Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The first Irish-American president

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The first Irish-American president
    Posted: 21-Jan-2009 at 23:38
I was amazed by the trance the whole world got in yesterday when the first Irish-American president. Why do Kenyans care so much if O'Bama was elected?
I am a free donkey!
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 00:15
Da-da-cha Thumbs Up
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 03:57
What about Kennedy? He is at best the second Irish American president.
Why do Kenyans care so much if O'Bama was elected?

Nationalism.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 13:51
Like, oh my Gawd, Irelaaand is going crazy right now!

Or not. I don't think anyone in Ireland really wants to stake a claim to Obama, it would be pushing it a little far.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 13:59
Originally posted by Dolphin

Like, oh my Gawd, Irelaaand is going crazy right now!

Or not. I don't think anyone in Ireland really wants to stake a claim to Obama, it would be pushing it a little far.

O'Bama......Black Irish?  Wink

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 22-Jan-2009 at 13:59
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 14:54
Eh? I do not understand this? Irish-American? Kenya? How do they connect?
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

We're good at breeding. Chances are, everyone has a little Irish Catholic blood in them somewhere...
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 18:23
Kennedy was Irish. 
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 19:59
Originally posted by edgewaters

Kennedy was Irish. 

Thanks edgewater - John F. Kennedy came from an Irish family so he is the second American of Irish roots. What is the big deal- millions of Americans have Irish roots, including myself.

Biographies & Profiles
John F. Kennedy, The 35th President of the United States

There was a lot of prejudice against Irish Catholics in Boston at that time, but Joseph Kennedy was determined to succeed. Jack’s great-grandparents had come from Ireland and managed to provide for their families, despite many hardships. Jack’s

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Biographies+and+Profiles/Biographies/John+F.+Kennedy+The+35th+President+of+the+United+States.htm

For me, race or nationality has no bearing on this but time we tell if he is another FDR or a closet Marxist. I can only hope for the former and not the latter. Only time will tell!! Niether McCain or Obama were my choices.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 20:08
There actually was a rumour around here that Obama's father descended from a Dutch/Frisian missionary named Obbema.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 20:18
Everybody forgot Reagan.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 20:21
Originally posted by gcle2003

Everybody forgot Reagan.

In that case it would make Obama the 3rd-
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 23:36
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

In love.

By Obama's parents.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 00:44

Originally posted by gcle2003

Everybody forgot Reagan.

Not really, it's just I never considered him Irish just because of one or two ancestors. The majority of his background was English (from Surrey, I believe). He had a tiny bit of Scottish too.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 16:06
There was also some fuss made in the papers (at least the UK ones) about him being left-handed. Until someone asked when the last left-handed president was ... oh, Clinton. And before him? Bush, Sr. And before him? Reagan. And before him? Ford.

Southpaws have been doing pretty well in US politics of late. (McCain is also left-handed.)
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 17:08
me too. So do i have any chance to become president of the USA ?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 23:45
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

me too. So do i have any chance to become president of the USA ?

According to Bush Jr. Obama will make a great President because he is a loving father and husband. Which means I am one broken condom away from most powerful job on the planet Big smile
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2009 at 23:50
That would solve the father but not the husband, unless you are already married.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 00:27
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

That would solve the father but not the husband, unless you are already married.

If she is very socially conservative then the whole marriage thing will take care of itself.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 08:25
Originally posted by Maharbbal

I was amazed by the trance the whole world got in yesterday when the first Irish-American president. Why do Kenyans care so much if O'Bama was elected?

Are you serious?
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>