Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Armies of Bactria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armies of Bactria
    Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 17:25

Hi Everybody

I'm doing some study about helenistic armies in the Mid East, and my current subject is the armies of the greek-bactrian rulers, between their independance from the Seleucids and their defeat by the Kushan.

I can gess that the core of the army would be a seleucid-type army, consisting of phalanxs and a few thureophoroy, plus companion-style and persian cavalry. But how about bactrian, indian and Saka influences? And how would these fight and looked like?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Sikander

Edited by Sikander
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 17:41

mmh, try this book:

the book is somewhat general on the area of ancient bactria up to the end of the Kushan Empire and it has osprey-like plates...

don't own the book myself so I can't say if it's good and how much's about the Graeco-Bactrian kingdom, but I have the intention to buy in near future.

Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 12:31

Thanks! I already found it at Foyle's (14.50 + pp). 

Post Reply Post Reply