Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tuaregs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
moleson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote moleson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuaregs
    Posted: 28-Dec-2009 at 14:57
You're more than welcome.
It may sound weird but Touareg are considered exotic in Algeria,I've met some of them in the campus and what I found really intriguing  is that they do not consider themselves black.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 09:11
Originally posted by moleson

You're more than welcome.
It may sound weird but Touareg are considered exotic in Algeria,I've met some of them in the campus and what I found really intriguing  is that they do not consider themselves black.
An Ethiopians that I met told me the same thing.  The Touareg seem to resemble Ethiopians and Somalians. Perhaps the peoples are related?

In addition to Berbers, Arabs, Touareg and the Capsian decendents, are there other ethnic groups in Algeria?  Some Italians seem to have stayed in Libya following independence and became Libyan citizens.  Did any French stay in Algeria?

Edited by Cryptic - 29-Dec-2009 at 09:24
moleson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote moleson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 11:39
In Algeria things are slightly different,if Arabic is your mother tongue then you're an Arab regardless of your skin color or your race the same thing applies for Berbers.
I don't know much about  other areas but in my town most Algerians of  European descent came from Italy and France, they've changed their surnames and had converted to Islam,actually they consider themselves  Arabs.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2013 at 07:25
there now tuareg in Ghana living a sedentary lives in the Zongos.... contact me  for more info...

We don't allow phone or skype numbers on open forum.  Hard to tell if your spamming or not.

I saw your home page, very interesting.  We have a poetry thread, I'd like to see you post a couple works.

Edited by red clay - 30-Jan-2013 at 09:41
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2013 at 19:54
What exactly do Tuaregs look like, and what's the difference between an Arab and a Berber?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2013 at 16:29
I had seen pictues of Tuaregs wit varying face features and skin cilor, so I don't think the appearance can be any secure measure of their ethnicity. I had read some genetic studies that place them with North African populations, even with Europeans; so I generally opt for them being descendants of ancient North Arican Neolithic popuation that has a considerable Iberian element.

"...

Abstract

The Tuaregs are a semi-nomadic pastoralist people of northwest Africa. Their origins are still a matter of debate due to the scarcity of genetic and historical data. Here we report the first data on the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) genetic characterization of a Tuareg sample from Fezzan (Libyan Sahara). A total of 129 individuals from two villages in the Acacus region were genetically analysed. Both the hypervariable regions and the coding region of mtDNA were investigated. Phylogeographic investigation was carried out in order to reconstruct human migratory shifts in central Sahara, and to shed light on the origin of the Libyan Tuaregs. Our results clearly show low genetic diversity in the sample, possibly due to genetic drift and founder effect associated with the separation of Libyan Tuaregs from an ancestral population. Furthermore, the maternal genetic pool of the Libyan Tuaregs is characterized by a major "European" component shared with the Berbers that could be traced to the Iberian Peninsula, as well as a minor 'south Saharan' contribution possibly linked to both Eastern African and Near Eastern populations....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19476452

moleson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote moleson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2013 at 17:19
Originally posted by Nick1986

What exactly do Tuaregs look like, and what's the difference between an Arab and a Berber?
Those  Tuaregs  work as camel herders not far from where I live.It was kind of difficult to communicate with them since they spoke very little Arabic.
Sorry I have tried in vain to insert them as images.

Edited by moleson - 05-Feb-2013 at 05:30
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 04:56
moleson, to make your links clickable you have to click on the second icon from left, the little globe, and insert them in, then OK it
http://imageshack.us/a/img547/5939/img0377y.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/5427/img0082rs.jpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12