Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

9000 year old mirror factory found in Pakistan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9000 year old mirror factory found in Pakistan
    Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 05:51
Wow I had no idea mirror FACTORIES were so common 10,000 years ago. I wonder how the technology travelled between Italy and Pakistan way back then.

Site older than Moenjodaro found in Sukkur

By Waseem Shamsi

SUKKUR, Jan 22: An archaeological site, about 5,500 years old, has been found in Lakhian Jo Daro near Goth Nihal Khoso in the district of Sukkur.

The find is said to be of the era of Kot Diji.

A team of 22 archaeologists headed by the chairman of Shah Abdul Latif University’s archaeology department and Lakhian Jo Daro project director Ghulam Mustafa Shar found some semi-precious and precious stones and utensils made of clay, copper and other metals during excavation on Thursday. The remains are said to be older than those of Moenjodaro.

Mr Shar told Dawn that remains of a ‘faience’ mirror factory had been found at the project’s second block. It was believed to be of the era of mirror factories of Italy which dates back to some 9,000 years.

He said a painting had also been found and discovery of more such items could establish the site as 9,000 years old, like the remains found at Mehar Garh in Balochistan and Jericho in Palestine.

“At present, we can say that it is older than Moenjodaro,” he said. Mr Shar said that archaeology professors and students from Punjab University, Peshawar University and Islamabad would join the team in a couple of days.

He said the work on the second block would continue for a month and more items could be found.

Sukkur District Nazim Syed Nasir Hussain visited the site on Thursday and asked the project director to prepare proposals for a museum.

http://dawn.com/2009/01/23/top9.htm

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 06:48
That's amazing.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 15:24
Wow I had no idea mirror FACTORIES were so common 10,000 years ago.

Well, they don't mean "factory" in the modern sense of the term. They just mean a place where the artifacts were produced. There are axe "factories" that are alot older, but they just mean a place where they did the knapping. Alot of the time these places were close to where the materials were obtained (eg the Langdale axe factory)

I wonder how the technology travelled between Italy and Pakistan way back then.

It didn't, necessarily. They may just have come up with the same idea. Neolithic mirrors were basically just suitable stones (usually obsidian) polished until a reflection could be seen.

Edited by edgewaters - 23-Jan-2009 at 15:27
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 15:26

Obsidian mirrors? I doubt they knew another kind of mirrors at those times.

MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 20:51
I read on this too.  This is soo facinating.  We are truly living in exciting times.  They've compared the date of this newly archeological site in Pakistan to that of Jericho!

Truly a step forward in helping the people rediscover the history of Ancient Pakistan.

Im curious, as an aside, the people of Sindh in Pakistan, have beautiful hats (Sindhi Caps) that have nice intricate mirrors in them, they are also worn in other Pakistani provinces like in Balochistan and Southern panjab.  Mirror work seems to be part of the culture of Southern Pakistan and incidently where the city of Sukkur is located.

Looking forward to hearing more on this new find in Pakistan. :)
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 21:54
In my opinion, the indus valley civilization is definately the most fascinating to explore out of all ancient cultures. partly because new pieces of the puzzle are discovered all the time.Wink
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

hmmm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hmmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 21:50
Are there any more details on this besides just newspaper reports.  I can already see lot of conflicting account about dates, ranging anywhere from 5000 years old to 9000 years old.   Cannot make out much.  How long was the dig going on,  Any articles?
Nevertheless, a good find.
 Post Reply Post Reply