Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What primary sourced book R' you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What primary sourced book R' you reading?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 20:58
I love reading primary sources such as the Alexiad of Anna Comnena or the Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar. Are you reading one snow- which??

I am reading an account from our American wildwest in the 1800's

Life Among the Apache by John C. Cremony. It is a real life account of this man's encounter with these fierce warriors. The author lived in the 1800's so you will hear non-PC terms such as Savage but those were the times. The author is a great writer and he helps you to really see how wild the west was back then and he is very discriptive. There is a scene were Cremony is being chased, on horseback, by a band of Apache Indians. It reminded me of the story in the Alexiad where Emperor Alexis Comnena is being chased, on horseback, by those wild Kelts, a term used to describe western Europeans by the Byzantines. It is full of adventure and I give it a triple star rating and highly recommend it.

I could not find an image of the recent copy I got from the library but it shows two Apache warriors and a horse.

Here is a link to a review:
Reviewer: George D. Oarrish

http://www.archive.org/details/lifeamongapaches00cremrich
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 22:58
I read William of Tyre's 'Deeds done beyond the sea' recently, along with Fulcher of Chartres 'Journey to Jerusalem' and Albert of Aachens Historia Iersolomitana, or however its spelt. Was doing an essay though and I needed to analyse and criticise where relevant the sources and how it relates to its coverage of Baldwin I and Baldwin II.

Can't say I have any great love for it, I infinitely prefer reading primary sources for more modern events, such a memoirs of the Irish War of Independence and Civil War. Many of the key participants went on to write memoirs (O'Malley, Barry, Breen, Deasy etc.) and its interesting to read their first hand accounts of their experiences. But reading William of Tyre call the Patriarch Arnulf 'the first born of Satan', and him describe anyone he admires as 'that most blessed man' really drains me I have to say!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 23:17
Originally posted by Parnell

I read William of Tyre's 'Deeds done beyond the sea' recently, along with Fulcher of Chartres 'Journey to Jerusalem' and Albert of Aachens Historia Iersolomitana, or however its spelt. Was doing an essay though and I needed to analyse and criticise where relevant the sources and how it relates to its coverage of Baldwin I and Baldwin II.Can't say I have any great love for it, I infinitely prefer reading primary sources for more modern events, such a memoirs of the Irish War of Independence and Civil War. Many of the key participants went on to write memoirs (O'Malley, Barry, Breen, Deasy etc.) and its interesting to read their first hand accounts of their experiences. But reading William of Tyre call the Patriarch Arnulf 'the first born of Satan', and him describe anyone he admires as 'that most blessed man' really drains me I have to say!

Some of these books sound interesting and I have Fulcher of Chartres about the first Crusade but this copy I have never heard of- Fulcher of Chartres 'Journey to Jerusalem'

"Life Among the Piutes" published in 1883 by Sarah Winnemucca, a native American, is an excellent original source about her tribe and their encounter with the white man. It reads more like fiction than history; which makes it more interesting. I have to buy another copy but if they made this into a movie and did not severely alter it then it would make a powerful epic; it would put Dances with Wolfs" to shame. It talks about an ealier encounter with white people but not the Americans or Spanish; a legend they hold which goes way back in their oral traditions. read and check it out!!

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 23:51
agh... Its called A History of the Expedition to Jerusalem, 1095-1127 sorry bout that
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 09:04
Not reading it now, but I always like to recommend Bernal Diaz' Discovery and Conquest of Mexico as the most readable and entertaining primary source that I know of. The language is plain, the author is suprisingly candid and not as subjective as you might expect, and it reads like a good story, even though it isn't a story at all.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 00:01
Originally posted by edgewaters

Not reading it now, but I always like to recommend Bernal Diaz' Discovery and Conquest of Mexico as the most readable and entertaining primary source that I know of. The language is plain, the author is suprisingly candid and not as subjective as you might expect, and it reads like a good story, even though it isn't a story at all.

Looks interesting and I should head to Borders in Tucson to pick it up sometime. I want to read any primary source about the desert Southwest. I should explore, in english, for any primary sources from the Spanish colonization of New Mexico (state) It would be interesting to read about their first encounters with the Apache Indians or other tribes.
My usual choices for primary sources are either ancient Roman, Greek or medieval European but my focus has changed.

Any primary source would do so who else is reading one?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 14:30
Trying to plough my way through Rikskansleren Axel Oxenstiernas skriftelse och brefvexling, Lettres, instructions diplomatiques et papiers d'etat du Cardinal de Richelieu and various collections of seventeenth-century pamphlets and newsletters, all for the purpose of doing research for my dissertation on the Thirty Years War.
While doing this I'm also trying to apply at least some form of methodology, choosing between various sources, evaluating the reliability of sources and making judgement calls on the importance of the material.
I've learned so far that this particular brand of Rankean Staatengeschichte is both elating and frustrating at the same time. And helluva lot of hard work.
As one of my mentors used to say: 'History is ten percent inspiration and ninety percent perspiration.'
 Post Reply Post Reply