Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Its soo Hot here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its soo Hot here
    Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 10:30
No serious its boiling down under, our southern neighbours have had it hard but its hitting Sydney. Here comes the bush fires. For all those cold snowed in Northerners, think of us poor souls and our struggling air conditioners.

it will be something like 43c by Sunday.

that red number is western NSW -the outback

our poor animals are struggling

sad

happier

race horse under industrial fan and water

water  where you can find it

heat stressed baby ringtail

from www.news.com.au/gallery

Edited by Leonidas - 06-Feb-2009 at 10:36
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 10:45
At least you aren't in Adelaide mate. Overnight lows of 33.9 celcius.

Last week in Melbourne we went five consecutive days of 40+ temperatures. At it's peak it was 44. And we are supposedly one of the milder cities to live in weather wise.

Again though, Adelaide has had practically two weeks of that, so they are worse off. I am so pleased I bought that air con at the beginning of January.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 11:15
Poor animals.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 11:33
Awwwww.

While the -18 with windchill is not comfortable heat is much much worse.

All the animals look so hot it is incredibly sad.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 11:50
The birds look pleased enough. Tongue
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 14:54
Actually they do, though you normally dont see a lorikeet hanging out with a raven.

Parts of the railway buckled in Melbourne not long ago and its looks like its going to be 42c tomorrow, 44 on sunday and it was 41 today. Geez its hot now and its 1:50am, I can smell burnt eucalypts from a bush fire about 20min from here.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 15:25
You had to show the pictures of the poor animals. Now you make me feel like a dick for no real reason...
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 15:29
You can escape the cold, but you can't escape the heat, especially at night. Old people will be dropping like flies, wrinkled semi-cooked flies.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 15:32
This is just a taste of what we suffer here in Saudi Arabia for 6 monthLOL.

A couple of Feburaries ago (which is called winter here) we got 36 celcius and people were wearing coats.

Al-Jassas
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 15:33
At least the 40 yr olds will be the last to go =0
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 18:02
Originally posted by Dolphin

You can escape the cold, but you can't escape the heat, especially at night. Old people will be dropping like flies, wrinkled semi-cooked flies.

I mentioned Adelaide earlier, which is getting the worst of it. Normally their morgue has a capacity of 72, and it typically has 21 people in it at any one time.

It seems an interesting coincidence that after two weeks of averaging +40 temperatures, their morgue is now at 71 body count, and the state government has arranged for emergency facilities to cater to any new corpses. Forensic scientists are working overtime to perform autopsies, lest corpse storage facilites run out. They think the body count due to heat is at least 50 in Adelaide alone, with the elderly being the most at risk.

When I arrived in Melbourne 15 years ago, it was a temperate and almost always overcast city. Temperatures hovered in the late teens to early 20s, with plenty of cloud about. Today the summers have become extreme, with our worst week of hot weather since 1908 which happened last week. Tomorrow the temperature is 43. Rainfall in much of Australia is now in its 15th year of drought. When it gets to that stage, you stop thinking about unlucky weather and start thinking about climate change.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 18:34

Yes poor animals and to think about the vast wildlife of AU too... poor creatures.

Yesterday I changed my signature - deleted the statement about global warming. If someone wants it - feel free to use it.
It was:  There is no need to talk about global warming - but every reason to act.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 18:55
Poor critters and I am in for the same fate once summer begins in southern Arizona. Especially after the monsoons hit it will get very hot and humid but green. My brother told me you cannot hike below 6,000 feet in the summers.

Although he will be at home:
Gila Joe

Name: Gila-Monster-Hissing.jpg

Also him or her:
Mr sidewinder

Name: 2c6f04e3.jpg

Maybe Gila's cousin will join him for a brewskie

Name: MexicanBeadedLizard.jpg
Just don't let them hang around for a bite-

Edited by eaglecap - 06-Feb-2009 at 19:05
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:15
Yes, but there is a cool change on Monday.

While the -18 with windchill is not comfortable heat is much much worse.

I don't know, I think cold is worse.
2-6 degree days with a cold wind and overcast conditions is much more unpleasant than 40.

I suggest an AE conference in Ivanhoe tomorrow LOL

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 06-Feb-2009 at 23:16
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:24
Originally posted by Leonidas

It's pretty cold here right now, but we Canadians end up like that on a fairly regular basis throughout the year.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:31
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

2-6 degree days with a cold wind and overcast conditions is much more unpleasant than 40.

No way! 2-6 degrees is quite nice. Refreshing. If you don't like it, you just put some warm clothes on and you're fine. If it's 40 degrees and you don't like it, you're screwed!! Yes there are air conditioners, but there is heating in winter too. So we're just talking about when you're outdoors and there is no heating/cooling available, in which case the cold can be solved, but the heat cannot.

I agree that -30 celsius can be pretty hard going, but even that I prefer to 40 degrees. You just gear up really good, almost like an astronaut, and then it's just like a trip to the moon or a spacewalk or something.

I think the thing I prefer most about extreme cold vs extreme heat is that extreme cold is clean and pure, while extreme heat is dirty, filthy, swarming with germs and insects and microbes. 

I think the preference probably has alot to do with what you're forced to accept though. If you don't learn to accept winter and have fun with it here, you're just going to be miserable. But it still doesn't explain why so many people here have such a low tolerance for extreme heat, because we actually get alot of that in the summer too. I think it's because the heat is so much less avoidable, it hunts you down and you suffer and there's nothing you can do about it. You can always apply ingenuity and technology against the cold, but outside of indoor heating/cooling there's not a thing you can do about heat.

Edited by edgewaters - 06-Feb-2009 at 23:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:38

Ok, how about Islamabad, with its 45 C summers, -10 C winters and monsoon thrown in? Bloody complainers.

Incidentally, there is a way to deal with the heat and cold as well, wear loose and thin clothes, stay in the shade and drink lots of water. The cold, cover the extremities, wear layers.

Seriously people!
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:42

Originally posted by Sparten

Incidentally, there is a way to deal with the heat and cold as well, wear loose and thin clothes, stay in the shade and drink lots of water.

That helps, but not that much. You'll still be hot.

With enough layers and the right clothes, you can overheat and be pouring sweat even if it's -20 degrees out. So I still say that the cold is alot easier to mitigate than the heat.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:51
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

No way! 2-6 degrees is quite nice. Refreshing. If you don't like it, you just put some warm clothes on and you're fine. If it's 40 degrees and you don't like it, you're screwed!! Yes there are air conditioners, but there is heating in winter too. So we're just talking about when you're outdoors and there is no heating/cooling available, in which case the cold can be solved, but the heat cannot.

I agree that -30 celsius can be pretty hard going, but even that I prefer to 40 degrees. You just gear up really good, almost like an astronaut, and then it's just like a trip to the moon or a spacewalk or something.

I think the thing I prefer most about extreme cold vs extreme heat is that extreme cold is clean and pure, while extreme heat is dirty, filthy, swarming with germs and insects and microbes. 

I think the preference probably has alot to do with what you're forced to accept though. If you don't learn to accept winter and have fun with it here, you're just going to be miserable. But it still doesn't explain why so many people here have such a low tolerance for extreme heat, because we actually get alot of that in the summer too. I think it's because the heat is so much less avoidable, it hunts you down and you suffer and there's nothing you can do about it. You can always apply ingenuity and technology against the cold, but outside of indoor heating/cooling there's not a thing you can do about heat.

I do so agree with this.

The heat does get filthy, and you must keep in mind the humidity we are subjected to in this climate. Which in turn results in all the sweat and grime.

The heat has an enervating effect on people, making them indolent and very casual. On the other hand, the cold is crisp and refreshing and keeps people sharp.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 00:09
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I do so agree with this.

The heat does get filthy, and you must keep in mind the humidity we are subjected to in this climate. Which in turn results in all the sweat and grime.

The heat has an enervating effect on people, making them indolent and very casual. On the other hand, the cold is crisp and refreshing and keeps people sharp.

Yes, my dislike of heat probably has alot to do with the extreme humidity we have here as well. I can imagine if you live somewhere that has a dry heat, it could be preferable to the cold. And actually, the worst kind of cold is wet cold, where it's cold enough to be unpleasant but not cold enough to freeze water vapour or stop it from raining. In that sense, 2-6 degrees can be alot more unpleasant than -20 under the right conditions.

Summertime makes me stinky, dull-witted, and listless. I don't know if it's the heat or the humidity but either way I just can't wait til its over. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>