk
12. JFK
13. Monroe
14. Clinton
15. Madison

Marilyn only came 13th? Between JFK and Clinton I notice. Wink

Reagan is of course not unexpectedly up there. Maybe some day people will learn.

Meanwhile CNN International just ran a poll world-wide for the greatest American hero (excluding Obama). Jimmy Carter won.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 20:24
Probably his rejection of the typical american dogma that the world is black and white AKA - his efforts in Palestine.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 21:13

1. Lincoln
2. Washington
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Teddy R
6. Reagan
7. Truman
8. Jackson
9. Eisenhower
10. Wilson

11. Polk
12. JFK
13. Monroe
14. Clinton
15. Madison

Same here. Jefferson was the idealist that perpetuated liberty into the post-colonial world; also he was able to provide a decent dose of criticism against ultra-federalists.

Adams was more of a realist, with understanding that political idealism had to be actualized through certain means. He also saw a sense in establishing certain Federal powers for the sake of preserving and expanding the Union's prosperity. Yes he had his indecisive feats, but Washington did, too.

Washington's war-time conduct is largely responsible for his status as number one rather than his office years.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 21:53
I really like Teddy Roosevelt and of course his famous policy- speak softly but carry a big stick.

Lincoln will always be on the top but he did suspend parts of the Constitution during the war between the states but it was war.   "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History."
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 22:08
Bush did, too. His whole power trip is about his "unlimited" power as Commander in Chief during war-time.

Don't necessarily agree with either of them.
HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 23:21
What about Benjamin Franklin? I think he must be in the first place.

Edited by HungryWolf - 15-Mar-2009 at 23:25

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 23:33
Originally posted by HungryWolf

What about Benjamin Franklin? I think he must be in the first place.

Ben Franklin wasn't a president, but the funny part is that he's on the hundred dollar bill Wink

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 23:54
really funny, but he was a great person
is he the one non-president who is on dollar? :)

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 11:17
Originally posted by HungryWolf

really funny, but he was a great person
is he the one non-president who is on dollar? :)
Hamilton is on the $10.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 19:12
Originally posted by gcle2003

Marilyn only came 13th? Between JFK and Clinton I notice. Wink

Ohh... i am soooo tempted. Evil Smile

Meanwhile CNN International just ran a poll world-wide for the greatest American hero (excluding Obama). Jimmy Carter won.

All political kidding aside, Jimmy Carter is a really nice guy. It's a shame that he is more well know for his post presidency career, than anything substantial he had done during it.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 17:18
What, no love for Mckinley?

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2009 at 03:38
McKinley was not a bad president, I disagree with a few things he did especially his handling of the Philippines but he could have done much worse.

The reason a lot of people over look him is because of the man who took office after he died, one of my favs TR.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2009 at 07:47
1. GWB
2. Washington
3. Lincoln
4. Jefferson

Anfører
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2009 at 15:24
1. Washington
2. Lincoln
3. TR
4. FDR
5. William Harrison lol... cm'on He could have done a lot if he lived more than a month...
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2009 at 15:25
1. Washington
2. Lincoln
3. TR
4. FDR
5. Jefferson
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>