Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Plagues of Exodus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Plagues of Exodus
    Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 20:08

In Graham Phillips book "Atlantis and the Ten Plagues of Eygpt" he theorizes that the Plauges were caused by the eruption of Thera in the Mediterranean around 1390 B.C.

He believes that the God of the old Testement used or manipulated a natural events to bring about the plague.

Do you agree?
or do you think the events were totally supernatural!
or just a coincidence????

Remember supernatural simply means beyond our understanding. To the Indians gun powder seemed super natural.

Atlantis and the Ten Plagues of Egypt: The Secret History Hidden in the Valley of the Kings
von Graham Phillips
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 03:37
no way, most liely the exodus accounts was written after a massive volcanic eruption in the medditerainian had casued great devastation on Egypt.  This volcanic eruption did many things a later writer could misrepresent as divine intervention, the blackening of the sky, water being choked with ash and turning color, animal mass movements and or die offs etc.  I forget the name of the island that blew up, but it dates from around the same time.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 16:45

were you thinking about the eruption of volcan on the Thera Island?

Perhaps the plagues are reflects of expressions of then living people who were very frightened and worried by this event. I think that they existed and might be really terriblying, but what happened really we woldn't know.   

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 06:04
I have heard several dates for volcanic eruptions at Thera, ranging from 1674 to 1160 B.C.

Apparently ash from Thera has turned up in ice cores at Greenland, and it's not clear which eruption was the big one, the one that wrecked the Aegean civilization.  The most common date I hear for that is approximately 1450 B.C.

What puzzles me is the reference to the Valley of the Kings on that book.  To my knowledge that place has never produced any evidence for the Exodus.  Kent Weeks expects to find it in KV5, the tomb of the sons of Ramses II, but I don't think Mr. Phillips believes that, if he thinks the Exodus happened in 1390 B.C.

If you want evidence for the Exodus, check out Tel ed-Daba, ancient Avaris, in the eastern Nile Delta.  Some very interesting stuff has been found there since the 1980s by Manfred Bietak, from a building with Minoan-style murals (a Minoan embassy?) to mass burial pits for plague victims.  I think even some ash or pumice from Thera turned up there.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 03:26
I watched a program on discovery about Moses over Eastern, where the plagues of Egypt were also explained through a volcanic eruption on Thera. The evidence seemed to be pretty convincing, although some of it was rather circumstantial.
The main thing that worried me was, that the one and only Egyptian source that recalled the explosion and its implications for Egypt was rather thin and vague, and there was only one. Surely, a series of such tremendous natural disasters would surely have been recorded more often.
I believe the biblical account summarises variuos disasters that befell Egypt over a long period of time and makes one event out of it.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 03:56

Wait a minute guys.

Other than the Bible, what evidence is there that says there were ten plagues?  I'm not an expert here, I'm asking an honest question.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 05:44
Originally posted by MengTzu

Wait a minute guys.

Other than the Bible, what evidence is there that says there were ten plagues? I'm not an expert here, I'm asking an honest question.

Yup, I think that might be the problem.
A highly literate culture as the Egyptian might have had a word to say about this as well. But there seem to be hardly any records amongst Egyptian sources.
That's rather strange, don't you think?
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 14:05

Another minute guys.

Outside of Plato, is there any ancient source that mentions Atlantis?

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 16:44
Originally posted by Komnenos

Wait a minute guys.

Other than the Bible, what evidence is there that says there were ten plagues?  I'm not an expert here, I'm asking an honest question.

Yup, I think that might be the problem.
A highly literate culture as the Egyptian might have had a word to say about this as well. But there seem to be hardly any records amongst Egyptian sources.
That's rather strange, don't you think?

I've always found it courious as well . That a group that kept such extensive records don't mention much about things such as the death of all first born sons and such.

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 17:32

Its not as strange as you may think.  Remember, one of our earliest example of political spin comes from the Egyptians.

The Battle of Kadesh............

The one everyone believed for years had been soundly won by Ramesses II but a Hittite version excavated at Boghazkoy has given us a much truer assessment of the battle.   The Egyptians claimed victory but it wasn't even close.  If anything, the battle may have favored the Hittites.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 18:33

Ten Plagues of the Old Testemant:

The First Plague (Exodus 7:14-24)
water to blood

The Second Plague (Exodus 8:1-15)
frogs

The Third Plague (Exodus 8:16-19)
Vast swarms of gnats tormented people and animals.

The Fourth Plague (Exodus 8:20-32)
Vast swarms of flies through the land, spreading disease.

The Fifth Plague (Exodus 9:1-7)
Disease on the livestock

The Sixth Plague (Exodus 9:8-12)
Festering boils on people and animals through the land.

The Seventh Plague (Exodus 9:13-35)
Powerful hail storms that destroyed the standing crops.

The Eighth Plague (Exodus 10:1-20)
Locusts

The Ninth Plague (Exodus 10:21-29)
Darkness over the entire land for three days

The Tenth Plague (Exodus 11:1-10, 12:1-42)
Death of the firstborn. The Passover. Pharaoh let the Israelites go

How could have a volcano done all of this?  Water to blood, Frog infestation, flies, gnats, locust, darkenss for 3 days, death of ONLY the first born, boils, hail?  How could a volcano do this stuff?  It is imposible.  Sure the bible is the only book with a record but so what, i am sure there are other books that are the only books to have something.  What about journals??  Diarys??

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 19:09
Originally posted by Le Renard

Ten Plagues of the Old Testemant/P]

The First Plague (Exodus 7:14-24)water to blood

The Second Plague (Exodus 8:1-15)frogs

The Third Plague (Exodus 8:16-19)Vast swarms of gnats tormented people and animals.

The Fourth Plague (Exodus 8:20-32)Vast swarms of flies through the land, spreading disease.

The Fifth Plague (Exodus 9:1-7)Disease on the livestock

The Sixth Plague (Exodus 9:8-12)Festering boils on people and animals through the land.

The Seventh Plague (Exodus 9:13-35)Powerful hail storms that destroyed the standing crops.

The Eighth Plague (Exodus 10:1-20)Locusts

The Ninth Plague (Exodus 10:21-29)Darkness over the entire land for three days

The Tenth Plague (Exodus 11:1-10, 12:1-42)Death of the firstborn. The Passover. Pharaoh let the Israelites go

How could have a volcano done all of this? Water to blood, Frog infestation, flies, gnats, locust, darkenss for 3 days, death of ONLY the first born, boils, hail? How could a volcano do this stuff? It is imposible. Sure the bible is the only book with a record but so what, i am sure there are other books that are the only books to have something. What about journals?? Diarys??

Read the book and find out what his theories are!! Then you can agree or disagree with them.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 20:03
Originally posted by Le Renard

Ten Plagues of the Old Testemant:

The First Plague (Exodus 7:14-24)
water to blood

The Second Plague (Exodus 8:1-15)
frogs

The Third Plague (Exodus 8:16-19)
Vast swarms of gnats tormented people and animals.

The Fourth Plague (Exodus 8:20-32)
Vast swarms of flies through the land, spreading disease.

The Fifth Plague (Exodus 9:1-7)
Disease on the livestock

The Sixth Plague (Exodus 9:8-12)
Festering boils on people and animals through the land.

The Seventh Plague (Exodus 9:13-35)
Powerful hail storms that destroyed the standing crops.

The Eighth Plague (Exodus 10:1-20)
Locusts

The Ninth Plague (Exodus 10:21-29)
Darkness over the entire land for three days

The Tenth Plague (Exodus 11:1-10, 12:1-42)
Death of the firstborn. The Passover. Pharaoh let the Israelites go

How could have a volcano done all of this?  Water to blood, Frog infestation, flies, gnats, locust, darkenss for 3 days, death of ONLY the first born, boils, hail?  How could a volcano do this stuff?  It is imposible.  Sure the bible is the only book with a record but so what, i am sure there are other books that are the only books to have something.  What about journals??  Diarys??

a volcano did a few of these, the rest obviously didnt happen

Hell I dont think there is any real proof there ever were large amounts of Jews in Egypt!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 23:50
Actually, I was watching something on A&E or Discovery about arahaeologist who excavated ruins in an area known as Goshen. Their finds tended to support a large Jewish populaton in that area, but it suggested the possibility that many of them were Egyptians who had coverted to the Hebrew belief system. I have not got to his theories about the plagues and with school I will not for a while. How is this for fun reading; "Understanding English Grammar." This is for my grammar for teachers course-fun!!! (note the sarcasm)

Edited by eaglecap
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 20:39
Originally posted by Dawn

Wait a minute guys.

Other than the Bible, what evidence is there that says there were ten plagues? I'm not an expert here, I'm asking an honest question.

Yup, I think that might be the problem. A highly literate culture as the Egyptian might have had a word to say about this as well. But there seem to be hardly any records amongst Egyptian sources. That's rather strange, don't you think?

I've always found it courious as well. That a group that kept such extensive records don't mention much about things such as the death of all first born sons and such.

forgetting one thing(that i know of) the destruction of the library of alexandria
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 17:11
Originally posted by white dragon

forgetting one thing(that i know of) the destruction of the library of alexandria

The library of Alexandria was founded under the Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt, much, much later than the events told in the Bible and contained mostly Hellenistic texts and documents.
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 17:03

Originally posted by white dragon

The library of Alexandria was founded under the Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt, much, much later than the events told in the Bible and contained mostly Hellenistic texts and documents.

i know. however that does not prevent them from collecting earlier documents and putting them in the library
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Isis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:30

Personally, I believe some of the plagues were caused by a volcanic eruption. I remember reading a while back (can't remember exactly where I read that) that the eruption caused the silt to rise to the surface of the Nile turning the water a blood red colour.

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 15:50
I heard the pharaoh let them go because the 10th plague, and only the 10th, was not a reasonably common natural phenomenon in Egypt. Up till then he would've attributed it all to coincidence. At least, that's one of the wordings I've heard of it. So that implies the plagues would've happened without help of a volcano since they would've been recurring environmental hazards.

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
 Post Reply Post Reply