Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gutenberg Printing Press vs Internet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gutenberg Printing Press vs Internet
    Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 23:33
In your opinion, which invention had a greater effect on the course of history and people's lives.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 04-Feb-2009 at 23:34
What is the officer problem?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 00:12
I would say the printing press (not the Gutenburg one, that is merely the more famous one, far earlier models existed as far as "moorish" Spain if you will). Without that the flow of information would not have exploded literary overnight. For one, the Protestant Reformation owes a lot to the printing presses. The flow of information was by no means astounding when compared to today, and especially not the internet in sheer volume, but relatively speaking it was amazing and something that progressed writing and re-copying of older books much faster. With a bigger volume  comes a bigger dispersion rate as well. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 00:17
Well, I believe the wheel.

With respect to the printing press, I could bet that paper had a bigger impact. And for Internet, I believe it is just the beginning of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 00:39
Originally posted by pinguin

With respect to the printing press, I could bet that paper had a bigger impact. And for Internet, I believe it is just the beginning of it.

The wheel and paper are not within the parameters of the question. Star
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 00:44
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by pinguin

The wheel and paper are not within the parameters of the question. Star

God you sound like me back when I posted a million times a day and things were interesting

I think the internet because I can type that I think the internet is the most influential and someone on the other side of the globe who I will never met in person will read and reply back

Plus Chats, IM, PM, Shopping and making Orders online, blogs, news, Wikis, etc.    

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 01:12
What effects did the printing press and internet have on religion, technology, science, and art?
What is the officer problem?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 01:23
One can look at the Reformation to see effects that a wide spread medium and relatively fast printing times had on religions. Pamphlets could be spread throughout the vicinity and beyond within weeks. Rather than working on a single book and a few copies of that book for the same period of time. 
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 03:05
I'd say both equally but I'd have to give a slight edge to the internet
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 03:47
Yea im leaning towards the internet because it not only revolutionizes the way we live, its basically just another world with all web surfers as its "inhabitants". You can go shopping, play games, make friends, watch prn, do business, browse history forums etc etc. Basically it allowes information to be spread in ways that books can't. 
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 09:00
Internet hasn't had the time to have much of an effect yet, while the printing press has been around for half a millennium. In the long run however the internet may prove more influential.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 09:27

I used to think the Internet, by all appearances, should have had a much more profound effect, but I don't see it happening. There are certain profound changes happening, but they're not really of the same variety. 

I've come to understand why, I think. There are only so many new ideas that are going to resonate with people, and print media were more than sufficient to disseminate those. The Internet is less like the invention of the printing press, more like the invention of the telephone or radio. That's why most of it is so mundane.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 12:20
The internet will emerge in the years to come as one of, if not the greatest invention of mankind. The fact that I can instanteously respond to a question 'what is the greatest invention of mankind' is remarkable in itself, the fact that billions of others around the world can do the same is nothing short of magnificent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:02
I don't think Internet is the revolution, but the digitilizing of information. Internet it is just the top of a huge iceberg of technologies, all pointing out to convert information in all media into digits. MP3, digital cameras, phone systems, communicaction networks and now TV, all depend on digitalization. It is the fusion between computers, electrónic communication and software development, which has changed our world.

I bet, our current Internet will change quite a bit more in the years to come.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:24
The next big thing to impact our human civilization is when they finally design computer chips that allows you to change the channel in ur TV by just "thinking" it
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:36
I agree with es-bih and go for the printing press. They both of course depend on the introduction of writing, which is more important than either.

The internet speeds things up and makes things cheaper. Printing did the same.

(Essentially the introduction of the computer is more the equivalent of introducing printing than the introduction of the internet is. Printing is hardware, the internet is software.)
 Post Reply Post Reply