Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the word stan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the word stan
    Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 21:40
I understand the word "stan" means land...I.E. "Kazahkstan"...land of the Kazakhs...Can anyone tell me what language it is from?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 21:42
Persian, literaly means 'place' IIRC.
In some contexts, grammer demands it become i-stan, eg. Afghan- Afghanistan, or at least something like that i think.
Best to wait for a Persian speaker i guess.

Edit:
Damn, am i fast or what! Go active topics!

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 00:38
Lol thank you
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 02:08

Originally posted by Cywr

Persian, literaly means 'place' IIRC.
In some contexts, grammer demands it become i-stan, eg. Afghan- Afghanistan, or at least something like that i think.
Best to wait for a Persian speaker i guess.

Edit:
Damn, am i fast or what! Go active topics!

Nice. In Swedish stad, in it's determined form 'staden' shortened 'stan', originally meant place too. Now it means city, of all things.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 02:25
Exactly the same as Dutch then, at least the word stad for town/city.
Arrrgh!!"
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 02:44
There's those damn fabled IE connections. Damn Indo-Iranians.

Dari is a pimp master
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 08:11

in Persian it's actually 'Ostan'. German, 'stadt'

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 08:46
Ostan = city ?
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 08:53

No, I was just adding that 'stadt' was the German among the lot. Maybe I should have structured better.

Ostan transliterates to region from Modern Persian.

Kord[o]stan, Tajik[o]stan et al, the change of vowels will be regional variations of the o.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 09:58

Bimar=Sick -> Bimarestan=Hospital
Gur=Grave -> Gurestan=Cemetery
Zam=Cold -> Zamestan=Winter

ast=is, ist=stop, est=stay, istad=stand, ...

Astan = ast+an = is there! or Istan = ist+an = locates there!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 10:12

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

....Zam=Cold -> Zamestan=Winter

Hm..cold.... That's what Zam Zam Cola means!

By any chance, is Zam a Persian or Arabic word? I heard there's a sacred muslim well in Saudi Arabia that's called Zam..?

Edited by Elteber
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 16:32

Yes, -(i)stn means "Land of ..." in Persian (example: Trkistn/Torkestn means "Land of Turks").

That weel in Mecca is called Zamzam (Zemzem).

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 19:42
Burg as in Gettysburg-- that burg means city in german I think
Grrr..
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 16:07

No, berg, burgh, borough, on the end of various city names does not mean city.  It indicates that the city is built around a castle or has a castle.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 18:22
Your question is already answered, so I can only add extra information. -estn/-istn is from the root of "es" and its use in Iranian nouns or verbs varies from the meaning of "standing" to "existing", "to be".

an example:
Iranian: ast
French: est
Greman: ist
English: is

If you and anyone esle is interested in etymology check here:
http://www.geocities.com/indoeurop/project/phonetics/word23. html

BTW, about the German "burg", there's a similar word in Iranian; "borg" which later turned into "borj". It means tower/fortified structure.

And about zam... besides coldness, there's the Iranian word zamin/zemin" (earth) derived from this root. It's similar to Polish zimny, zima, ziemia (coldness, winter, earth) and the Latvian word zemi (earth). Slavic people could probably add more (and correct me, if I'm mistaken).
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 14:16

Date in English means a day or year when a given (dat in Persian) event occured, the land of these dates is the old Persian word Datestan (Modern Persian Dastan) which means story or history.

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 15:52

In the old Polish stan meant government, country (in political term), also social class. There are some old cities like Biaogard and Starogard in Poland bearing suffics -gard remaining an old iranian topoformant. Interesting, -gard varies from usual Polish form -grd.

In "To the Questions of Origin of the Name Hashimgird" S. Kamoliddin wrote:

"The forming word -gird (with the variants -gard, -kard, -kird, -kirt, -jird) has been belonged to before Islamic toponymic layer of the Western Iranian circle of place names, and was widespread on the territory of Iran and Transcaucasia as in ancient times, as in early medieval ages. On the territory of Central Asia it has been brought and spread mainly in the Southern regions of Central Asia - Northern Khorasan and Tokharistan."

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 10:09

Anyway Poland was the land of Sarmatians in a period!

Gard (Avestan Varet) = turn, revolve (Velgard=Vagrant, Doregard=Pedlar)

Gard (Pahlavi Garta) = Dust, Powder

Gerd (Pahlavi Girt) = Cirlce

But the suffix "-gerd" (Parthian Kart, Old Persian Krata , Arabicized Jerd) which forms place names, means "built" or "constructed". For example the famous city of Borujerd in Loristan province was a Parthian city which was built by Orodes, in Parthian sources it has been mentioned as "Orud-kart" (built by Orodes) and in Sassanid sources as "Vorugerd".

There are many cities in Iran with this suffix such as Susangerd in Khuzestan, Darabgerd in Fars, Dastgerd in Isfahan, ...

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 16:56
Yes, Ordu (Orda in Mongolian) was an Old Turkic word meaning Military Camp, I think it was recorded in Han Dynasty sources as a Xiongnu word.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 17:25

Burg as in Gettysburg-- that burg means city in german I think

Zagros is technically right, but in america a burg is an ending to a city. Like I lived in a place called Lawrenceburg (which had no castle). It seems to be an ending that just became synonomous with town when all the german immigrants came over.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>