Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran is the Persian word for Aryan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran is the Persian word for Aryan
    Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 09:48

A good example is the trilingual inscription of Ardashir (founder of Sassanid empire) in Naghsh-e Rustam:

Parthian: Patkar im mazdyazn bag Artaxshahr, Shahan Shah Aryan ke Chihr az yaztan puhr bag Papak Shah

Greek: [I don't know it but I think the first word in the third line is Aryan]

Persian: Patkar in mazdyasn bag Artaxshahr, Shahan shah Iran ke chihr hach yazdan pus bag Papak shah

Modern Persian: In [ast] peykar-e Mazdisan khoda Ardashir, Shahanshah-e Iran ke chehre-i [ast] az yazdan o pesar-e khoda Babak shah

English: This is the figure of the worshipper of Mazda the lord Ardashir, King of kings of Iran who is the face of the God and the son of the lord Babak the king

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 10:14
One might find similar synonims in the Alans' tribal name Iron = Arians.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 10:25
I think Iran and Iron are the same, some Iranian peoples such as Tajiks call our country "Iron".
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 16:11

Could you provide any details of Irans ethnic makeup?

alright i'm spamming since I could just go to CIA world factbook but I really want to become a Commander since I'm so close

Kouros View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kouros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 21:39
sure; currently there are  about  66% of persians living in iran, primarily in tehran, isfahan, shiraz, kerman, kashan and mashad. The rest are in minorities, turkemens(on north-eastern) Azeri turks (north-western and tabriz), Kurds(mahabad=city near iraq with separate kurdish speakers) and some other people of previous nomadic descent living in iran called, Khuzestanis (iraq border), luris (central), Balouchis (pakistan border) and qashqai's (small minority in farming villages) there are also divisions within the iranian rank or aryan lineage such as persians, medes and parthians whose successive indigenous dynasties allowed irans culture to prevail.
Iran:?!]Iran
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 02:23
I'm reading a book about Isfahan (a city in central Iran), in the west of Isfahan there is a region called Faridan, it says in this region there were 188 villages including 62 Persian villages, 36 Turkish villages, 30 Gerogian villages, 25 Armenian villages, 17 Bakhtiari villages, 8 Jewish villages, 4 Arabic villages, 3 Assyrian villages, 2 Kurdish villages and even one Greek village (Alexandria).
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 03:17
LOL sounds like a generous-hosting region
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 04:05

I think most of those villages were built by Shah Abbas the great, of course there are also some ancient villages there, for example this site says about a Jewish village: "18 miles from Isfahan, the little village of Linjan has an ancient Jewish cemetery with tombs inscribed from the second century CE, including the tomb of Sarah, the daughter of the patriarch Asher (son of Jacob)." Source: Freedman, Warren. World Guide for the Jewish Traveler

Some months ago the President of Georgia went to Faridan:

http://www.investorshub.com/boards/read_msg.asp?message_id=3 533455

Later in the day, president traveled to the province of Fereidan to meet ethnic Georgians who had been living there for centuries. After invading Kakheti and Kartli in 1616 Shah Abbas I resettled more than one-hundred-thousand Georgians in the province of Iran - Fereidan.

Although converted to Islam, the Georgian descendents have retained much of the language and Georgian traditions. When Saakashvili arrived in the central town, men began chanting, "gaumarjos, gaumarjos, gaumarjos."

During the brief visit, the delegation distributed Georgian language books to residents. It also became a very emotional meeting for the president.

"I dreamed about coming here and I used to come here in my dreams," Saakashvili told the crowd.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 04:10
What Kakheti and Kartli invasion? U mean Iranians' relocating Georgians?
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 05:22
Not only Georgians but some other nations that I mentioned, I think Kakheti and Kartli are two regions in Georgia.
Sabzevarian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sabzevarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 18:55
Really interesting that it is trilingual, I guess he really wanted to get the message across to everybody
Kouros View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kouros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2005 at 16:43
bakhtiars, arent the primarly bahai?
Iran:?!]Iran
Saki View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Saki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2005 at 00:14

Ferdun is supposed according to available literature to have about ten thousand 'native' speakers.

Some interesting info on Georgia is as follows:

Persians in 17(51?) completely destroyed Tiflis. This arguably helped precipitate their move to the Russian federations protectorship whereupon they were forcibly annexed.

Georgias most famous piece of Poetic Literature is called the Knight and the Panther skin coat: tightly ordered verse on an epic scale it is widely regarded as a Persian style poem with strains of Mystical Sufism

Kakhetian Wine is world famous and the stuff of poems. Georgians are famed for Chivalrous behaviour and ecstatic intoxication-  very much the embodiment of Mystical Sufism and strong features of Sufi poetry.

Eastern Georgia is heavily influenced by Persian Culture. Architecture is simlilar to that of the streets of Tehran at the turn of the last Century. Ethnically many are brown skinned typically Iranian looking in the modern sense of the word and with the removal of name endings like -adze/-ashvili often reveal typically Muslim or Persian origins.

Knowledge is power, and power is the knowledge of when not to use it.
 Post Reply Post Reply